Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New finish on external walls of old cottage

• 31-07-2011 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just finishing off the last of the external work in my cottage renovation. The external walls, especially on the front (south facing) side are particularly worse for wear. There are many many coats of paint on it that have gone on over the last 100+ years and they are pealing off on every wall.

I have had a few plasterers take a look for their option. Two out of three have said that in their opinion it does not need replastering. However I would like put a new smooth finish on the front wall especially. One of the plasterers mentioned that he heard of a paste that you an put over existing plaster that would give a smooth finish. He wasn't sure though but is going to make some enquires.

Has anyone else heard of something like this? It sounds ideal for the end result I desire.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

If a plasterer says it does not need plastering, it definitely does not need plastering because they will plaster anything! :)

I suspect you may just need to power hose it and paint with a good exterior paint,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

I've powerwashed large sections already. The older paint is very stubborn to remove. I used a heat gun in parts but it's still very difficult in sections.

I had the bottom of the windows raised during the renovation. So you can now clearly see where these areas where newly plastered. There are one of two cracks which are visible also.

I was advised to use nitromores to remove all the old paint but the stuff is obscenely expensive to use on an entire house.

If there is some product out there that can just be skimmed over the original plaster it would be ideal!!

Advertisement