Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Married? Relationship? Single?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Together 31 years, married for 20.5 of them and now separated for nearly two years and I've never been happier. Dreamed of being in charge of the remote control for so long. :D Four children from 17 (in a couple of days) down to going on 10. I don't think I'd be bothered with a relationship again. It's too much like hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am tired, and I just let my post flow. Typed quite a lot, then remembered I said I wouldn't comment. So I deleted it

LOL I could have regretted that, quite a lot.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Divorced and to be honest happy now I'm single.
    Have been in a few relationships but it gets harder to find the right person the older you get. Plus I think we all enjoy our own company to much and I really don't want another half with a load of baggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Where's the option for "Married and you'll do as you're told" option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

It's too much like hard work.

When we were getting married I was given advice from well-meaning relatives:

You have to pull together

You have to give and take

You have to work at a marriage

It’s not all flowers and romance

35 years on, and he’s never given me flowers!

A word to the wise regarding the living together situation, when one of you dies it gets very very messy, legally that is. The one left behind will have to deal with difficult issues which a wife/husband will never have to face. I have heard such horror stories particularly when there were children or property involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Will be married 10 years this year:eek:! One little boy 7 yrs old. Not unhappy.....not happy.....cruising along. Away from (home) Cork and miss it like hell...!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Married, ( check calculator ) 34 years.

Brother and I married Two sisters, on the same day, saved their father a fortune on wedding banquet.

Anyway the Brothers didn't last, we are still going strong.

Posted here recently, now an empty nest, taking some getting used to, like Darby & Joan.

Got to Vegas for the 30th, unless this feckin recession ends, be lucky to get to Bray for the 35th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Single all my life. I've been able to travel as I wish and without baggage. Don't have to worry about having to support a wife and family; so don't work unless I enjoy it. No work = no income and only myself to blame and support.

Don't currently live in Ireland (my "Location" is correct but you have to add 1000's of miles in each direction!) and am recovering from a bone marrow transplant (for cancer of the bone marrow). Couldn't have done all the thing I have enjoyed so much if I had been tied to a relationship.

Yes, it's great to be single -for me anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I wish you the best and hope you have a full and speedy recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Spread wrote: »
    I wish you the best and hope you have a full and speedy recovery.

Many thanks, Spread.
    Just been told by doctor I only need to be checked once a week now - brilliant. So, I hope to be back in Ireland in November or December, If I can find the right type of accommodation - purchase hopefully or else rent for a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I'm married but in a relationship with someone else.

/watches jaws drop

Working on a separation a long time, and met someone new along the way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Thank you for posting that Abi and I wish you the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Smashhits

Together 18 years, Married 12 now separated 1 1/2. Have 2 great kids as a result so no complaints from me.
    The 1st one didn't work but I'm hopeful of the future!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I'm single with a 9yr old boy. I gave birth to him at 34 (you do the Maths;)) and woke up there recently wondering where the heck my own life had gone! Finding he needs less and less of my attention and now I'm getting a bit scared I don't mind admitting, that I'll have to re-focus on me! No clue how to go about doing it....I'm definitely a bit stuck, these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ashemaria16

married with 4 girls

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭suzzi

odds_on wrote: »
    Many thanks, Spread.
    Just been told by doctor I only need to be checked once a week now - brilliant. So, I hope to be back in Ireland in November or December, If I can find the right type of accommodation - purchase hopefully or else rent for a year.

happy christmas and healthy new year to you odds, we "walked the walk" with cll in our family so i know how much you have been through!.....best of luck when you come home... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Byakuya

I was married for 21 years. Divorced now for the last 8 years, never been happier. I left school young, married at barely 18. Chugged along for many years in a dying relationship and then when I was nearing 39, my dad died. I realised life was so very short. So I retrained, got an I.T qualification, then got a job I liked and left the relationship. I turned 50 in May, and I'm enjoying just being myself for a change, instead of always being someones wife, or someones mother. In the last few years I've got 8 tattoos and 9 piercings, something I never considered when I was younger. I take each days as it comes and try to just enjoy it. I did try another (bad) relationship, that lasted 6 years and I got myself out before it destroyed me emotionally. So for now, I'm enjoying being single.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

Was married for 17 years, separated two. Now in another relationship which is going really well.

Just discovered olewans and olefellas, although not mad about the title of forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,665 ✭✭✭✭looksee

tempura wrote: »

Just discovered olewans and olefellas, although not mad about the title of forum.

That must be the Spanish chapter?:D Welcome to the forum! Don't worry about the name, we try not to take ourselves too seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Forgot to say I was married 35 years ago last Sunday (Jan 8)

I'm due for parole shortly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Well done to you and Mrs Muffler :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Rubecula wrote: »
    A comment I heard and like is: "Why in heck would anyone get married? It is so much easier to buy a house and give it to someone you hate.":D

love it!

DeVore wrote: »
    Single and staying so. I worry about growing old single though, I must admit.

DeV.

Snap

(can anyone tell me how to do multiple quotes in one post???)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Have a look through this thread. Its great :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056400156

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Snap

me too - on a bad day. Otherwise I'm fine about it.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    (can anyone tell me how to do multiple quotes in one post???)

Down on the bottom right of a post you'll see a list of icons: the first is 'quote this post' and the one next to it showing inverted commas and a + (plus sign) is the multi quote. Click that on all the posts you want to quote, and then click 'reply' (bottom left) and they'll all come up in your reply. You might want to shorten some of them if they are long, otherwise your reply will be very long and unwieldy. (That's just my preference though!)

me too - on a bad day. Otherwise I'm fine about it.

Down on the bottom right of a post you'll see a list of icons: the first is 'quote this post' and the one next to it showing inverted commas and a + (plus sign) is the multi quote. Click that on all the posts you want to quote, and then click 'reply' (bottom left) and they'll all come up in your reply. You might want to shorten some of them if they are long, otherwise your reply will be very long and unwieldy. (That's just my preference though!)

Nice one, thanks!

Sorry to have diverted o/t!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

muffler wrote: »
    Forgot to say I was married 35 years ago last Sunday (Jan 8)

I'm due for parole shortly ;)

Congratulations Mr Muffler - You got married in January why;):confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Madam wrote: »
    Congratulations Mr Muffler - You got married in January why;):confused:
    Probably because it was a cold month and she would snuggle up tighter to me in bed :D

Seriously though I cant recall why we (her) choose January. I must ask and post back about that point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Well I've been a stable relationship with me girlfriend for something getting near thirty years,
    recently we signed a piece of paper called a PACS - I don't know what you'd call that in Ireland - and we have three sons (who are all grown up and bigger than me) I'm the only one who isn't French in the family and no we don't speak English between ourselves(and there is an extended family as well) as well as a group of good friends - so I've had far more opportunities here than I would have had back home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I married my childhood sweetheart whom I dated since the age of 16.

We got married at 21 and 26 years later we are still together and happier than ever. In fact, to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary we had a marriage rededication ceremony followed by a second honeymoon. Wow! It did wonders for our relationship. I would recommend it highly if you wish to rekindle some passion and romance in your marriage.

Advertisement