Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help with hard drive or fan problem

Options
  • 01-08-2011 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,190 ✭✭✭

I started this thread in the computer & technology forum but got no replies, it's about a popping noise coming from my pc.

Can anyone here give me some info/advice on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

tbh the only way of finding out is opening it up and try disconnecting the fans to see if the noise continues and have a listen out from where it's coming from whilst the comp is still open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

If you are not in a position to open up your PC you can download seatools. If my memory serves me correctly it has a "acoustic test" option (it basically spins down the HDD) and then you can determine whats causing the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,190 ✭✭✭batistuta9

It doesn't happen all the time though, so would disconnecting the fans be of that much use, from when i posted the other thread that i gave the link to on the 22/7 it's only happened once or twice since then

it's always happened when i've been online, not when accessing something from the hdd would that make any difference for the seagate option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    It doesn't happen all the time though, so would disconnecting the fans be of that much use
    Yes. Or do nothing.

would having the fan disconnected not be likely to cause more trouble with overheating say and if these noises are happening at random not very often, how am i to tell if it has actually stop?

Someone on here has bound to have come across something like this before?

• Advertisement

Why do you think it could be a fan? Could very easily be the sound of an exposed cable shorting somewhere

I'm not sure it's the fan but from googling it the things that come up the most often are problem with the fan or HDD.

If you look at the link in my first post i listed what come up most often, i'm not saying these are right though & thought someone on here might have had a problem like this before

Did you open up the case

Advertisement