Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starch and other forgotten stuff

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Lyons Tea tokens...never won that flippin ford fiesta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Cicero wrote: »
    Lyons Tea tokens...never won that flippin ford fiesta

Did anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

But we did have red Nescafe mugs and alarm clock (going strong till very recently) and do you remember those cream coloured plates with the pictures of animals that you got from the garage? I still have one with a harvest mouse on it, somewhere around.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Cullens powder.Smells of cardinal red brasso windowlene.Real milk with yellow globules floating it poured from a delivery can into a jug.The open log or turf fire were never beat but they put dust on everything.Bringing water from the well in a bucket and taking the insects out first.Disgusting times in ways they were.The littl' ole Thached cottages were awful places for many reasons.Beloved of tourists but not by those who lived in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Rubecula wrote: »
    Co-Op? Wow that brings back memories of Green Shield Stamps. I remember helping my gran and my mum sticking them in a book so they could be used to get things.

I think you're my long-lost twin :eek: I remember doing that too but the best bit was when my mum had enough books to get something and we went to cash them in at the Green Shield shop - twas a bit like Argos I suppose - and then the excitement of unwrapping it when we got home.

Aah, the joys of simple things.......:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Mollywolly wrote: »
    I think you're my long-lost twin :eek: I remember doing that too but the best bit was when my mum had enough books to get something and we went to cash them in at the Green Shield shop - twas a bit like Argos I suppose - and then the excitement of unwrapping it when we got home.

Aah, the joys of simple things.......:)

They became Argos, remember there big place in Cork on the road that led out to the dog tack and county hall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

They became Argos, remember there big place in Cork on the road that led out to the dog tack and county hall

Didn't know that! The one I used to go to was knocked for redevelopment which meant there weren't any where I lived so my mum stopped collecting the stamps.

Co-Op? Wow that brings back memories of Green Shield Stamps. I remember helping my gran and my mum sticking them in a book so they could be used to get things.

Ditto. But remember when the petrol stations offered double or triple stamps, and then 'forgot' to give the extras to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Did any of you collect the picture cards inside the packets of tea? I am not sure which tea it was (Seem to remember Mantunna Tea) but when ever mum bought some I was the first to the packet and had a good root through for the picture cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Did any of you collect the picture cards inside the packets of tea? I am not sure which tea it was (Seem to remember Mantunna Tea) but when ever mum bought some I was the first to the packet and had a good root through for the picture cards.

No, but the football cards in with the chewing gum

First one I ever got had a Carisle player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Alice1 wrote: »
    Sweet Afton..."Flow gently Sweet Afton, among thy green braes, flow gently I'll sing thee a song in thy praise"...

Well they're still available 'cos I smoke them

The poem unfortunately has been lost due to the large Government warnings taking up most of the pack

They were first made in 1919

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

And the free gifts in the cereal packets. Originally they put them in with the cornflakes, but apparently someone decided that this was undesirable from a h& s point of view so they were put into the bottom of the box. From where the children of our local grocer would retrieve them by opening the bottom of the box and sticking it back up!

looksee wrote: »
    And the free gifts in the cereal packets. Originally they put them in with the cornflakes, but apparently someone decided that this was undesirable from a h& s point of view so they were put into the bottom of the box. From where the children of our local grocer would retrieve them by opening the bottom of the box and sticking it back up!

And these days they have Kinder Surprise. Ha! That's just for kids.

(The poor little dears don't know the joys they are missing out on do they?):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

looksee wrote: »
    But we did have red Nescafe mugs and alarm clock (going strong till very recently) and do you remember those cream coloured plates with the pictures of animals that you got from the garage? I still have one with a harvest mouse on it, somewhere around.

I've still got one of those red mugs and it's years old at this stage and the colour had faded off most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭jos28

California Syrup of Figs, I remember my Mam lining us up to give us a weekly dose of the vile stuff. Yuk !

jos28 wrote: »
    California Syrup of Figs, I remember my Mam lining us up to give us a weekly dose of the vile stuff. Yuk !

Yuck! But we also had to take Syrup of Senna, which was a milder taste, but still did the same job! :o

We had a bowl of stewed prunes with custard. Same idea, but at least they didn't taste vile. Not great but not vile.

What was the fascination that our mothers had with bowel movements ?? Mine was always checking up on us. Mortifying :eek:

Oh, one must be regular you know! Lol! It was just another one of those cleaning chores in the home!!

With me it started when as a kiddy i swallowed a Dolly Peg and had to have my 'movement' checked all the time to see when it passed through. Or I would have needed an op to remove it.

Luckily it passed.

Since then I make sure anything I swallow is a bit smaller:D:D

• Advertisement

Swallowed a dolly peg :eek: That must have taken some effort. I thought it was bad when I swallowed an old penny.

Swallowed a dolly peg :eek: That must have taken some effort. I thought it was bad when I swallowed an old penny.

It made my mum panic a bit.. Come to think of it, it made everyone in the family panic. I am not sure I fancied the op either. I near on went there and then myself. Took about a week, then came some nasty pain, and that was it.

DO NOT try this at home folks. I was lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

What was the fascination that our mothers had with bowel movements ?? Mine was always checking up on us. Mortifying :eek:

Mine too; in fact she had an unhealthy interest in my arse. "Don't sit on that cold step, ye'll get piles." Apparently sitting too long on the toilet was another foolproof way of getting them.

Bearhunter wrote: »
    Mine too; in fact she had an unhealthy interest in my arse. "Don't sit on that cold step, ye'll get piles." Apparently sitting too long on the toilet was another foolproof way of getting them.

I often wonder why 'they' said half of what they said - I was told you'd get piles if you leaned on a radiator, or in my case in my first job the cleaning lady said if you sit on a storage heater wearing a mini skirt you'd get piles!!

My mother firmly believed if you allowed a baby to see his reflection in a mirror, it would give him diahorrea!! I didn't take much heed of that one because I used to love my baby's reaction to his own reflection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

The jar of broken biscuits in the shop, there was a little shop at the bottom of my road that sold the jacobs clubs that were damaged off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Remember the TV you used to watch back in the '70s?

Chances were,it was black & white,had no Teletext or remote & it would have been made by Bush,Pye,Pilot or some other long forgotten manufacturer.

Remember the TV you used to watch back in the '70s?

Chances were,it was black & white,had no Teletext or remote & it would have been made by Bush,Pye,Pilot or some other long forgotten manufacturer.

In our house myself and my sister were the remote controls. 'Get up and change that station over to .........' Imagine having to get up to change channel. I remember the day our first colour TV arrived. Great excitement with all the neighbours in to watch Coronation St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Namle

I remember my mother telling me she had to check in case i had worms. I was horrified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I remember the day our first colour TV arrived. Great excitement with all the neighbours

I clearly remember the 1974 World Cup final, one of our neighbours had a colour TV - I'd say the only one in the estate. His sitting room was packed with men and boys watching the final in colour..TV was a huge yoke with probably only a 20" screen but it was a great novelty at the time

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

I clearly remember the 1974 World Cup final, one of our neighbours had a colour TV - I'd say the only one in the estate. His sitting room was packed with men and boys watching the final in colour..TV was a huge yoke with probably only a 20" screen but it was a great novelty at the time

Yeah, colour didn't really get widespread till the late '70s. Lots of people bought them to watch the Pope's visit in '79 IIRC.

Another forgotten thing nowadays.

That set you were watching at the time was most likely..........Rented!

Advertisement