Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow Lawn

Options
  • 01-08-2011 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've just moved into a new house, it was on the market for about 2years so the grass was let grow to at least 2ft. I've cut it down now but as you can see in the picture it's more yellow then the lovely green of the neighbors.

I think giving it a good rake would be a good first step?

After that some sort of fertilizer??

HELP SAVE MY LAWN :D

THl9R.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

First - get this book, it will only cost a few quidlawn.jpg

You'll have to feed the lawn, there's any amount of lawn food in Atlantic etc. This stuff works well
    http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=9473&loc=P&catid=14.14 If you have a spreader to apply it to the lawn that helps to get an even application.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Just keep cutting, say twice a week, it and it will come good

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greenart

I imagine and by looking at your image that it is an old lawn. It will green up over the next few weeks as the grass and weeds start to grow back, you could feed it or weed and feed it.Though if there is more weeds than grass and you want a lush green lawn you would be better off spraying the lawn killing everything off, rotavating and sowing seed or as it is not a huge lawn laying some lovely weed free turf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mikewell

Hi,

I've just moved into a new house, it was on the market for about 2years so the grass was let grow to at least 2ft. I've cut it down now but as you can see in the picture it's more yellow then the lovely green of the neighbors.

I think giving it a good rake would be a good first step?

After that some sort of fertilizer??

HELP SAVE MY LAWN :D

THl9R.jpg

I think without enough water, grass dries up and begins to turn yellow.Areas in the sun need more water than shaded areas, because more of their water evaporates.To water lawns as efficiently as possible, water them in the early morning so the moisture can soak into the soil before the sun dries it up.

Chipper shredder
    | Chipper shredder reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

The fact that the grass was long before you cut it would account for a lot of the yellowing. Give it a light rake (proper scarification should be done next month or October). Give it a feed and weed and keep cutting it regularly as mentioned above. New green shoots will come through.
    But defo get that book (2nd hand on amazon) and check out the autumn maintenance section. Do that and you will have a great lawn next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

Do you think it would have made much of a difference to have cut the grass down gradually over two or three weeks. Perhaps cutting it to half its height first with a strimmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Probably not. Because it was long the bottom was probably already 'stalky' and thick. It actually doesn't look very tight, and certainly not scalped. From that photo it doesn;t look like there are many weeds either. So was probably a well looked after lawn that got a bit out of hand. Shouldn't be too hard to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

OP did you collect the grass?? that looks like dead grass lying on top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

if you've ever ventured into the country you will see fields that have been harvested and they are yellow after being cut. The farmer simply fertilizes and its growing and green again.
    Just give it a bit of time, a bit of water, a bit of TLC and it'll be green. Get some weed and feed and sow as per instructions.
    Its nothing to worry about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Redwood77

I think redser has it in one. As the grass was long, it had become thick and almost woody at the base. The cutting caused a lot of 'damage' to these woodier grass blades and so the 'damage'manifested itself as a yellow colour. Ever see a grass field after a silage cut? Completely brown. Greens up in no time!
    Another few cuts and it will be just like the neighbours.
    Scarifiers can be expensive, seen as it's a small garden, stick a fork 2" into the lawn in lines across it with 6" between the lines. Rake up the thick thatch with a metal rake. Should be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement