Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice with RAM

Options
  • 31-07-2011 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

So i am back.

with a help from here i upgraded my old girl a bit.

from 8800GT to ati 6870. WHat a great great move. It made Witcher 2 playable from low to all maxed out, with great FPS.

Its an old dell xps420, if you dont remember from last time.

q6600
    3gb ram

So my problem: I can play alot of games on very nice settings, but i feel that my ram is really bringing me down. Would i improve my system alot by uping ram to 6gb?

Problem is i can use only ddr2 rams. my current ones are 667mhz. I was hoping to recycle 2x1gb modules and get 4gb with 2x2gb modules. would i better of getting 800mhz ones?

If its good idea, where could i find cheapest rams.

i know my mobo can support up to 8gb and my windows are allready 64bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Did you upgrade your PSU after all?

DDR2 is now double the price of DDR3. Memoryc have free delivery and have some of the best prices for RAM (aside from HWV, but you'd pay €30 for delivery).
    http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr2ram/4gbgeilpc26400ultrapluscl4kit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i havent changed PSU. after good few searching online, i found a bunch of people using 6850/6870 with dells psu. some even using gtx460 which takes even more power with no trouble. i am using this setup almoust a month with heavy gaming and it works perfect.

as for ram, i know its double in price, but i cant afford to buy new pc just yet. so extra 40 quid, is not extra 900 quid for new pc.

i found this in amazon so far:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KOMPUTERBAY-DDR2-PC2-8500-1066MHZ-DIMM/dp/B004NDKRF8/ref=sr_1_31?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1312195857&sr=1-31

looks prety not bad for 8gb old ddr2 ram. i am sure that my board supports 1066mhz rams, if not i bet it will scale it down.

i go check that website now

They don't deliver here. You don't need 8GB of RAM for games. 4GB is plenty. If you reuse your old 2GB, you'll have 6GB. There's really no need for more than that. TBH, you could get just 2x1GB for the 4GB. It might not seem like much of an upgrade, but games don't really use it. If the system is to last another good while, go for the 2x2GB.

Monotype wrote: »
    They don't deliver here. You don't need 8GB of RAM for games. 4GB is plenty. If you reuse your old 2GB, you'll have 6GB. There's really no need for more than that. TBH, you could get just 2x1GB for the 4GB. It might not seem like much of an upgrade, but games don't really use it. If the system is to last another good while, go for the 2x2GB.

well i got 2 monitors, i use them all the time. one is for gaming and second one for all sort of rubbish while i do it. so extra ram would be always good.

like i said my rams are prety old, they will bottle neck new ones, but i would still be better off with 6gb then 4 gb.
    edit:

what about these?

http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr2ram/4gbteamelite6400cl5kit.html could i get 2x1gb stick from same manufacturer?

how is delevery times with these?

Delivery has been about 3 days with them on the times when I ordered. That's the free delivery.

If you are going to use the RAM, then it's fair enough, but I wouldn't throw too much money into future-proofing one element of a machine when something else will need an overhaul before you get the full use.

Is that one of those overclockable XPSs? If it's not overclocked, you will see little benefit in faster RAM. You might not even see any if the Dell board doesn't allow it. In this case, I think you should save the money and keep some of your old RAM. If it is overclocked, you'll see bigger gains and the extra speed would be worth it.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    Delivery has been about 3 days with them on the times when I ordered. That's the free delivery.

If you are going to use the RAM, then it's fair enough, but I wouldn't throw too much money into future-proofing one element of a machine when something else will need an overhaul before you get the full use.

Is that one of those overclockable XPSs? If it's not overclocked, you will see little benefit in faster RAM. You might not even see any if the Dell board doesn't allow it. In this case, I think you should save the money and keep some of your old RAM. If it is overclocked, you'll see bigger gains and the extra speed would be worth it.

well i dont mind much on speed, as it will benefit by 1-2 fps. all i want is more ram, as 3gb is really not enough.

i dont even pay much attention to speed, as the price is prety much same at this stage.

Advertisement