Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Reset - PC Exclusive

Options
  • 31-07-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭

Warsaw, Poland – July 13. Flying Wild Hog announced its debut game, the dark sci-fi first-person shooter, Hard Reset. The PC-exclusive title transports players to a haunting, dystopian future, with humanity on the verge of extinction, confined to its last standing city and under constant threat from the robotic hordes that aim to annihilate mankind. Hard Reset is scheduled for release in September 2011.

In the only remaining human city of Bezoar, Major Fletcher, an Army Combat Veteran and soldier of the CLN, is dragged into a conflict between two of mankind's greatest enemies. He is to discover that nothing is what it seems to be.

Hard Reset may be Flying Wild Hog's debut title, but the 35-person studio is comprised of veterans of Warsaw's bustling development scene, with past experience at such renowned developers as People Can Fly, CD Projekt RED and City Interactive, where they worked on acclaimed games like Bulletstorm, Painkiller, The Witcher 2, Sniper and more. Hard Reset is built upon the studio's own Road Hog technology, which delivers stunning visuals that bring the game's incredible atmosphere to life.

Given the game's rapidly approaching release date, expect much more information and footage of Hard Reset in the coming weeks and months. In the meantime, visit http://hardresetgame.com and follow the game's progress on Twitter and Facebook

Teaser Trailer:

Gameplay Trailer:

Preview on Rock Paper Shotgun

Due for release in September, and im really hopeful this is going to be good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

looks really cool.

if they brought witcher 2, then this might be really great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Its just a shame though, that this doesn't have any multiplayer of any kind. I'd build a PC if it did have it, because it just takes me back to the good ol' twitch shooter days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Anything "special" or "interesting" about it though?

An FPS game has to be on the level of the Bioshock or Crysis FPS's to remotely make any money these days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it comes with 10% more hats

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Hell, if it comes with challenging gameplay and brings something remotely different or interesting I'll play it. Looks very old-school.

The single-player only option doesn't bother me, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Hell, if it comes with challenging gameplay and brings something remotely different or interesting I'll play it. Looks very old-school.

The single-player only option doesn't bother me, really.

Same, as long as the single player is good I wont miss the fact it hasn't got a multiplayer attached.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Its available on steam too. Just played about the first 10-15 minutes of it there, will finish it off later.

Looks quite impressive,very solid shooter mechanics and decent physics. The demo is refeshingly good fun, in a "lots of big guns and enemies to use them on" sort of way. Not sure it will be bringing much new to the table, but considering it ought to be not much over half the price of, and more polished than many AAA shooters, I may well picking this up at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I'm not a major FPS person - but from just the demo, this is good, very good IMO.

Nate

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Tough enough in the second half of the demo even on normal they really swarm you, its kinda like playing left 4 dead with robots instead of zombies and no other survivours.

• Advertisement

Those electric ball mortar thingys (if you got that upgrade) go a long way.

Oh and a quick review.

Nate

<double post>

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Those electric ball mortar thingys (if you got that upgrade) go a long way.

Oh and a quick review.

Nate

Quick? lol

That actually looks like a lot of fun, the electricity effects are fantastic. He can be very annoying though, constantly stopping and poking at the scenery.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Will dload this later, can you imagine this thing with full blown multiplayer?
    Someone said theres none included ? crying shame, just thinking about it brings me back to unreal tournament and quake 3 days.

Dcully wrote: »
    Will dload this later, can you imagine this thing with full blown multiplayer?
    Someone said theres none included ? crying shame, just thinking about it brings me back to unreal tournament and quake 3 days.

I know, it seems like the perfect multiplayer game.

What a game!

Not finished yet but by god I'm loving it. It has been long long time since I've enjoyed a shooter like this.

Worth every feckin penny :)

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/14/hard-reset-extended-edition-comes-to-retail-in-march-2012/

xxhardreset-2011-11-16-11-23-21-74_530x298.jpg
    Kalypso Media and developer Flying Wild Hog have come to an agreement to offer Hard Reset in a new, retail-exclusive edition bolstered by new content next year. Hard Reset: Extended Edition will be available in March and adds five new levels to the single-player campaign, including four new enemies and one new boss fight.

There's also a "new back story," two new maps for the survival mode and an updated graphics engine to look forward to. If you want something to look at now, we direct you to our gallery below.
    Well, I might as well get it now, despite not having a good enough PC for it. Just too much to pass up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/14/hard-reset-extended-edition-comes-to-retail-in-march-2012/

xxhardreset-2011-11-16-11-23-21-74_530x298.jpg
    Well, I might as well get it now, despite not having a good enough PC for it. Just too much to pass up.

If the price is right I'll definitely pick up the extended edition. I pirated it to see what it'd be like and it plays extremely well. I usually end up buying games I download from the likes of Steam if they're good but they're asking for something along the lines of €26 for a game with a very short campaign. Hopefully the retail release's price reflects the content of the game itself this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

If the price is right I'll definitely pick up the extended edition. I pirated it to see what it'd be like and it plays extremely well. I usually end up buying games I download from the likes of Steam if they're good but they're asking for something along the lines of €26 for a game with a very short campaign. Hopefully the retail release's price reflects the content of the game itself this time around.

Small independent team.
    PC exclusive shooter.
    Brand new, visually impressive engine created from scratch.
    Distributed via Steam so Valve will take an (estimated) 20-30% cut.
    Campaign which lasts 4-8 hours on a Normal playthrough.
    No DRM.

And €26 is deemed too much.

6245935639_7f179b9260_o.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Zillah wrote: »
    Quick? lol

That actually looks like a lot of fun, the electricity effects are fantastic. He can be very annoying though, constantly stopping and poking at the scenery.

if you think he's annoying now, try listening to him commentate a starcraft 2 game

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    Small independent team.
    PC exclusive shooter.
    No DRM.

Not forgetting free DLC too.

Small independent team.
    PC exclusive shooter.
    No DRM.

I can buy a boxed retail copy of Arkham City for the PC for less than €26 and a console version can be bought for €30 from some places. A big-budget triple-A title at retail is cheaper than a relatively non-mainstream game from a small studio via digital distribution. Also, the fact that it's PC-exclusive and was made using a proprietary engine is pretty irrelevant.

And I think 8 hours for a normal playthrough is being a bit generous since there's barely enough of a challenge on normal difficulties. Also, the story for the game is pretty pants too so you'd expect at least that to be good considering singleplayer is all you're going to get out of this. The game isn't deep or complex at all and doesn't offer a high-level of replayability, it's something you pick up for an hour or two and jump into, exact what you'd expect from the type of gameplay it offers. Just some simplistic arcade shooting fun.

I stand by my original statement, the price should be lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I can buy a boxed retail copy of Arkham City for the PC for less than €26 and a console version can be bought for €30 from some places. A big-budget triple-A title at retail is cheaper than a relatively non-mainstream game from a small studio via digital distribution. Also, the fact that it's PC-exclusive and was made using a proprietary engine is pretty irrelevant.
    Yet Arkham City on Steam is £34.99. As has been said before, Steam sells its games at what appears to be RRP with no drop over time like at retail. Therefore it's not really a fair comparison.

The fact that it's a PC exclusive and uses an impressive proprietary engine is only irrelevant if you don't care about PC gaming or the developers that cater for it. Given that it's been marginalised over the last couple of years, as both you and many others have pointed out, do you not think it's important to support the developers that make the effort for the platform you love?
    And I think 8 hours for a normal playthrough is being a bit generous since there's barely enough of a challenge on normal difficulties. Also, the story for the game is pretty pants too so you'd expect at least that to be good considering singleplayer is all you're going to get out of this. The game isn't deep or complex at all and doesn't offer a high-level of replayability, it's something you pick up for an hour or two and jump into, exact what you'd expect from the type of gameplay it offers. Just some simplistic arcade shooting fun.
    Just like Serious Sam 3. A game I have a horrid feeling is doing similarly bad in terms of sales due to the total lack of stats released by Devolver Digital and Croteam.

Yet Arkham City on Steam is £34.99. As has been said before, Steam sells its games at what appears to be RRP with no drop over time like at retail. Therefore it's not really a fair comparison.

The fact that it's a PC exclusive and uses an impressive proprietary engine is only irrelevant if you don't care about PC gaming or the developers that cater for it. Given that it's been marginalised over the last couple of years, as both you and many others have pointed out, do you not think it's important to support the developers that make the effort for the platform you love?

Like I said earlier in the thread I love supporting devs, especially for more PC exclusive releases in the future but I'll support them at a price that's more affordable. I usually wait untill a sale rolls around to buy something from Steam and I'm sure it's the same way for a lot of people right now. I know it is for me.

What was unsuitabke about the demo for the purposes of trying it out?

marco_polo wrote: »
    What was unsuitabke about the demo for the purposes of trying it out?

Most of the time I'll pirate a game to properly try it and if I like it I end up buying it later on so it's nice to have the full game right there and then.

so you steal the game when it's available at full price and play through it fully, then when it's dropped in price a few months-year down the line you might, maybe buy the game to make yourself feel better than every other pirate out there

so you steal the game when it's available at full price and play through it fully, then when it's dropped in price a few months-year down the line you might, maybe buy the game to make yourself feel better than every other pirate out there

piracy-not-theft-460x328.jpg

I don't need to make myself feel better about anything. I could simply just pirate and never buy the game at all like most people do but I don't. I just buy it later on at a reduced price.

you're the reason GSC is closing down

• Advertisement

you're the reason GSC is closing down

Probably not, I never pirated any of the Stalker games, I bought them during a Steam sale at severely reduced prices. Q_Q more

Also, try to address the posts I make and not attack the poster with mindless generalisations. Cheers broski.

Advertisement