Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countdown to LC Results 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

I got 410 in my pres and I'm aiming for 480 for law in UCD but I really dont know how I did. Things like English and Irish are hard to predict because honestly its down to the person marking them. I know there are guidelines on how to mark English and Irish but some examiners will have own personal taste in them subjects.
    I was really relying on Art for points because I always expected a B1/A2 in it. My project went really well but that art history paper was disgusting:( But I'm really bored waiting on my results. Obviously I'm petrified about opening them but I just wish it was Wednesday so I kinda had an idea about what I'm doing with the rest of my life ha. Anyways, bottle of wine (or 3) waiting for me for after haha:) Best of Luck to everyone though, chins up! X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Killian1993

Would you say the courses in the 300's (in for example science) will be most effected this yr by an increase in points?

Would you say the courses in the 300's (in for example science) will be most effected this yr by an increase in points?

I think engineering will definitely go up? I also think a lot more people will be heading in the science direction this year because there seems to be better job oppurtunites and everything

Is this a good idea..I'm going to request all my papers (top 6 results) to the school so I can calculate the marks I got per paper, it's possible that a few marks could have not been included in calculations right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

smeal wrote: »
    I think engineering will definitely go up? I also think a lot more people will be heading in the science direction this year because there seems to be better job oppurtunites and everything
    The one year I do my leaving cert, there's a horrible maths paper one, history paper and to top it all off, everyone seems to be going for Engineering too. FML.

Guidance councellor said he's always been able to count the amount of people doing engineering on his right hand (ie, less than 5). There's about 15 in my year going for it, even more going for science.... :(

• Advertisement

I'd say the university science courses would increase by more points then the IT's science courses will.

mtb_kng wrote: »
    The one year I do my leaving cert, there's a horrible maths paper one, history paper and to top it all off, everyone seems to be going for Engineering too. FML.

Guidance councellor said he's always been able to count the amount of people doing engineering on his right hand (ie, less than 5). There's about 15 in my year going for it, even more going for science.... :(

Out of 55 people in my yr 3 put down science.

I'd say the university science courses would increase by more points then the IT's science courses will.

*Screaming while covering ears and running in circles*

"I'M NOT LISTENING!!! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!"

I think the IT's always try and encourage more people to go to IT's by keeping the points realistic. As far as I have heard mtb_kng, a lot of people are going for engineering because there will be so many engineering jobs in the next few years. Although people wanting to study engineering are very lucky I think because there are LOADS of level 7 courses in it. Did you put many level 7's on your CAO? I thought history went grand until I came on here and seen about 500 people claiming they wrote like 25 pages... but i suppose quality is better than quantity!!:)

I think the IT's always try and encourage more people to go to IT's by keeping the points realistic. As far as I have heard mtb_kng, a lot of people are going for engineering because there will be so many engineering jobs in the next few years. Although people wanting to study engineering are very lucky I think because there are LOADS of level 7 courses in it. Did you put many level 7's on your CAO? I thought history went grand until I came on here and seen about 500 people claiming they wrote like 25 pages... but i suppose quality is better than quantity!!:)
    I wrote a page and a half on Ardnacrusha for the "Consolidation of democracy in Ireland". I was an "A" student in history before that exam. Totally blanked. Didn't even think of the Gardaí...

• Advertisement

I wrote a page and a half on Ardnacrusha for the "Consolidation of democracy in Ireland". I was an "A" student in history before that exam. Totally blanked. Didn't even think of the Gardaí...

de Valera came up though, the wee babe! When I seen his name I didnt even read the other questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its not up to the college to 'keep points realistic', they can only do this by messing with the course sizes which I doubt they do on a regular basis
    Some of the questions were icky, dont think I got my A either :(
    de Valera came up though, the wee babe! When I seen his name I didnt even read the other questions!
    Also did Dev :D basically made him out to be a failure haha

*Screaming while covering ears and running in circles*

"I'M NOT LISTENING!!! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!"

Ah don't worry science has increased by around 5%, that's nothing compared to last year, where it increased by 20 something %, It's thought that it will be the courses in the 300's that will be effected. The high points courses don't usually change by much. But if i was going for a science course at 340 i'd be worried..

Even though there was a big increase in points last yr some science courses only changed by little, for example Genetics in DCU went up 10 points from 400 to 410. Then others went from 375 to 420. I was talking to an education reporter and she assured me not to worry about them courses that increased from say 375 to 420 as another huge leap 2 yrs in a row is very unlikely. She's been a reported for 12 yrs on education so I'll take her word for it. :D

Ah don't worry science has increased by around 5%, that's nothing compared to last year, where it increased by 20 something %, It's thought that it will be the courses in the 300's that will be effected. The high points courses don't usually change by much. But if i was going for a science course at 340 i'd be worried..

Even though there was a big increase in points last yr some science courses only changed by little, for example Genetics in DCU went up 10 points from 400 to 410. Then others went from 375 to 420. I was talking to an education reported and she assured me not to worry about them courses that increased from say 375 to 420 as another huge leap 2 yrs in a row is very unlikely. She's been a reported for 12 yrs on education so I'll take her word for it. :D

I'm almost certain I'm in the 300's...

AARRGGHHHH!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Just as long as law doesnt go up!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭begsy

Sick of waiting for these results. :( especially when all i hear all day every single day is people going tic toc tic toc.. Or oh wednesday is your biig day.. You will do brilliant.. etc... I don't know how i idid as i found a lot of papers challenging like biology, (anybody else find biology tough?) and i am praying that i done enough to get a D3 in OL maths... wish it was wednesday already.. :( best of luck to you all..

Just as long as law doesnt go up!!

I'm almost certain I'm in the 300's...

AARRGGHHHH!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Of course it depends on the demand of your course, the points may not go up by much at all......em I'm going to stop posting anymore things the reporter told me about, the last thing i want to do is worry people. I am so sorry I posted this now..I just keep thinking everyone on this forum will get in the 400's, so sorry Mtb_kng, remember nobody can actually predict points per course, just some degree of generalisation

begsy wrote: »
    Sick of waiting for these results. :( especially when all i hear all day every single day is people going tic toc tic toc.. Or oh wednesday is your biig day.. You will do brilliant.. etc... I don't know how i idid as i found a lot of papers challenging like biology, (anybody else find biology tough?) and i am praying that i done enough to get a D3 in OL maths... wish it was wednesday already.. :( best of luck to you all..

I am the same about OL maths! I have always been terrible at maths! I got 38% in my pres and I suppose I did put a bit more effort in afterwards but aaaghh I hate it!!

It was a paper that people were not expecting, challenging indeed, asking q's that just were not expected which meant that if people took short cuts (practically everyone does) they would have been very pissed off on the day, I was because I had studied many topics obsessively. Even the Institute of education which always give positive feedback about papers said that this one was very demanding and unfair in parts

• Advertisement

I am the same about OL maths! I have always been terrible at maths! I got 38% in my pres and I suppose I did put a bit more effort in afterwards but aaaghh I hate it!!

omg i got the exact same 38% in my pres... just hoping i'll get an irish bonus to bring me up over the 40 mark... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

. Things like English and Irish are hard to predict because honestly its down to the person marking them. I know there are guidelines on how to mark English and Irish but some examiners will have own personal taste in them subjects.
    If it means anything, you're wrong on this; at least in respect of English (I can't speak for the Irish exam, as I am not an examiner of that subject).

There are very stringent and quite rigid criteria guiding the examiner's red pen and the intensity of the system of checks, double checks and triple checks is such that there is very little chance of personal taste having any bearing on the outcome. Which is not to say that mistakes are impossible; best of luck and do not hesitate to request a recheck if you're not happy.

In the meantime, check out the documentary 'Man on Wire' - it'll ring a bell and pass the time.

It was a paper that people were not expecting, challenging indeed, asking q's that just were not expected which meant that if people took short cuts (practically everyone does) they would have been very pissed off on the day, I was because I had studied many topics obsessively. Even the Institute of education which always give positive feedback about papers said that this one was very demanding and unfair in parts

i was never good at biology anyways so that pper made sure i was goona fail it... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

em I'm going to stop posting anymore things the reporter told me about, the last thing i want to do is worry people.

If you can tell me the points changes in Engineering in UCD and Trinity, please, do go on. Worry is gone from my system now, I'll just be happy if I get a place. If I don't, I'll repeat, and murder next year's exams. Sin é, fellahs.

born2bwild wrote: »
    If it means anything, you're wrong on this; at least in respect of English (I can't speak for the Irish exam, as I am not an examiner of that subject).

There are very stringent and quite rigid criteria guiding the examiner's red pen and the intensity of the system of checks, double checks and triple checks is such that there is very little chance of personal taste having any bearing on the outcome. Which is not to say that mistakes are impossible; best of luck and do not hesitate to request a recheck if you're not happy.

In the meantime, check out the documentary 'Man on Wire' - it'll ring a bell and pass the time.

Hmm well I've had my essays marked by several different teachers, 2 of which I know have marked the papers in previous years, and they all gave different marks/comments. That put me off English in 6th year, the fact that nobody ever told me what I was doing right or wrong properly. I just hope you're right! Haha Man on Wire:)

If you can tell me the points changes in Engineering in UCD and Trinity, please, do go on. Worry is gone from my system now, I'll just be happy if I get a place. If I don't, I'll repeat, and murder next year's exams. Sin é, fellahs.

Oh the reporter basically said this area (eg: agricultural science) should increase by a lot. Or Law should drop again this yr, or pharmacy should increase....etc

She basically gave me a few trends

Nothing specific, eg: Genetics in DCU will increase by exactly 5 points this yr :) that is impossible to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I may be wrong but I'd say that no one (Not even the course providers themselves) know what the points will be for their courses just yet.

As far as i'm aware, the points printed in newspapers and on Qualifax are the points of the lowest-scoring candidates who were accepted on courses in question.

For example, if a course had 300 available spaces and 5,000 applicants who met the matriculation requirements then the admissions office would make an offer to the top 300 of that group of 5000. The candidate who scored the least number of points in that top 300 who received an offer would act as the cut off point for the course. So, if the lowest-scoring successful candidate scored 450 then 450 would be the "Round one Points" published for the course. If multiple candidates were at 450 then they would use random selection to choose who to make offers to.

If say ten people rejected their offer then the admissions office would make offers to the next top 10 candidates in round two. The points of the lowest scoring candidate in round two points would then act as the "Round two points" of a course.

All of the above is based on a bit of what I read on boards throughout the year and some educated guesses so may not be entirely accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Is this a good idea..I'm going to request all my papers (top 6 results) to the school so I can calculate the marks I got per paper, it's possible that a few marks could have not been included in calculations right?

YES. Do this. I cannot recommend it enough. Friend of mine asked for her chemistry paper because she felt she had done better...turns out she got full marks in a question and the examiner forgot to add it in. Now I know that's checked and everything so unlikely to happen very often but hey it brought her up 10 points!

Actually, I'd request them all, not just the top 6, in case your seventh was badly marked and would've been better than your sixth. Why not? It doesn't cost you anything to look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

with regard to the maths, i was talking to a teacher who was correcting scripts from up north halfway through July, and she said there was an awful lot of D's, a few C's, extremly few B's, and like one or 2 A's. but that isnt all bad news as that surely means that they must have changed the marking scheme to keep to the grade curve!!

still tho im absolutly bricking it about the 17th :( the pressure has got so much im actuly getting tension headaches everyday for the last week :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I thought section 1 of the biology paper was lovely..I answered all of it! But then I moved on to section 2 and 3, and I was sickened tbh. I'd put so much work in to biology, and was always an A student, and that paper just screwed me over a bit. I learned my ecology stuff so well, knew it backwards, and the ecology question was complete poop.:(

Advertisement