Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we go through the horrors after a nights drinking?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Tehachapi

Alcohol is a harmless drug because it's legal.

But marijuana on the other hand is actually the work of satan, and kills people! Oh and it also turns you into a heroin/cocaine/crack addict after a few weeks by means of your local "drug pusher".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Tehachapi wrote: »
    Alcohol is a harmless drug because it's legal.

But marijuana on the other hand is actually the work of satan, and kills people! Oh and it also turns you into a heroin/cocaine/crack addict after a few weeks by means of your local "drug pusher".

You been watchin reefer madness again?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭Degag

I've never had rats yet. I've had teeth breaking and falling out of my mouth plenty of times though. Not recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cman24687

1 nights drinking isnt enough to get the horrors proper. i usually get them after at least 3 days of drinking straight all day and all night and then suddenly stop. what happens is your nervous system get used to being affected by the alcohol and becomes dependant on it and when the alcohol is taken away all your nerve synapses fire up at once and cause symptoms like shaking, sweating, extreme anxiety, low confidence and fear of impending doom, sometimes you see rats or spiders running up you bedroom wal. it really feels awful, i just got over a bad dose of them a few days ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Min wrote: »
    I don't drink alcohol, could never understand the appeal of the crap drug.

Caffeine is the best drug to take.
    orourkeda wrote: »
    One can only presume that you live by the maxim " don't knock it until you've tried it"
    Min wrote: »
    I have tried it enough times to know it is over rated.

Altar wine doesn't count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

LoanShark wrote: »
    As the title says..

I was at a wedding on friday, drank a fair good bit.

I died all day on Saturday and on Saturday Evening, I started to feel really bad emotionally... I started thinking about my dad who is six years dead,and about death in general as well as other things that totally depressed me..I could only sleep for short periods of time and would wake up in sweat and would find it hard to go back to sleep.
    I dont go drinking that much but its after the big nights that I start to feel like this..Thankfully I'd have the knowledge that it is to do with the alcohol in my body and that tomorrow I will feel better.I know some of my friends have the same reaction too, and some people say at night they can feel Rats crawling all over them when they try to go to sleep..

So my question,

Does anyone know why we feel like this after a hard night on the beer.?

You are very dehydrated

Water

Iced cool water

Lots of it

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

El Siglo wrote: »

Clicked that link there……never knew the DTs were known as the "irish jig".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

As the title says..

I died all day on Saturday and on Saturday Evening, I started to feel really bad emotionally... I started thinking about my dad who is six years dead,and about death in general as well as other things that totally depressed me..I could only sleep for short periods of time and would wake up in sweat and would find it hard to go back to sleep.
    I dont go drinking that much but its after the big nights that I start to feel like this..Thankfully I'd have the knowledge that it is to do with the alcohol in my body and that tomorrow I will feel better.I know some of my friends have the same reaction too, and some people say at night they can feel Rats crawling all over them when they try to go to sleep..

So my question,

You are very dehydrated

Water

Iced cool water

Lots of it

That was also a year ago, if he was waiting for your post he would be dead now! :P

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's very simple - drink less. Civilised continental-style drinking won't do that to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

People who are prone to depression tend to get more severe hangovers too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

weedhead wrote: »
    Its a fact, alcohol is a depressant

Alcohol being a depressant doesn't mean it causes depression. It's a different context. It's called a depressant because it depresses excitability etc (and i don't just mean sexually).
    Depressant drugs are actually taken to treat things like anxiety.

So alcohol doesn't normally make you depressed. It's most likely the lifestyle caused by the alcohol that would cause the depression.

I'd imagine the reason we feel crap after being on the drink is just because our body is exhausted and our metabolism can't keep up with breaking down the drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

The only horrors I've had are either cringy flashbacks and that one hour morning panic attack I had from hitting the Vodka and red bull a while ago.

Seriously. Pubs and clubs should not be allowed offer alcohol with energy drinks. They're heart attacks in a glass. Trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Worst dose I have ever had was after 3 days and nights of drinking, never ever doing that again. It's not possible to explain how you feel using words, the mental side of it is horrific

I wasn't right for almost a week after it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I get terrible anxiety every single time I have a bit too much to drink.

One Xanax in the morning does the job perfectly!

I haven't had a hangover in a long time, I just sleep for 15 hours after drinking, little mouthwash and I'm feelin' fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I get the worst mind numbingly horrendous hangovers. I have literally spent 24 hours following a session, curled up on the bathroom floor begging for God to save me from the nightmare. Pure anxiety, panic attacks and puking along with other symptoms that would cause you to spend time in your bathroom. Until I found the answer - And believe me I spent years looking for a cure.

1 large pint of cold water before bed.
    2 neurofen plus and 1 pint of water when I wake. Cures the headache
    1 Xanax tablet 0.5mg the pink one or 2x0.25mg cures the anxiety
    Fresh air and food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

lukesmom wrote: »
    I get the worst mind numbingly horrendous hangovers. I have literally spent 24 hours following a session, curled up on the bathroom floor begging for God to save me from the nightmare. Pure anxiety, panic attacks and puking along with other symptoms that would cause you to spend time in your bathroom. Until I found the answer - And believe me I spent years looking for a cure.

1 large pint of cold water before bed.
    2 neurofen plus and 1 pint of water when I wake. Cures the headache
    1 Xanax tablet 0.5mg the pink one or 2x0.25mg cures the anxiety
    Fresh air and food

Will I be able to drive as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Anyone that takes years to figure out to drink water and have some painkillers while they're hungover... I don't know. I don't want to be really offensive so I'm at a loss. Throw in some vitamins and a coffee the day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cman24687

most of ye are talkin about simple hangovers after a heavy night out, this wiki article describes what you feel after you were to drink flat out for 3 days or more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_withdrawal a step on from that is the delerium tremens but which are usually only felt by serious alcoholics who stop drinking and can actualy be life threatening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

As the title says..

So my question,

Recentley lv notice l get really depressed when l drink a good bit. One night l a nagan & bottle of wine, started crying to my cousin who l barely know over my dad whos bit of a b***** so embarressing:( sstill cringe at the thought, l hate being one of those drunk girls whos always crying on a night out! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Recentley lv notice l get really depressed when l drink a good bit. One night l a nagan & bottle of wine, started crying to my cousin who l barely know over my dad whos bit of a b***** so embarressing:( sstill cringe at the thought, l hate being one of those drunk girls whos always crying on a night out! :(

If it's recurring then it probably indicates deeper emotional problems. There's probably something going on in your life getting you down that you haven't quite isolated yet. Try and figure out the triggers of the sad thoughts and work from there.

ANYWAY what I wanted to say was that I've gotten pretty good anti-hangover results from drinking a sachet of Diorralyte before and after bed. It's a diarrhea medication that dehydrates your body which is why it helps hangovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I've got them right now. Feel like I'm about to fúckin cry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

you became a 'ginvalid' stay off the spirits

cman24687 wrote: »
    most of ye are talkin about simple hangovers after a heavy night out, this wiki article describes what you feel after you were to drink flat out for 3 days or more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_withdrawal a step on from that is the delerium tremens but which are usually only felt by serious alcoholics who stop drinking and can actualy be life threatening

It doesn't take being a full-blown alco to get the DTs, two heavy nights in a row has caused them in me and others I know when we were about 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

weedhead wrote: »
    Its a fact, alcohol is a depressant

That doesn't mean what you think it means

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

If it's recurring then it probably indicates deeper emotional problems. There's probably something going on in your life getting you down that you haven't quite isolated yet. Try and figure out the triggers of the sad thoughts and work from there.

ANYWAY what I wanted to say was that I've gotten pretty good anti-hangover results from drinking a sachet of Diorralyte before and after bed. It's a diarrhea medication that dehydrates your body which is why it helps hangovers.

Alcohol dehydrates you. Getting plenty of water into you helps ease the hangover. Surely that medication would make it worse??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Degag wrote: »
    I've had teeth breaking and falling out of my mouth plenty of times though. Not recommended.

and I thought I was the only one!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Red Alert wrote: »
    It's very simple - drink less. Civilised continental-style drinking won't do that to you.

your right - we do drink so uncivilized, shame on us!

maybe we should learn more from our civilized-continental colleges.

I mean we Irish could learn a lot about civilized holocaust's, civilized war, civilized invasion, civilized death!

yeah - the continental people have civilized drinking nailed!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Holsten wrote: »
    I get terrible anxiety every single time I have a bit too much to drink.

One Xanax in the morning does the job perfectly!

if your ever read the forums on other sites, especially the AA, using Xanax/ Diazepam is considered a major warning sign!

In saying that, they used to prescribe alcohol in replacement of the above drugs for alcohol withdrawal so i suppose most people will just drink a few the night after.

Don't take this as gospel, i'm no expert but they do mention it a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I think the night before is well worth the crappy feeling the morning after. Make your night out the best night out ever and you won't feel so horrible the next day :D

Advertisement