Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus stops in Castlepark/Ballybane

Options
  • 01-08-2011 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

There not exactly new, been there for a good few months now. The bus stops along the Ballybane road and Castlepark road, there on the opposite side of the road to where the Ballybrit bus would be. Just wondering if anyone knows whats happening with them or the new bus route? I havnt seen them being used at all and they have been there for a good while now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I noticed 'em and wondered that myself the other week - wasn't sure if they were new, or had always been there and I simply hadn't seen them before. :D

There are bus-route changes in the wind, but they've been like that since the the middle of last year when BE discovered that the NTA had a backlog of route-change applications from Dublin to deal with, and weren't going to get around to them for a while. Don't know what the current timeframe for them is.

These changes are what is behind the new and unused bus-shelters behind the Cathedral. I don't know if they include any changes in the Ballybane area (which is ridiculously over-serviced, IMHO).

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭skinandblister

Thanks, I had a feeling it was either a change to the bus route or an additional bus route but wasnt to sure. I hadnt notice the new bus shelters behind the Cathedral but then again I'm not out that side to often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Is this part of the master plan they had to run all buses to and from the cathedral?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

tis indeed, trying to get us back to God. Ya just cant be up ta that vatican crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Its great to see new shelters - still need more though all over the city. Terminus at the No 9 stop in Parkmore badly needs a shelter.
    JustMary wrote: »
    I don't know if they include any changes in the Ballybane area (which is ridiculously over-serviced, IMHO).

Do you think there are too many bus services running? The No 3 only runs every 30mins?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Terminus at the No 9 stop in Parkmore badly needs a shelter.

Amen to that! (trying to appease the vatican crowd :) ) But as I said to a friend today, it's mainly used by foreigners woking in SAP and disabled people working in Rehab. Neither of whom get high priority in many things like that.

(The council can argue all they want, but fact is that the end stop which didn't get a shelter is used by lots of people after work. The Briarhill BP stop, that did, is used by maybe half a dozen.)

Do you think there are too many bus services running? The No 3 only runs every 30mins?

The numbers 5 and 8 are just a few minutes walk from most of old Mervue / Ballybane. And most of new Mervue is pretty close to the Dublin Rd which has the 9 and 4.

Compare that to the cr*ppy service in Knocknacarra, and you have to conclude that whoever designed the route grew up in the east side of the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭skinandblister

Its great to see new shelters - still need more

The number 3 could run more frequently if it didnt sit outside the Clayton for 15 minutes everytime. I say bring back the good old days where Ballybrit didnt exist and the bus turned into Castlepark instead of continuing on and was every 15 minutes! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

JustMary wrote: »
    Compare that to the cr*ppy service in Knocknacarra, and you have to conclude that whoever designed the route grew up in the east side of the city!

I would not reach that conclusion at all. They are just a dysfunctional organisation. This is the same company who said recently that there is no demand for Bus Services that would cross the Quincentenary Bridge i.e bypass Eyre Sq.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/19778-opposition-removing-city-roundabouts-mounting
    "
    But at present Bus Éireann do not operate services along the N6 across the Corrib, and in an email to Mr Higgins, Ray McDonagh of Bus Éireann said “there are no current plans to operate a city service over Quincentenary Bridge. This area does not have sufficient population density”.
    "
    Roughly 38k vechicle's use the bridge daily. See Page 24 of the following document: http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/Publications/FileEnglish,5378,en.pdfI Would not be looking for any logic in the way they operate at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The number 3 could run more frequently if it didnt sit outside the Clayton for 15 minutes everytime. I say bring back the good old days where Ballybrit Parkmore didnt exist and the bus turned into Castlepark instead of continuing on and was every 15 minutes! :rolleyes:

Give it a few weeks. When the roundabout at Briarhill goes (and causes even more havoc than there is already), I doubt the #3 will stay going out the Monivea road - especially while all the destruction work is going on. The #3 used to run every 20 minutes (can't remember when it changed and if it went to 15 minutes before they introduced the #9 while it used to go to parkmore) - I can't see them making it any more frequent (cost too much).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I would not reach that conclusion at all. They are just a dysfunctional organisation. This is the same company who said recently that there is no demand for Bus Services that would cross the Quincentenary Bridge i.e bypass Eyre Sq.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/19778-opposition-removing-city-roundabouts-mounting
    "
    But at present Bus Éireann do not operate services along the N6 across the Corrib, and in an email to Mr Higgins, Ray McDonagh of Bus Éireann said “there are no current plans to operate a city service over Quincentenary Bridge. This area does not have sufficient population density”.
    "
    Roughly 38k vechicle's use the bridge daily. See Page 24 of the following document: http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/RoadsandTraffic/Publications/FileEnglish,5378,en.pdfI Would not be looking for any logic in the way they operate at all.

The reason there's no bus service is because it's not a revenue winner - BE don't make money on full journeys (rush hour end to end doesn't make them enough, and full buses stops short hoppers) but partial journeys that people still have to pay full whack for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement