Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starch and other forgotten stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Rented with a slot machine thing on the back. You had to feed it coins so it would pay for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Enjoyed reading this thread....:)

I am still big fan of Germolene and it can still be had but in tubes now not the small tins. It is ointment not a cream so extra useful properties as well as making for cheapo lipstick back in the day when pale pink was fashion:o. Great for paper cuts! I have a niece nursing in Austalia and she takes it back for friends out there.

Iodine was father's favourite... always a wee bottle of neat stuff in his workbench to hand for the minor injuries of gardening and house repairs. I tried to get some for him recently to be told it is restricted for medical reasons even the modern version called Betadine which is a handy gel version. You can get it in foreign parts tho. It does affect thyroid and can bring on a skin condition so I suppose they have their reasons.

Enjoyed reading this thread....:)

I am still big fan of Germolene

Me too although I did in a brain asleep moment buy Germaloids by mistake. Not quite what I wanted to put on my minor injuries. I never did find a use for it and threw it away.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I think powerwashers have replaced Jeyes Fluid and an outdoor brush....

Are Silvermints still around....the cool clean hero?

I got some Jeyes last year in a big can. I think there is a place near Holyhead that sells it. (Although I am not betting on it )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Jeyes Fluid is still available and I have a can of it. Can't remember where I bought it, think it was one of the local supermarkets so I don't think there is any difficulty in getting it. You might also get it on the gardening shelves in diy stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Washington Street on the left hand side and also had one opposite the Metropole Hotel along with a shop called (can't spell it) Hadjibeys which sold Turkish Delights, my Dad adored them. They were the real thing! Sorry forgot to say in response to the green sheilds stamps in Cork!

Don't know if this was mentioned before. I went looking for some fly killer this week, not the spray, the block in the plastic holder with slits in that you stand/hang in a room, Vapona. Nowhere to be had, in any supermarket or DIY store. So I consulted Mr. Google and found this from 2002:

http://www.marketingweek.co.uk/home/vapona-products-in-cancer-scare/2011280.article

I used my last block about 2-3 years ago, getting nervous now.

While I was asking in the supermarket, there was a man looking for Pine disinfectant, couldn't be found either.

I have to add the assistants were in their 20's and had never heard of the products. Y'know, it's getting harder to find assistants that know what I'm talking about, no-one seems to know anything any more, I may as well be talking to a brick wall. Eventually a middle-aged suit was called who said the fly killer had been withdrawn a long time ago, 'something to do with health & safety'!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Another one that has disappeared is Dentucreme - the toothpaste type stuff for cleaning dentures. Not that I need it of course, my gnashers are all my own, but hubby uses it.

The only alternatives are the soaking stuff and ordinary toothpaste, which is what he is now using.

Sometimes I think the old products were just so good they couldn't afford to keep selling them!:confused: What I mean is, we buy more of the stuff that's not so good, i.e. washing machines used to last longer years ago so they started making more inferior ones so we had to keep buying a new one every 5 or 6 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Cowslip toffees. Twelve for a penny .............. anyone? Or Peggy's Leg? Jasus, I've started salivating :D

1001 cleans a big big carpet for less than half a crown.

Blue blue blue blue. Esso blue......and so on.

Put a tiger in your tank.

National Benzol (Fuel additive)

Black Jacks, 12 for a penny. A 1d bar of Cadbury's chocolate. Beechnut chewing gum. Automatic chocolate machines on the outside wall of shops for when the shop was closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Rubecula wrote: »
    1001 cleans a big big carpet for less than half a crown.

I saw that somewhere recently, Woodies I think, I was surprised but it's probably just a brand name resurrection.

Seven Worlds will Collide

I need someone else to remember Choffees, because no-one else I know does. My dad used to bring us to the flicks on a Saturday morning usually to see a cowboy film, we'd go to the shop across the road for sweet and I loved Choffees. They were chocolated coated toffees wrapped in orange cellophane papers. Please tell me you remember them, and I'm not delusional!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I need someone else to remember Choffees, because no-one else I know does. My dad used to bring us to the flicks on a Saturday morning usually to see a cowboy film, we'd go to the shop across the road for sweet and I loved Choffees. They were chocolated coated toffees wrapped in orange cellophane papers. Please tell me you remember them, and I'm not delusional!

Bloody things pulled out a filling or two.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

I've a vague memory of choffees and think they may have been made by Oatfields.

Bloody things pulled out a filling or two.:pac:

I didn't have any fillings at that age so was never a problem for me. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Never see bottles of Kaolin and Morphine now either.

You can still get kaolin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Automatic chocolate machines on the outside wall of shops for when the shop was closed.

God, I'd forgotten about those machines. One of my treats when we used to visit my aunt was a box of Paynes Poppets chocolate raisins while we waited for the bus home - think they were thruppence (that's 1p to you pretty young things!). The machine was next to the bus stop so 'twas very handy :D

Mollywolly wrote: »
    God, I'd forgotten about those machines. One of my treats when we used to visit my aunt was a box of Paynes Poppets chocolate raisins while we waited for the bus home - think they were thruppence (that's 1p to you pretty young things!). The machine was next to the bus stop so 'twas very handy :D

Those little cardboard boxes of poppets. I think the chocolate covered toffees were in the brown one? I never bought the yellow box, so I am not a hundred percent sure what they were...Peanuts?

• Advertisement

Those little cardboard boxes of poppets. I think the chocolate covered toffees were in the brown one? I never bought the yellow box, so I am not a hundred percent sure what they were...Peanuts?
    I think you're right! I do recall there being three columns in the machine with purple, brown and yellow boxes, but I was only interested in the purple ones 'cos I liked the raisins the best :D

Thought this might be the right place for this.

Sweet Memories from Irish Childhood
    Bealtaine Festival 2012, Wednesday 23rd May 7pm
    National Library of Ireland - No Booking required.

Join Damian Corless, author of "You'll Ruin Your Dinner: Sweet Memories from Irish Childhood" as he takes us from the heyday of Cleeve's toffee to the birth of the Tayto Cheese & Onion crisp, and transports us back to the days when sweet shop windows across the country boasted tempting confectionery displays, when summer was heralded with a visit from the ice-cream cart, and when Grafton street was the sweet shop capital of Ireland.

D'ya think they'll give out free sweeties? See you there!

Finally found this thread again. Now I don't know why I did this, I really don't........but I popped into Easons' the other day and asked for pen refills. I was directed to fountain pen refills, and I said, no, no, not those refills - these refills, and I whipped out a spare refill for a Bic/Biro type pen. She looked at it obviously mystified and said no, we don't sell those. I got to wondering, don't the more expensive pens like Cross and Parker need refills these days, or are we supposed to throw them away too! :eek:

Over the years I've accumulated a lot of those freebie pens you pick up at exhibitions and now they are all dry. It would be nice to get refills for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

You could try the Pen Shop. Is it still there? Nassau Street? or a good office supplier/print shop.... one opposite Stillorgan Shopping Centre. It would an item that would be handy to get 'online' as post friendly.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The 6d Cane that reminded us as it hung on the edge of his desk .It was all that kept the peace really .

I saw an ice cream van go past the window the other day and it was all done up to look like a real old-fashioned van - looked really good.

But it brought back a memory of growing up in the 60's when the ice cream was brought round by a man with a horse and cart. He had a hand bell that he used to ring to get our attention! There was a huge container of ice cream on the back and how he kept it frozen on really hot days I'll never know.

I dunno if it's just me, but I seem to be reminiscing a lot more these days - and there was I promising meself that I wouldn't turn into my mother, always rambling on about the good old days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mollywolly wrote: »

I dunno if it's just me, but I seem to be reminiscing a lot more these days - and there was I promising meself that I wouldn't turn into my mother, always rambling on about the good old days :D

The older you get the more you have to reminisce about! I have to laugh (in a condescending way :D) about the young ones reminiscing about the 90s!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

People are saying what lovely weather ......no insects at all on stephens' green in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Stephen's Green? I remember when that was all field :D

• Advertisement

And I remember when it used to be SAINT Stephen's Green. :p

Advertisement