Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning Violin

• 01-08-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hiya,

My wife would love to learn the violin, but has a few questions,

- What type of time commitment is required to progress at a good rate.
    - What is the best form of tuition.
    - What kind of cost for a good starter violin. Any recommended brands?

Would be great to have some feedback from folk who know a little more. Any other important pointers greatly appreciated too.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The best form of tutition from my experience is the Suzuki Method. It focuses on building the basics, and quickly advances you to playing simple pieces.

A time commitment of a half hour every 2/3 days should be enough. A good starter Violin needn't be extravagant, something like this from Thomnan would do fine :

http://www.thomann.de/ie/rothjunius_rjv_15_violinset_44.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Violin is a great instrument! I love it! I've been playing for a few years now (started when I was 6, gave up at 10, started again when I was 13). It is such a a great instrument! If you have a great love for music you'll fly at it! Just make sure you practice the right technique from the start or else it can be difficult to adjust yourself! Its so much fun though! When i started again, I started on a not very expensive violin and then every 3 years buy a better one etc. But i'll happily help with tips etc if needed. Also, I'd say you should get a teacher, they are extremely helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭SmartFox

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Good advice, and it's not as onerous price/time wise to start up as she thought.

She's looking forward to giving it a shot soon, just need to find a good local tutor and get going!

Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If you pop up your general location, someone somewhere'll be able to recommend a teacher.

We're local to Dun Laoghaire, South Co. Dublin. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Meehanmeehan

You can get great deals for second hand instruments on Adverts.ie, I got my last bass, guitar and two amps from there:D

You can get great deals for second hand instruments on Adverts.ie

Cheers, good idea! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 meiangie

Owen wrote: »
    The best form of tutition from my experience is the Suzuki Method. It focuses on building the basics, and quickly advances you to playing simple pieces.

I have to agree here. I started too with the Suzuki method & it teaches violin very quickly. However, one needs to be able to listen very well with the Suzuki method. Correct me if i am wrong but i think that is what the Suzuki method is focused on - more (intense) listening than reading notes. In this way, the students learns to place their intonations correctly first, which is a very important part of playing the violin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The one thing I can add from experience (I played the violin for Junior Cert) is that your wife should be prepared for a few days of awful screeching from the violin as she gets used to it. The key is to persevere and not get discouraged and she will soon get the hang of it and start producing sounds that are far easier on the ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

I would disagree with a half hour two to three times a week would be enough to progress. An hour a day, minimum. Throw an extra bit at weekends and you will make some decent progress then.
    You can skip the odd day, or do a bit less, but overall 8 hours a week min is what you really need to aim for. That said, for a complete beginner you would start off with with just a few minutes here and there a day and work up from that.
    And I agree you will sound horrid at first you just have to stick with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 knotastic

learning the violin is fun and sexy, if you think about it for long enough but dont take that as a reason to think youll be a pro quickly.

your'e best foot forword is to buy a relatively cheap violin(not a "starter one as you say") from waltons or piggets(if its still around nowadays). and get tuition from a teacher trained in either classical or traditional.....your choice.

ive been playing the violin since i was about 3, taught by a suski teacher in her front room of her house. picked up trad at the age of 16 taught by terry creean, a family famous for there traditional roots. but rarely play outside professional there own groups.

enjoy learning it anyway

Advertisement