Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countdown to LC Results 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭aoife_bennett

ChloeElla wrote: »
    I'm thinking she didn't have the guts to dump him & thought going to another continent would solve it.

Haha what a woman. . . 'yeah, babe, I don't wanna see you anymore so I'm off to Australia. . . there's an unreal degree there!!' Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

Cathal1992 wrote: »
    Anyone here who found PHYSICS a pain in the ass ? I had one of the top teachers in the country last year for Physics and I worked my @$$ off all year for it. Secion A was lovely Section B was rough... Id say I only got 4/5 questions completely right =/

ive struggled with physics HL for the 2 yrs but i did a fair amount of study at theend and overall i thought it was a nice paper. can i ask if you got 4/5 completly right, how was it a pain in the a$$??
    GSI wrote: »
    what time are the schools opening at? :confused:

its different everywhere but i would say no earlier than 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

Haha what a woman. . . 'yeah, babe, I don't wanna see you anymore so I'm off to Australia. . . there's an unreal degree there!!' Genius.

And his attempt to win her back.. "No babes, please, come to Cork instead!" He's a real charmer. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

My opinion:

To those of you who think you won't do well, just remember there will be loads on here come results day saying how they got 400 - 500+ points and how wonderful they are. It may be the case with some but there will be a lot of them who lie and just up their score by a hundred points to make themselves feel better. I seen it last year and know a few friends who did it on Facebook. I don't have anything against it but I know it can make the people who didn't get that feel they did worse than everyone else.

I didn't see many on here bragging about getting 150-320 points last year. So this place isn't the greatest for making yourself feel better after getting poorer results than expected. If it's what you needed then there should be nothing to worry about. Basically don't be worried whatever score you got, there will be a lot of people in the same situation who didn't get what they wanted this year.

I am a repeat this year myself and got 320 points last year. I had always intended to repeat anyway but I did think I had done a lot better last year. I was the second youngest in my year so I always felt I was never as mature as my other classmates. Instead of focusing on courses last year, I was focusing on repeating. I can honestly say it was one of the best things I have ever done during my time at secondary school. It's amazing how much of a difference a year can make in terms of your overall maturity. You pick up things at a faster rate and understand what the teacher is saying a little easier.

My only real gripe about repeating is that you can get really lazy/bored going over stuff you did in your last year but there are times where you pick up new pieces of information you really should have known the year before. Socially, it can be a real pain because most of my friends went on to third level education. There was about seven people (out of a year of over a 100) who repeated with me but I didn't know them very well because I never hung around with them.

Another thing is you'll quickly notice is the new students you are with will seem very immature due to you being used to your classmates acting slightly more mature at the end of the previous year. You might get dragged into it but for safety I made friends with my fellow repeats as they were in the same situation as me. Overall I am very happy I repeated and now I am awaiting my results like most people here. However this time I am doing three more higher level subjects so I really don't know how I did. The mocks are a terrible evaluation of how well you think you are going to do, in my opinion anyway. I do know however that I did a lot better and know a lot more than I did last year.

I would recommend repeating to anyone who didn't get what you expected/wanted. Don't go for a course you really don't want. Do what you have to do to get where you want to go. There is always other options and opportunities in life other than just the leaving cert anyway. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

is anyone else still debating the giant "in public or in private" choice?

I honestly don't know if I want the support/experience of opening them with my friends or having the privacy of my own room so I can console myself/celebrate without upsetting anyone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,669 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Pretty sure ill just rip the envelope open the second I get it

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cathal1992

GV_NRG wrote: »
    ive struggled with physics HL for the 2 yrs but i did a fair amount of study at theend and overall i thought it was a nice paper. can i ask if you got 4/5 completly right, how was it a pain in the a$$??

Well 3 experiment questions are what , 30% of the entire paper , then Q5 is 14% and question 10 is another 14% which is 58 %. Mechanics Question , the electricity question both screwed me over and I blanked on the Sound question. Personally for me , in a subject I spent so much time slogging over and looking for that A which I thought I could get , it was a pain. It just seemed like a totally different approach to the past papers , the examiner took a more "practical" approach to the paper and it threw me really...

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

I'll probably go home, sit down, light a few candles and play this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOl4oeHZnBk All the while chanting my mantra, "I believe in miracles," over and over again.

Then eventually open it, look the bitter disappointment in the eye, backhand it and shout, "I never loved you!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Cathal1992 wrote: »
    GV_NRG wrote: »

Well 3 experiment questions are what , 40% of the entire paper , then Q5 is 14% and question 10 is another 14% which is 70 %. Mechanics Question , the electricity question both screwed me over and I blanked on the Sound question. Personally for me , in a subject I spent so much time slogging over and looking for that A which I thought I could get , it was a pain. It just seemed like a totally different approach to the past papers , the examiner took a more "practical" approach to the paper and it threw me really...

that latent heat one threw me off, I think I managed at least attempt marks because I stuck down the whole 'Heat lost=Heat gained', but my calculations were way off because of the confusing wording of the question.

Loved the fact that I went over Sound the night before and remembered harmonics :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Definitely want to open on my own, don't want to be listening to the boasting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Balls in open it straight away. It's like a plaster you have to do it quick and get it over and done with.

Do you remember that 3Q Q and they touch off each other question? Jeez I wrote down a load of crap for it , dunno if any of it was right though :P
    I was just unlucky with the paper :S I remember looking at the steam experiment the night before and said it wouldnt come up as it was on section A in 2010.... In the end I was screwed over by Steam and Milk in Physics.... Who'd a thunk it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

bscm wrote: »

I honestly don't know if I want the support/experience of opening them with my friends or having the privacy of my own room so I can console myself/celebrate without upsetting anyone...

Private definitely for me. I'm not planning on telling anyone what I get though, to avoid all potential oppurtunities for people to compare my results to anyone elses.

Also, I'm just paranoid I'll fail or something:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Edana

bscm wrote: »

Im stilll debating :/ I never thought about the whole 'where will I open the envelope' situation until i started reading this thread:( Whats everyone else doing?

I know my principle would be dying to know whether I was happy or upset with my results so all I know is I won't be opening them in front of her.

I dont have a car and will be walking to school to get my results(15min walk) so I defo couldn't wait till I got home again to open sooo as of this very min, I have decided to barricade myself in the disabled toilet so no one can hear me cry or scream and so that I can add up points in peace and without the usual nosebags trying to compare :D

Why wouldn't you tell somebody what you got? Bit odd..and unless you go to a school full of dickheads nobodys going to brag about their results..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    All the while chanting my mantra, "I believe in miracles," over and over

:pac:

Im getting my results online. Its easy , fast , and you dont have any tossers pestering you. In the end of the day its none of their business

What time do people thinks the best?

AdamD wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you tell somebody what you got? Bit odd..and unless you go to a school full of dickheads nobodys going to brag about their results..

I'll tell a good few, but after, there's ab awful lot of dickheads in my school unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

AdamD wrote: »

Odd? Really?:confused: You don't have to go to a school full of dickheads..it's amazing how perfectly sound people turn in to the biggest nosebags when it comes to this sort of stuff. Most of them probably don't even realise that they're being a tad intrusive or insensitive because of all the excitement and the hype.

• Advertisement

As long as I'm happy with what I got I don't mind telling people :) I just want a couple of mins to myself to process it all before the question of the day starts .. 'what ya get?' 'what ya get?' ..

Unfortunately I know there will be people who will brag in my school and not even think of the people who are disappointed with their results :(

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

I'm opening them with my friend who did the Leaving Cert last year and is coming in with me Wednesday for some serious moral support! Our principal apparently gives a big speech before he hands out the results so I'm considering going in at 9.15 to avoid having some sort of maniac attack while listening to him.

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Odd? Really?:confused: You don't have to go to a school full of dickheads..it's amazing how perfectly sound people turn in to the biggest nosebags when it comes to this sort of stuff. Most of them probably don't even realise that they're being a tad intrusive or insensitive because of all the excitement and the hype.

Theyed nearly be on top of you before you get a chance to look, thays very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

but you have to wait untill 12 to get it on the internet? thats a full 3 hours after you could collect it :P and if you dont want people nagging you, walk out of the school with your closed envelope and go far far away to your car, and lock the doors, and open it, and then go home with peace of mind :)

Just seems overly protective and secretive to not want to tell people what you got. And people won't be as nosy for this as they are for normal exams...I'm still fully expecting my mates to ask what I got, why wouldn't they?

And if you do badly, you'd be better off talking to people than keeping it secret and not going out or what not

I remember my JC results. "I bet you got 7 A's" -- I got few B's and C's and I didnt hear the end of people talking about it for 6 weeks. The same happened last year in the LC to people I know.. People like to feel superior then others and want to compare themselves to others all the time.

You don't have to go to a school full of dickheads..it's amazing how perfectly sound people turn in to the biggest nosebags when it comes to this sort of stuff.

couldn't put it better myself.. unfortunately

When we opened our JC results I only got questions from people I was good mates with or people asking what I got in a particular subject where I sat beside them or whatever, they'll be more worried about their own and their good friend's results to give a **** about random people in their year who they'll want to 'make fun of' tbh

And meh , I dont mind waiting till 12. My schools not giving them out till 11 anyway so an extra hour is no hassle :P Ill be having a mug of tea opening it , and if its good Ill be straight away taking swigs of whiskey and gettin on with the sesh :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

I agree. I went in with my friend last year to get her results and she didnt get what she wanted and was quite upset. There was loads of people poking in and asking what she got and even when my friend didn't ask them what they got out of respect they told her anyways. So yeah, I agree people get wound up in the hype of it.

Advertisement