Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye Julember!

Options
  • 31-07-2011 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

After one of the coldest and dullest Julys on record and with many other Julys over recent years I hereby deem a name change for the month of July to Julember because it's a combination of July and December...there's just no getting rid of those thick dark persistent clouds overhead so I for one am glad to see the back of Julember 2011....let's hope we don't have an Augember now!!

I can't wait for winter though, at last the chance to get some decent sunshine, the clear, crispy sunny days as we've had in recent years too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Happyzebra

Am really miffed that we have not had a summer again this year and am starting to wonder if we ever will again? Bahhh!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Happyzebra wrote: »
    Am really miffed that we have not had a summer again this year and am starting to wonder if we ever will again? Bahhh!!!:mad:

You haven't paid any attention tot eh long range weather forecasts because people tell you they are unreliable. Well they are not, the extremities might be a bit off, but a BAD seven year forecast is NOT going to turn into FANTASTIC summers.

The weather is more or less as I expected it to be. I knew our heat wave would literally be 24hr affairs, I've enjoyed both of them to the fullest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

We're gonna get some great weather in September. It generally happens after a disappointing summer.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

When have summers ever been good in this country? We get a week or two of sunny weather most summers mixed in with plenty of unsettled and cool weather. Looking at the forecast comp thread the temperature was slightly below average but overall it was considerably drier than usual so not too bad on the whole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Harps wrote: »
    When have summers ever been good in this country? We get a week or two of sunny weather most summers mixed in with plenty of unsettled and cool weather. Looking at the forecast comp thread the temperature was slightly below average but overall it was considerably drier than usual so not too bad on the whole

I totally agree, and we didn't do too bad at all so far with the rain, not a bad summer at all as far as I'm concerned :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I agree completely also, In Dublin I would say it has been an average summer,
    Certainly way better than 07,08 & 09.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

JM Skipton wrote: »
    I agree completely also, In Dublin I would say it has been an average summer,
    Certainly way better than 07,08 & 09.
    Really? I was reading reports of it being the coldest june in 40 years, and coldest july since some records began -1939.

I cycle to work everyday (even in snow), so I am pretty aware of the weather and I have simple measures for it. I think this year I have cycling home wearing just a t-shirt only a handful of times -other years its the norm for many weeks. I am bringing out rain gear far more this summer, and getting to use it (other years I would curse them when it ended up sunny and I brought raingear in).

A lot of people just look at the window in work and see a bit of sun and think its like other summers, but I have definitely felt it being colder.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I feel the same, this summer feels particularly cold. it may not as wet as the summers of 07,08 and 09 but the chill feeling in air on many occassions throughout May, June and July this year is remarkable. We had the heating on and fire lit several times throughout May and June. Also another thing i notice this year is there is a massive shortage of bee's and wasps at least in my area. ive hardly seen any this summer, dunno if that's due to our colder than normal summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Gonzo wrote: »
    I feel the same, this summer feels particularly cold. it may not as wet as the summers of 07,08 and 09 but the chill feeling in air on many occassions throughout May, June and July this year is remarkable. .

That would be my impression too - this summer is yet another disappoitment in a long line that now goes back to 2006. Some of the evenings this July were so dull it felt more like October with the lights having to come on as early as 1930.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Gonzo wrote: »
    Also another thing i notice this year is there is a massive shortage of bee's and wasps at least in my area. ive hardly seen any this summer, dunno if that's due to our colder than normal summer.

The exceptionally cold windy May and most of June did serious damage to everything from butterflies to the foliage of many trees - a real horrid spell of weather:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I know it's a long time ago (16yrs) but do you remember summer 1995? We got a heatwave on the 20th of June and lasted til September with many days up to 30c in the west anyway. Burnt grass everywhere, melted tar everywhere.

We got an Azores high that summer that never shifted.
    So we've have got mighty summers here although extremely rear unfortunately :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

i totally agree, i live in north meath and ive not seen any considerable amount of rain in weeks now, and in fact there is a pond down in one of my fields that has gone in at least 3-4 foot around the edges since the summer began, it might not have been the brightest of summers at times, but ive seen far more sunny days then wet ones and that will do me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Colin4May

As I was made redundant in April, I've been able to take advantage of tghe sunny days in the garden, and then look for work on the dull/wet days. = I have a pretty good tan, and still am unemployed! Lol! Must have been a good Summer weather-wise then...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

rubadub wrote: »
    Really? I was reading reports of it being the coldest june in 40 years, and coldest july since some records began -1939.

I cycle to work everyday (even in snow), so I am pretty aware of the weather and I have simple measures for it. I think this year I have cycling home wearing just a t-shirt only a handful of times -other years its the norm for many weeks. I am bringing out rain gear far more this summer, and getting to use it (other years I would curse them when it ended up sunny and I brought raingear in).

A lot of people just look at the window in work and see a bit of sun and think its like other summers, but I have definitely felt it being colder.

I work outdoors in Dublin and it has certainly been better than the summer of 07 as that was the year it rained from the minute the greens got in and never stopped, 08 & 09 were slightly better. you maybe right about temperature however certainly has not been as wet as those summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Julember was very poor in Cork city and Augember is off to a poor start now too, the sunshine levels are way down and cloud cover is pretty much 100% most days and the layers are so thick so it's making for a dull dark picture down at ground level.

Overall not as good as last year but possible somewhat drier then 07, 08 and 09 but certainly a lot cooler....which makes you wonder, just how harsh will the winter be??

The couple of great weeks we had in April WAS our Summer...funny how a lot of poeple at the time was saying "this is our summer now, enjoy it!" They were right, at elast in Cork city anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Basically Ireland gets about 2 or 3 weeks of really good weather in total every year apart from 1976 and the odd other one. Notice the every year part of that. So theoritically our Summer weather can happen in Decly as well as Julcember :o
    its totally random

pauldry wrote: »
    So theoritically our Summer weather can happen in Decly as well as Julcember :o its totally random

Pretty much, we tend to get a bit of summer in spring, a bit in autumn and a bit in winter.

We tend to get more winter in summer.

Goodbye Augember, you won't be missed!

Big Tone wrote: »
    Goodbye Augember, you won't be missed!

Well, to be fair, August seems to have caught us all out, even those with pessimistic forecasts, had forecast a few good days, I guess all those failed hurricanes just kept on coming and coming and coming and dumping.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Here's hoping for a good Septly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

rubadub wrote: »

The summer was colder than average yes but not wetter ... once again, take dublin's water supply for example, its still quite low from what they would like it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Iancar29 wrote: »
    The summer was colder than average yes but not wetter ... once again, take dublin's water supply for example, its still quite low from what they would like it to be.

That's just the East of the country, I doubt the Atlantic facing Counties will have below average rainfall for the summer.

According to MET E, the summer was drier than average everywhere with the exception of some stations in the east and southwest.

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=127

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

fizzycyst wrote: »
    According to MET E, the summer was drier than average everywhere with the exception of some stations in the east and southwest.

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=127

Thanks, surprising, it didn't feel like a drier than average summer.
    Maybe because It also said " There was an above normal number of wetdays recorded this summer with between 32 and 47, with the highest amount of wetdays recorded along the Atlantic coast"

Yeah, I found it surprising too. It definitely seemed much drier to me here in Waterford, but I went to the west for a week in July and we got 2 dry days out of 7.

I think a point is that rain was not widespread, it was concentrated in areas or very localised, I know from watching my own little station I was not getting anything like the amounts expected.

Rain did arrive in the expected amounts but many times no closer to me than 25 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Colin4May

It was horrible yesterday, cold wet and very windy. Today in London looks like it might be slightly better. Is it safe for me to bag up my Summer stuff and stick them in the Loft till April?:(

Advertisement