Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The VDot challenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭conseng

Name| 2012 starting VDot|Gain/Loss|Current VDot|Marathon|
    woddle|46||46||
    dev123|41||41||
    robinph|57||57||
    corkrunner71|51||||
    Dullahan2|43||||
    TFBubendorfer|55||55||
    dna_leri|59||59||
    Couerdelion|38||||
    RayCun|50||50||
    Alanm|42||42||
    ecoli|61||||
    bugsy2000|40||40||
    BobMac104|47||47||
    Younganne|37||37||
    Belcarra|47||47||
    Timmaay|63||63||
    Corny|44||||
    shotgunmcos|55||55||
    antomagoo|43||43||
    Pronator|61||61||
    Sprocket77|52||52||
    menoscemo|52||52||
    beeduybe|46||46||
    Fazz|55||55||
    Conseng|41||41||

Did a couple of 10k's and DCM last year, have used 10k time for this table as the marathon figure is a bit pathetic. Not sure if current is correct as the 10k race was 9 months ago but it's the best I have for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Name| 2012 starting VDot|Gain/Loss|Current VDot|Marathon|
    woddle|46||46||
    average_runner|46||46||
    dev123|41||41||
    robinph|57||57||
    corkrunner71|51||||
    Dullahan2|43||||
    TFBubendorfer|55||55||
    dna_leri|59||59||
    Couerdelion|38||||
    RayCun|50||50||
    Alanm|42||42||
    ecoli|61||||
    bugsy2000|40||40||
    BobMac104|47||47||
    Younganne|37||37||
    Belcarra|47||47||
    Timmaay|63||63||
    Corny|44||||
    shotgunmcos|55||55||
    antomagoo|43||43||
    Pronator|61||61||
    Sprocket77|52||52||
    menoscemo|52||52||
    beeduybe|46||46||
    Fazz|55||55||
    Conseng|41||41||

my vdot is based on my 10k time in the K-club last year. Good book to read also, just find it hard to keep at its pace for slow/LSR runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

small loss after Sunday, but to be expected, bugger all training done :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

1 point loss over ten miles compared to my recent 5k and 5mile times. Not too bad. Hope to bring it back up in Ballycotton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

BobMac104 wrote: »
    1 point loss over ten miles compared to my recent 5k and 5mile times.

Yeah, this is why I lose interest in the challenge, my score is always better for shorter distances. Okay, maybe I am a better 5k runner than a marathon runner, but even so, why bother checking my rating on a longer (10 mile, half, marathon) race?

era tis only a bit of fun. But i wonder is there a way for us to work out an "ordinary" runners fall off in Vdot as one goes up in milage that way we could actually get more acurate predictions on times for Marathon v 5mile times and so on.

Lets say i lost a point for every 5 miles i went up that would give me a marathon v dot of around 42/43 predicting a marathon for me of 3:40 (still > 20 mins) faster than DCM2011 for me but maybe not a milllion miles away.

Based on sundays ten miler i averaged 7:20 pace which "could" translate into a sub 1:40 half marathon ( note* have not done this) and using the ol double this and add 10 percent would give 3:39.

How would this work out for others on the Vdot thread i wonder. I know its very rough but still.

the McMillan calculator is easier for that sort of thing

Maybe but that still gives a marathon equivalent of 3:26 for a 73 minute 10 mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    the McMillan calculator is easier for that sort of thing

The IAAF scoring tables give even softer equivalent targets for the longer races. I know because my (very soft) marathon PB is one of my better scoring runs and my HM is my best.
    I Think the IAAF tables are based on what average folks actually achieve (rather than what they could or should achieve). Un Fortunately most of us are undertrained for the longer distances despite what our training programmes say on the tin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I'm up 2 to 48.
    It gives me a mile time of 6:03 which is crazy given that I ran 5:53 5/6 months ago and I'm in far better shape.

So woddle what race did you do to bring you to 48?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

I'm at 59 after the 10k on Saturday...

Raheny 5 miler in 33:54, I reckon it's closer to 48.5 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Added myself to the table for the crack, the Berlin marathon took me to 55 last Sept & I didn't really do anything much after that, back into training since Jan the 1st & the Dungarvan 10 from last Sunday has me back at 55. To be honest, I can't see much improvement ahead, maybe a massive jump to 56 if all goes well with training for the VLM in April :o

Woddle wrote: »

Raheny 5 miler in 33:54, I reckon it's closer to 48.5 :D

Ok so if you add one instead of taking it away giving you a vdot of 49.5 which would give you around 5:51 for the mile which isn't too bad for a rough adjustment.

Wait it gives 5 53. Still...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Edit: Table, what table, there was no table here, you must be imagining things.

Last nights 5k has lost me a point, but considering how fracking cold it was last night I'm now not quite so disappointed with that result.

robinph, posting a table to the thread when there is a perfectly good google doc available?!
    :eek: :mad: but mostly :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

RayCun wrote: »
    robinph, posting a table to the thread when there is a perfectly good google doc available?!
    :eek: :mad: but mostly :(

What? :confused:

When did this Google doc appear and why wasn't I notified. :eek:

Edit: Found it, now that is a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

Vdot now 55 after Dungarvan 10 miler

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Sprocket77

Vdot increased by one to 53 tonight after a 2 miler in Greystones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

i decided to give this a go, i put in my dungarvan time of 62:02 and it gave me a equvalent 5 mile performance of 29:48...which is exactly what i did on jan 7th! pretty accurate for me anyway

I might be stating the obvious but Id say the better the runner the better the table is for predicting times. Nice times by the way bart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

I might be stating the obvious but Id say the better the runner the better the table is for predicting times. Nice times by the way bart.
    thanks bob, i dunno it can be odd, i know a good few people that would be a good bit faster than me over 10k to HM but would not reach those performances in marathon for whatever reason, some lads can get sub 60 10 mile before a sub 3 marathon, or do sub 60 and then just scrape under 3 when the running calculaters would have them sub 2:50.

• Advertisement

Got my one point back with a 5 mile race tonight and am thus back where I started. :D

Finished in 29:05 according to my watch, although I may get a second back when the results come out as I was late on the button at the finish. Not a PB, about 15 seconds off that, but am very happy with tonights run. Had been feeling pretty crappy and slow for the last few months due to medical things going wrong, but think this may be a sign that it's on the turn around...either that or the fact I'm actually doing a more respectable number of miles in training now is having an effect.

Nice 5m robinph!!

Up to 48 after 10m in 70:4X

Up to 48 after 10m in 70:4X

Great stuff.

I won't count it but based on my track training 5k run I go up 2 to 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Up 3 to 47 after Ballycotton also.

• Advertisement

Gained one to 56 after the Ballycotton '10 yesterday, think that's it for the year now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

opus wrote: »
    Gained one to 56 after the Ballycotton '10 yesterday, think that's it for the year now :)

A very similar position here, I can't see myself topping the 57 from yesterday either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

up 1 to 38 after Meath Spring Half on Sunday....new PB of 1:54:22, happy enough as that's a total of a 4 point gain since i started recording the vdot in Oct 2010!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Down 3 to 60 after my worst 5k time in over a year the other night! 1 mile race on next Tueday in greystones though, that will hopefully bring it back up as the shorter stuff suits me better!

A very similar position here, I can't see myself topping the 57 from yesterday either.

Never say never it seems, to my surprise the Mallow 10 today has gained me another one but think I can say with 100% confidence that that's it for the year now!

One more for you as well before the year is out hopefully :)

Up to 51 from yesterday's 5k, but I won't bother updating the table - it seems to go up for shorter distances and down for longer ones, so not really comparing like with like.

Doesn't seem to matter what time I do, I cannot improve on my vdot number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

opus wrote: »
    Never say never it seems, to my surprise the Mallow 10 today has gained me another one but think I can say with 100% confidence that that's it for the year now!

Well done, congratulations. :)
    opus wrote:
    One more for you as well before the year is out hopefully :)

There's always hope, I suppose. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I jumped from 59 to 60 on Tuesday, after a one mile race, and then jumped to 61 on Saturday, after a 5 mile race. It's like buses; you wait for ages...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Stanley Devastating

Around 65 to 66

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bludub

Hi - I ran the BHAA 4mile yesterday. 4 miles isn't in the Runbayou calculator.Anyone know how to calculate VDOT from a 4 mile time?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bludub

Thanks Ocnoc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Just back from injury and was doing a few easy 5 km decided to run a hard 5 km today and did it in 25:24 giving me a loss of 6. Hoping to get that up to 46 by year end

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Seemed like I'd never get off that 40 mark. Hammered it last night though. 22.33 (pb by 2 mins :D) in Athenry 5k in the Galway series. Up to 43.

5 more races in the series to try raise it further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Finally made a move up after the BHAA KClub 10km. 38->43!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

small improvement after Sundays 10K, 42 -> 44

up to 50 after midleton 5m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

up from 38 to 40 after Boyne 10k in 50.00, :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

I'm liking this 5k series business. Another 2 point gain last night (up to 45 VDOT) & another 1min off my 5k PB. 21:29 last night in Claregalway. I think I'm hitting my level now though. If I can sustain this time over the next few races I'll be happy. If I can better it I'll be delighted.

Advertisement