Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter options?

Options
  • 01-08-2011 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering what I could grow from this point of the year on? ideally from seed but not necessarily so. As a child I successfuly grew cabbage from seed,now 20 years on I'd like another go, on a small scale for starters ,see how it goes!:)...So can anyone suggest any options,cabbage being the obvious one. I have a greenhouse but would that have much benefit in colder seasons?. Also any pitfalls to look out for?. Any cheap weedkillers,diy persticides appreciated!

Guten Morgen
    F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Having a greenhouse puts you a country mile ahead! I am just reading a book by Charles Dowding, "How to grow winter vegetables" http://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/. But the main options, as you say, are greens and onions, but maybe also turnips and even carrots planted in October for April harvest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Thanks,got some cabbage plants and cabbage/carrot seed. This is my first time since I was a kid so excited!....Is there any d.i.y. weedkillers/pesticides that might work? salt? washing up liquid?....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Sow Cabbage for next spring, carrots, onion, radish, various lettuces, cauliflour and scallions.

Advertisement