Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No D.O.B. on card

Options
  • 01-08-2011 4:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm just wondering why theres no Date of birth on our cards.

Like most other colleges have it on the card.It'd be awfully handy as well for town like or if your abroad with it.

I know were getting new cards this semester but I assume they're mostly identical to our old ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

I wasn't 18 at the start of first year. Always found it very handy for getting in, since most places don't care, all they want is college students.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

What colleges have DOBs? I can't think of any...

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭StevieNicksFan

CiaranMT wrote: »
    What colleges have DOBs? I can't think of any...

I did my undergrad in Maynooth and we had our D.O.B on our cards. Was handy for id etc but I prefer not having any dates on the cards like some colleges do, cause you would still be able to claim student discounts in about 10years time ;) (providing you age well!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I did my undergrad in Maynooth and we had our D.O.B on our cards. Was handy for id etc but I prefer not having any dates on the cards like some colleges do, cause you would still be able to claim student discounts in about 10years time ;) (providing you age well!)

The card has the year your course ends :confused:

UCC,CIT,NUIG,NUIM are the ones I know do.

Lol last time I got ID'd in Limerick and only showed my card the bouncer at Mollys yeld at me saying its only a stick..But then left me in saying next time have it...He was both then on and a prick hah :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭StevieNicksFan

Seloth wrote: »
    The card has the year your course ends :confused:

UCC,CIT,NUIG,NUIM are the ones I know do.

Lol last time I got ID'd in Limerick and only showed my card the bouncer at Mollys yeld at me saying its only a stick..But then left me in saying next time have it...He was both then on and a prick hah :pac:.

A friend of mine who was a student in Athlone IT still uses her student card because there are absolutely no dates on it whatsoever - no D.O.B or the date the course ends! She graduated 2yrs ago! Maybe they have changed the cards since but I thought it was strange! It only shows the course she was doing, student no and picture as far as I know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Seloth wrote: »
    Hey I'm just wondering why theres no Date of birth on our cards.

Like most other colleges have it on the card.It'd be awfully handy as well for town like or if your abroad with it.

I know were getting new cards this semester but I assume they're mostly identical to our old ones.

are they changing our cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Think the main reason (though open for correction) is so that it can't be used for a official I.D outside college, incase you lose it or it's stolen.

Also, majority of students have the sticker on the back, which you can't get until your 18 and bouncers will look to see if it is not there if asked for I.D. On college nights though it doesn't really matter (no matter where you are in country) once you have a college I.D. during the semester's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

toodleytoo wrote: »
    are they changing our cards?

Check yer emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Here is the email by the way if anyone is interested

I contacted you in May to inform you that the University intends to replace its magnetic stripe Staff and Student ID cards with RFID cards over the summer period. Access to rooms which require ID cards will be driven by these new cards and this requires replacement of all current access control magnetic stripe readers.
    Local door managers have identified staff who require access to rooms during the summer period. This information has been used to prioritise new card production. The door access replacement programme will commence on Tuesday next, 2nd August, in accordance with the plan set out in the attachment to this message. If you use your current ID card for access purposes then you are advised to obtain your new RFID card prior to the dates indicated.

Cards may be collected from HR in room E-1009A from Tuesday 2nd August at 09:30–11:30 each day. Staff must produce their existing ID card in order to get a new one.

New student RFID cards for those who are on campus during August will be available from door managers or departmental offices from Tuesday next.

Please note that this message only applies to staff and students who require access to restricted areas during August, All other new staff and student cards will be issued later in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

loads of mature students in UL, we dont need our dob's advertised on our cards.... ! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ondeball

They used to Colour code the UL ones for if you were U-18 I thought?

Some green mark or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

In UCD they only put the DOB on your card if you were under 18 and there was no DOB otherwise - or at least that's what they did back in my day! Luckily the DOB was easy to wipe off with nail varnish remover :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

ondeball wrote: »
    They used to Colour code the UL ones for if you were U-18 I thought?

Some green mark or something like that.

no. you had to apply for a sticker to put on the back which proved you were over 18. when you paid for the sticker you had to show them some other form of ID. the sticker gets you into the campus bars without ID. most clubs though accept that you are over 18 if you have the ID and dont even know about the sticker. of course you could easily peel it off and stick it on anyones ID :)
    i still dont have that stupid sticker. i thinks its €10 or something, and im over 18 anyway.

anyone know what these RFID cards are gonna look like, and if we get to retake our pic? my pic is horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    no. you had to apply for a sticker to put on the back which proved you were over 18. when you paid for the sticker you had to show them some other form of ID. the sticker gets you into the campus bars without ID. most clubs though accept that you are over 18 if you have the ID and dont even know about the sticker. of course you could easily peel it off and stick it on anyones ID :)
    i still dont have that stupid sticker. i thinks its €10 or something, and im over 18 anyway.

anyone know what these RFID cards are gonna look like, and if we get to retake our pic? my pic is horrible.

It's only €2 for the sticker.

yesno1234 wrote: »
    It's only €2 for the sticker.
    has it always been 2 euro?

meh i still dont need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

has it always been 2 euro?

meh i still dont need one.

They can still refuse to have you in the club (which is what Stables and Scholars technically are) if you don't have it, afaik.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    They can still refuse to have you in the club (which is what Stables and Scholars technically are) if you don't have it, afaik.
    that is true yes.

i havent drank there since first year though and dont plan to either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The sticker proves nothing other than your membership of the Stables Club, Scholars Club and Arena Club.

You can argue your membership proves you are 18, but that is not the purpose of the sticker.

It is a legal requirement that anyone using the Stables, Scholars or Arena clubs be members or be signed in by a member. This is loosely implemented, but can be strict depending on how much students piss off the local residents. The more pissed off the residents the more likely they are to want the clubs closed, so will call the Gardaí reporting non-members drinking in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Your photo is most likely on file (2007 and on defo are on the current system) so you won't have to get it retaken.
    If you asked them very nicely in SAA, before term starts, to retake your photo so you'll have a better pic on the new card you may be in luck.

Advertisement