Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sowing potatoes for Christmas

Options
  • 01-08-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

Is there still time enough to do this?
    If so any advice on what type of potato to sow?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Mr Middleton has seed potatoes for Christmas. You can sow now, you might be best off growing in a potato barrel, you can move that to a greenhouse, polytunnel, porch (or maybe just cover) when the worst of the weather comes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Mr Middleton has seed potatoes for Christmas. You can sow now, you might be best off growing in a potato barrel, you can move that to a greenhouse, polytunnel, porch (or maybe just cover) when the worst of the weather comes

Thanks.

My intention would be to sow them in the ground. Am I leaving myself open to disappointment if we get weather similar to that in late November and December last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

An early cold snap will kill them off (I have experience of this:()

So this year, to experiment, I have some planted outdoors, some in a barrel to go inside in the poly in October and next week I'll plant some in the poly.

Thus far the ones I've planted in (cheap, plastic) barrels from B and Q are doing really well. I have high hopes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

The cold snap last november killed off mine in the polytunnel. Don't think i'll even bother this year.

Advertisement