Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panicking about going to college in September

Options
  • 31-07-2011 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭

I have finally decided on a course to do in college and am planning to go in September. The course relates directly to my job so my employer has offered to pay for the course which is great but I now have a problem.

The course I want to do lasts 3 years. My employer has stated that if they pay for me to go to college for the 3 years that in return they would then want an additional 3 years employment. My problem isn't really with what my employer wants, obviously if you pay for an employee to go to college (giving time off for studying and exams etc) you expect something in return and 3 for 3 seems fair enough. The thing is my boyfriend is setting up his own business and the plan is that in 2 years or so (maybe less, maybe more) that I will start working with my boyfriend. Aside from that I want to go travelling and do some other things, and if I do college through my employer that's 6 years of my life I'll be giving up stuck in the one place.

I'm just wondering if I go through with college for 3 years and then an additional 3 years of employment, what if I find myself in a situation where I have to leave that job? Will I legally be able to do that?

I know there are lots of people who would be delighted with this opportunity and I am but I'm kind of panicking right now. Please don't attack me with the "we're in the middle of a recession, you're such an ungrateful so and so", I'm just looking for advice, maybe from someone who has been in a similar situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Seems a strange move from your employer. Putting you through college for you to leave after 3 years. Why does he not just hire someone else to do your job.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Would it not be the case that if you left before working the 3 years that you'd have to pay back the college fees your employer has paid.

I dunno, did you sign anything to agree on these terms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Seems a strange move from your employer. Putting you through college for you to leave after 3 years. Why does he not just hire someone else to do your job.:confused:

That's not the case. They want to put me through college for 3 years, it will be part time, 2 nights a week, and then when I am finished college they want something in return for the college time, 3 further years of employment.

Larianne wrote: »
    Would it not be the case that if you left before working the 3 years that you'd have to pay back the college fees your employer has paid.

I dunno, did you sign anything to agree on these terms?

If it was just a case of repaying the fees then that's fair enough. I was just wondering about the legal implications.

We haven't signed anything yet. These terms have been loosely agreed verbally and we should be signing a contract of sorts within the next week or so as applications close at the end of August.

I should have specified in my OP that it is a part time course I am planning to undertake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

That's not the case. They want to put me through college for 3 years, it will be part time, 2 nights a week, and then when I am finished college they want something in return for the college time, 3 further years of employment.

Ah sorry, i assumed it was a full-time course or couple of days a week. Tough one for you. 3 years isn't that much really and (free-ish) qualification will always stand to you. Good luck whatever you choose to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

It would really depend on the contract you sign with your employer but the norm in this situation would be that if you pulled out of the course or quit before the three years of additional employment were up, then you would be liable to refund your employer for the course fees.

I'm starting a course (admittedly only a year part-time) paid for by my employer and had to sign a contract/form saying that I would reimburse them if I pulled out of the course or failed the exams.

rcdk1 wrote: »
    It would really depend on the contract you sign with your employer but the norm in this situation would be that if you pulled out of the course or quit before the three years of additional employment were up, then you would be liable to refund your employer for the course fees.

I'm starting a course (admittedly only a year part-time) paid for by my employer and had to sign a contract/form saying that I would reimburse them if I pulled out of the course or failed the exams.

Thanks for that.

Our verbal agreement is that if I fail I have to fund re-sits myself but I don't need to refund them their money. But then again that could easily change with my employer :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

My advise would be not to start the course if you intend to pull out before it's finished. Will save both you and your employer a lot of bother.

A couple of questions you need to ask are:
    • How serious is your relationship with your boyfriend? I don't expect you to answer but you need to think about it.
    • How viable is his business?
    • Are you serious about travelling?
    Before you commit to the course, get the terms and conditions in writing. It may work against you but at least you will know exactly where you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

An employer cannot legally force you to work for him for the three years.

I would say most likely there will be a clause that if you leave before the 3 years (and after you have completed the course), you would have to pay back some or all of the college fees. Just make sure that is clear and get it in writing.

Don't sweat it, seriously. :)

rcdk1 wrote: »
    My advise would be not to start the course if you intend to pull out before it's finished. Will save both you and your employer a lot of bother.

A couple of questions you need to ask are:
    • How serious is your relationship with your boyfriend? I don't expect you to answer but you need to think about it.
    • How viable is his business?
    • Are you serious about travelling?
    Before you commit to the course, get the terms and conditions in writing. It may work against you but at least you will know exactly where you stand.

I intend on completing the course. It is something that i can us regardless of whether i stay with my employer.

I have already discussed and thought about those 3 questions in detail and we're happy with our plans.

Okay, i'll try not to "sweat it" :P, just got a bit panicked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Mack_1111

Hey,

I did a degree through the Defence Forces and I owed back 3 years service for every year in college. For my four year degree I owed back 12 years service. So a 1 for 1 sounds like a good deal.

If you want to leave before your undertaking is up you have the legal right to buy out your contract; get the terms and conditions of that before you sign anything.

You should also take into account some or all of the following:

- Not to be too pessimistic but nearly 50% of start up businesses go under in year one, your boyfriends business may not be there in two years!

- A lot of people that went travelling a few years back came back to Ireland to find that there were no jobs for them, you could be giving up a lot just to tick a box!

- A higher qualification with relevant work experience gives you more options; working abroad, independence etc.

Mack_1111 wrote: »
    Hey,

I did a degree through the Defence Forces and I owed back 3 years service for every year in college. For my four year degree I owed back 12 years service. So a 1 for 1 sounds like a good deal.

If you want to leave before your undertaking is up you have the legal right to buy out your contract; get the terms and conditions of that before you sign anything.

You should also take into account some or all of the following:

- Not to be too pessimistic but nearly 50% of start up businesses go under in year one, your boyfriends business may not be there in two years! - We have taken that into consideration. We're not expecting some magical fairytale existence, trust me ;)

- A lot of people that went travelling a few years back came back to Ireland to find that there were no jobs for them, you could be giving up a lot just to tick a box! - It's not just to tick a box.

- A higher qualification with relevant work experience gives you more options; working abroad, independence etc. - I already have 6 years work experience in my field and the qualification would just be to have the piece of paper to go along with the experience I have.

I think I'm happy that if I do decide to leave the job that it will just be a case of paying back the course fees which seems very fair.

There isn't a problem with the job itself but it is an extremely stressful environment (I can't even put it into words) and while I am coping with it very well now (compared to my colleagues) I can't imagine I will stay like that forever (because over time the work environment has worn down my colleagues) so I am just trying to plan for that eventuality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

The course I want to do lasts 3 years. My employer has stated that if they pay for me to go to college for the 3 years that in return they would then want an additional 3 years employment.

I'm just gonna assume that there no legislation that would legally tie you to your employer for any fixed term, i'd say the most likely the contract will state that if you leave within the 3 years that you will have to pay your employer the cost of the fees.

Pay close attenction to the wording of the contract because the 3 years you will work when in college might satisfy the term of employment required by the contract.

Advertisement