Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacy Degree Options

Options
  • 01-08-2011 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey!I am posed with a somewhat career dileama,currently in a pharmacy degree which I loathe not due to the fact that it is most intellectually and time demanding(having passed exams) but due to reality of a being a pharmacist.I have done work placement and can never realistically envision myself in that work scenario.The naviety of youth perhaps led me to this career,having achieved straight A's at 17 and with an equal apptitude in science and business I opted for the more ''secure'' option.At this point I'm looking for an escape route and was contemplating the possibility of finishing the degree and doing perhaps a masters in business as a means of entering the commercial side of the pharmaceutical industry.Is this a feasible option?!would greatly appreciate any advice!Also I most likely have an offer to do medicine come fall but at this point am very much undecided:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

well for an MBA from half decent school (not a TOP school) like smurfit in UCD you need 30 grand and 8 years worth of experience, TOP schools are like London School of Economics, Columbia, Princeton etc which are the ones you should REALLY be looking at if you want someone to drool over your CV

http://www.smurfitschool.ie/mbaprogrammes/full-timemba/

• Registered Users Posts: 34 darling1

well for an MBA from half decent school (not a TOP school) like smurfit in UCD you need 30 grand and 8 years worth of experience, TOP schools are like London School of Economics, Columbia, Princeton etc which are the ones you should REALLY be looking at if you want someone to drool over your CV

http://www.smurfitschool.ie/mbaprogrammes/full-timemba/
    So basically I would have to undertake a separate business degree if I wished to work in that area and apply to do a MBA at a later stage?!I assumed combining a science & a business degree must have some advantage?!

darling1 wrote: »
    So basically I would have to undertake a separate business degree if I wished to work in that area and apply to do a MBA at a later stage?!I assumed combining a science & a business degree must have some advantage?!
    nope, you can do an MBA from any background, you just need relevant experience for the most part, there are mediocre colleges that let you do MBA's straight out of college (straight after your pharm degree), but I wouldnt consider doing an MBA which wasnt in the very least acredited by AMBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I was in a similar situation to yourself. I did Grad med in UCC, 100% delighted with the choice I made. Finish the pharmacy degree and move on from there. Your still young after your first degree!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

You can go in many many directions with a pharmacy degree, not just into Retail Pharmacy Businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

TOP schools are like London School of Economics, Columbia, Princeton etc which are the ones you should REALLY be looking at if you want someone to drool over your CV

Oddly enough, Princeton doesn't have an MBA program.
    there are mediocre colleges that let you do MBA's straight out of college (straight after your pharm degree), but I wouldnt consider doing an MBA which wasnt in the very least acredited by AMBA.

Some pretty good MBAs allow people to enter direct from undergrad - Wharton/UPenn (regularly ranked #1 MBA in the world by the FT) allows undergraduates to go straight into the MBA program for example. I know other top schools follow a similar policy. Everyone's needs/situation/motivations are different, so I would imagine that entering direct from undergrad is possibly the right choice for some people.

cerebus wrote: »
    Oddly enough, Princeton doesn't have an MBA program.

you're right not directly, but this JD/MBA programme is taught jointly between NYU and princeton (woodrow wilson) http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadmissions/dualdegreeprograms/princetonuniversity/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

you're right not directly, but this JD/MBA programme is taught jointly between NYU and princeton (woodrow wilson) http://www.law.nyu.edu/admissions/jdadmissions/dualdegreeprograms/princetonuniversity/index.htm

I think that is a JD/MPA - The Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton is a public policy/international affairs/government graduate school if I remember right.

Advertisement