Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we go through the horrors after a nights drinking?

• 31-07-2011 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

As the title says..

I was at a wedding on friday, drank a fair good bit.

I died all day on Saturday and on Saturday Evening, I started to feel really bad emotionally... I started thinking about my dad who is six years dead,and about death in general as well as other things that totally depressed me..I could only sleep for short periods of time and would wake up in sweat and would find it hard to go back to sleep.
    I dont go drinking that much but its after the big nights that I start to feel like this..Thankfully I'd have the knowledge that it is to do with the alcohol in my body and that tomorrow I will feel better.I know some of my friends have the same reaction too, and some people say at night they can feel Rats crawling all over them when they try to go to sleep..

So my question,

Does anyone know why we feel like this after a hard night on the beer.?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

DTs.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

Its a fact, alcohol is a depressant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

F*cking love the gargle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

i had 2 bad nights one was pernod and black in nightclub felt fine felt fine then hit the freash air outside and went green then another night was on the black stuff all day then drank baileys gawd ever threw up curdled baileys aint nice missed everything got it just aimed at shower luckily stank for at least a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

LoanShark wrote: »
    As the title says..

I died all day on Saturday and on Saturday Evening, I started to feel really bad emotionally... I started thinking about my dad who is six years dead,and about death in general as well as other things that totally depressed me..I could only sleep for short periods of time and would wake up in sweat and would find it hard to go back to sleep.
    I dont go drinking that much but its after the big nights that I start to feel like this..Thankfully I'd have the knowledge that it is to do with the alcohol in my body and that tomorrow I will feel better.I know some of my friends have the same reaction too, and some people say at night they can feel Rats crawling all over them when they try to go to sleep..

So my question,

You've got the fear son, it happens after a good nights drinking, you'll be grand after a good nights sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭KilOit

Got it bad on holidays recently, thought i was going to die, not a nice feeling at all, took about 3 days to fully recover, but drinking the next night eased the paranoia and panic attacks. Good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I don't drink alcohol, could never understand the appeal of the crap drug.

Caffeine is the best drug to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Min wrote: »

One can only presume that you live by the maxim " don't knock it until you've tried it"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Gotta keep the devil down in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Min wrote: »

MDMA ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Earliest signs of DTs can be the three T's—temperature elevation, tremor and
    tachycardia (rapid heartbeat). The affected individual can experience anxiety, restlessness, nausea, and impaired sleep. These occur because a portion of the nervous system responsible for regulating basic bodily processes, the sympathetic system, jumps into overdrive.You will be grand in a day ot two,drink plenty of liquids.Not alcohol ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

orourkeda wrote: »
    One can only presume that you live by the maxim " don't knock it until you've tried it"

I have tried it enough times to know it is over rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

and some people say at night they can feel Rats crawling all over them when they try to go to sleep..

A lot of my mates say this too but they are sleeping rough at the moment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

****ing junkies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭blacktalons

As the title says..

So my question,

this will cheer you up :pac:
    http://youtu.be/Vl1NQi_Vit0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

How epic would life me if drink (or a massive amount of it to be exact) didnt cause such feelings of utter uafasachness. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

It's best avoided by going for the soft landing. One or MAX two beers the evening after a major one to keep the heebie jeebies at bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

chakotha wrote: »
    It's best avoided by going for the soft landing. One or MAX two beers the evening after a major one to keep the heebie jeebies at bay.

Yip it's the best thing for it. 3 pints and then bed where you will have a normal night's sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Dunno, but looking forward to them tomo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

That's my remedy aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

Horrors in work yesterday all day. Went for the cure literally 2 bulmers did it... but I kept going and went on a session.

Sitting in with the fear on a Bank hol Sunday- **** me life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

kfallon wrote: »
    Yip it's the best thing for it. 3 pints and then bed where you will have a normal night's sleep

Yeah, its the best, sort you out the next day.

But you can't finish on an odd number, so I'd go for four just to round it off.

Any advance on four?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

Xanax if you can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Have a fap. Dopamine release will sort you out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Drink 8 litres of water in the day you won't get drunk proven fact! You be sober as a judge though but you won't have a sore head and hangover the next day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Valium/Xanax is your friend. Theyre a symptom of alcohol withdrawal, not just a bad hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Skid wrote: »
    Yeah, its the best, sort you out the next day.

But you can't finish on an odd number, so I'd go for four just to round it off.

Any advance on four?

Heh no I'm talking about medicinal best administered at home. A beer or a glass of wine. T'pub is dangerous territory when you are cured and polishing off the fourth. Hmm home? ... no contest. Beer! 5th beer and starting to feel the pulse. God bless bank holiday Sundays. What about 6?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The main reason for the pounding headache aspect of a hangover isn't poisoning, it's in fact simply dehydration.
    Alcohol is a diuretic - it makes you p!ss far more often than usual and this rapidly accelerates water exhaustion. Couple this with sweating from dancing, being in a hot place, or hitting on a wetser at the bar and knowing you're failing miserably, and you have a recipe for complete and total dehydration by morning.

If you drink a pint of water in between every alcoholic drink you have - or failing that, drink a HUGE amount of water when you get home and before you go to bed - you are extremely unlikely to end up with a headache. The upset stomach is caused by other factors but to be honest, I can handle that, that doesn't bother me so much and usually doesn't last too long. I can't stand the headaches though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Have a fap. Dopamine release will sort you out

Climaxing releases prolactin which actually inhibits dopamine, hence why you lose all your motivation and drive right after a fap. Prolactin also makes you feel fairly sh*te emotionally after a while.

I wouldn't recommend it at all with a hangover.

Advertisement