Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Centre Living

Options
  • 31-07-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

I know Dublin well, spend all my time there, but would living in Parnell Square be a dodgey place to live day in day out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

IRcolm wrote: »
    I know Dublin well, spend all my time there, but would living in Parnell Square be a dodgey place to live day in day out?

Not at all, you're minutes from the city, have no end of great food on your doorstep and you live on one of the most historic squares, anywhere.. Sure, there's some dodgy areas nearby, but it's Dublin, thanks to some suspect planning there's dodgy areas in nearly every district.

I live off James st, and I'll be honest, the local undesirables leave me alone because they're used to me and I'm used to them. And the rest of the locals are cool anyway

If there's a sense of community there, go for it, and involve yourself if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

IRcolm wrote: »

you even have a bit of green around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Not at all. Just be sensible like you would anywhere else - don't walk home plastered after a night out with your camera hanging around your neck and your ipod in full view!

Lived off Parnell Street for a year and on Abbey street another year during college, never had any problem in either of them.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Absolutely fine up there, no doubt about it.
    Can't understand people saying Parnell St is rough, I've walked home alone at all hours of the morning and never seen any trouble at all. The Summerhill side of it is worse, but just don't go down into those areas and stay on Parnell St.

As for the Square, well that should be absolutely grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya around parnell square is ok, just be careful along parnell st that's all. You have the cinema near by, the shops and city so you have it handy all within walkable distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I live there and have done on and off for the guts of 6 years and never had any trouble. the only issue is when you are trying to walk up the west side of the park, and people are queuing for busses, can be a nightmare! But small (and avoidable) grievance in an otherwise perfect location!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Similar question. Thinking of living on Upper Gardiner St. which isn't far from Parnell but everyone I ask says to avoid it. What do people think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I think Gardiner Street is just too rough, too close to the methadone clinics and Talbot Street so I'd avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Crumbs87

I've been living on Lower Gardiner street for a while now and am yet to have a problem. I've never seen any trouble in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Been living on Fred st, just above the Square, it's grand. I'm not exactly a frail old lady but I've never had the slightest bit of bother. Sure there are some lads hanging around in tracksuits drinking Dutch Gold, and once every 6 months they get so bold as to ask you for a smoke.

Actually the hottest day there was when oul Lizzy came to visit the Garden, the mounted Gardai left the street covered in horse ****e.

But the location is simply brilliant. Food, stores, pubs, cinemas... even the theatres are close by.

re: Gardiner, I'm in Lower now, brilliant place. I wouldn't be too thrilled about Upper though, if only because it's further from the center. But from what I've seen, the area around North Circuler/Croker does gets a bit dodgier. Nothing too serious, though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement