Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we go through the horrors after a nights drinking?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Chemical imbalance, it's all in the mind

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

doovdela wrote: »
    Drink 8 litres of water in the day you won't get drunk proven fact! You be sober as a judge though but you won't have a sore head and hangover the next day!

I have to piss enough without drinking an extra 8 pints...

A pint of water before bed, and then another one in the morning and you'll be grand. A good night's sleep helps too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

On the first night sober after a session I used to be falling asleep and be half dreaming and trying to move and shout but not be able to move then wake up in a panic. Fall asleep and then wake up a few hours later soaked in sweat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

cman24687 wrote: »
    1 nights drinking isnt enough to get the horrors proper. i usually get them after at least 3 days of drinking straight all day and all night and then suddenly stop.

I used to be like you. Wait till you're older, the smell of beer will trigger it!!!

Cringe-worthy feelings, embarassment, guilt etc.? Forget about them. Each and every single drinker in history has gotten drunk and done something stupid. No, each and every human alive and dead has done things that cause self embarassment (except Jesus!!!). Think about it, how many times have you seen people you know doing stupid stuff when p1ssed, only to be oblivious to it a few days later? Do you care? No. Likewise, absolutely nobody judges you for things done and said under the influence, and if they do, they're hypocrites. All in a Saturday nights work.
    I've gotten pretty good anti-hangover results from drinking a sachet of Diorralyte before and after bed. It's a diarrhea medication that dehydrates your body which is why it helps hangovers.
    Alcohol dehydrates you. Getting plenty of water into you helps ease the hangover. Surely that medication would make it worse??

He got it wrong, diaorylite RE-hydrates you. Well it doesn't, it replaces the minerals you lose thorugh p1ssing.

I find a few pints of water during the day, I usually mix about 4-1 with kia ora, a dioralyte, more kia ora the next day and you'll be ok. Get vitamin B tablets, they help stop the shaking and help you concentrate better.

What is this xanax everyone is speaking of?

Plan your drinking, have a free day the next day. Have your car full of diesel, have plenty of comfort food in the house, eliminate any sh1tty jobs you might have to do which will be twice as bad when you're hungover. Go somewhere YOU'll enjoy rather than just goin wit your mates for the sake of it. And NEVER, EVER, EVER do anything dangerous the next day, like operating machinery or wiring a house. I nearly cut the top of me finger off with an angle grinder recently, purely cos I was too wasted to concentrate properly. Disgusted with how small the scar is actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

newmug wrote: »
    cman24687 wrote: »
    1 nights drinking isnt enough to get the horrors proper. i usually get them after at least 3 days of drinking straight all day and all night and then suddenly stop.

I used to be like you. Wait till you're older, the smell of beer will trigger it!!!

Cringe-worthy feelings, embarassment, guilt etc.? Forget about them. Each and every single drinker in history has gotten drunk and done something stupid. No, each and every human alive and dead has done things that cause self embarassment (except Jesus!!!). Think about it, how many times have you seen people you know doing stupid stuff when p1ssed, only to be oblivious to it a few days later? Do you care? No. Likewise, absolutely nobody judges you for things done and said under the influence, and if they do, they're hypocrites. All in a Saturday nights work.
    I've gotten pretty good anti-hangover results from drinking a sachet of Diorralyte before and after bed. It's a diarrhea medication that dehydrates your body which is why it helps hangovers.
    Alcohol dehydrates you. Getting plenty of water into you helps ease the hangover. Surely that medication would make it worse??

He got it wrong, diaorylite RE-hydrates you. Well it doesn't, it replaces the minerals you lose thorugh p1ssing.

I find a few pints of water during the day, I usually mix about 4-1 with kia ora, a dioralyte, more kia ora the next day and you'll be ok. Get vitamin B tablets, they help stop the shaking and help you concentrate better.

What is this xanax everyone is speaking of?

Plan your drinking, have a free day the next day. Have your car full of diesel, have plenty of comfort food in the house, eliminate any sh1tty jobs you might have to do which will be twice as bad when you're hungover. Go somewhere YOU'll enjoy rather than just goin wit your mates for the sake of it. And NEVER, EVER, EVER do anything dangerous the next day, like operating machinery or wiring a house. I nearly cut the top of me finger off with an angle grinder recently, purely cos I was too wasted to concentrate properly. Disgusted with how small the scar is actually!

Xanax is a benzodiazepine tranquilzer. It is commonly prescribed for people who suffer anxiety/panic attacks. It is a great drug in my opinion if used sparingly as withdrawal symptoms are an absolute killer I have been there. It's in the same group as Valium but less sedating in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Good 'ol delerium tremens, a sure sign that you've drank way too much. Interestingly, the more you get DTs, the worse they get. Physical withdrawal is much worse than psychological in that case as it can actually kill. In saying that, I drank pina coladas all weekend. What a great cocktail.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cman24687

watch the film 'leaving las vegas' and you will see the DT's in effect

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Lol at the Irish. We all still drink waaay to much despite the fact we will be suffering for days after it.

I have a great cure for it though. Don't drink heavily like a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭thror

Also, Monday fun fact: Watching the movies '28 Days Later' and '28 Weeks Later' on a dark rainy Sunday afternoon in November will not help matters during this phenomenon after 2 nights and 1 full day on the batter.

I am still recovering from this 2010 occurrence. Had to call my Mum at 3 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

tramadol works well for me - turns a hangover into a daydream for about 4 or 5 hours until the worst is over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

thror wrote: »
    Also, Monday fun fact: Watching the movies '28 Days Later' and '28 Weeks Later' on a dark rainy Sunday afternoon in November will not help matters during this phenomenon after 2 nights and 1 full day on the batter.

I am still recovering from this 2010 occurrence. Had to call my Mum at 3 in the morning.

I know _exactly_ what your talking about

Advertisement