Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Satellite signal needs a boost

• 31-07-2011 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Just need a bit of advice re boosting the sat signal from the dish (at the back of the house) to the TV at the front, currently the 1st TV closest to the dish has strong signal strength with no break up of signal, but the signal furthest from the dish is really struggling, constantly freezing, pixelating, & breaking up!

What booster do I need?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

LordSutch wrote: »
    Just need a bit of advice re boosting the sat signal from the dish (at the back of the house) to the TV at the front, currently the 1st TV closest to the dish has strong signal strength with no break up of signal, but the signal furthest from the dish is really struggling, constantly freezing, pixelating, & breaking up!

What booster do I need?

How far approx are the the 2 receivers from the dish? I assume you are using 2 satellite cables from a twin or quad LNB on the dish? Do you know what spec co-ax cable you are using from the dish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Quad LNB with proper satellite cable going as far as the 1st STB/TV (great signal), then an old coaxial lead buried in the floor to the TV with the problem, admittedly it sounds like the old 75ohm cable is at fault, but the old brown cable is in perfect condition & the analogue TV/FM signal is excellent.

Maybe I need to lay proper satellite cable in the floor instead of the 75ohm cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

LordSutch wrote: »
    admittedly it sounds like the old 75ohm cable is at fault, but the old brown cable is in perfect condition & the analogue TV/FM signal is excellent.

Maybe I need to lay proper satellite cable in the floor instead of the 75ohm cable?

Brown co-ax would appear to be the fault, not suitable for satellite feed from LNB to receiver - http://www.megalithia.com/elect/cable/index.html.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

There are In-Line satellite signal Amplifers available but I personally have never found them to be that effective. If you have an old brown cable then you shouldnt be using this so replacing this would be the best option and could well solve your problem.

Other than that a shorter run from the dish to the room or if still required a larger dish to catch more signal would be required as a last resort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

See coaxial cable report: http://www.glodark.com/cable.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement