Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The VDot challenge

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Stanley Devastating

Up to 69 now going by Daniel's formula.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

RayCun wrote: »
    Up to 51 from yesterday's 5k, but I won't bother updating the table - it seems to go up for shorter distances and down for longer ones, so not really comparing like with like.

Well that's a sign that you are more suited to the shorter stuff or you could improve your longer stuff. A flat line vdot over distance is the perfection goal of your ability. Most of the sub 3 runners have a very flat graph. Up 7 for the year to 51 from race tonight :) with no sign of slowing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Up to 39 after the rosses point 8km. Fittness is returning rapidly pretty chuffed about that

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Another increase after Terenure 5 on Sunday. Up to 46 now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Third leg of the Galway 5k Series & without a doubt the toughest leg yet. Hilly course but the downhill finish is a saviour. PB by 15 seconds & 1 more point gain in the VDOT to 46. Finish time 21.14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bludub

Got up to 46 at the Leixlip 5k 2 weeks ago and matched it at the Maynooth 10k yesterday - am I becoming consistent at last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Probably been posted here before but I found this Daniels Table excel sheet which seems comprehensive

http://www.electricblues.com/html/runpro.html

Having punched in the details I have my vdot and off I went running.

Back to the sheet post run and entered my details into the "Intensity Points Calculator". With "Time and distance" I get one set of results but they switch to "Time and Heart Rate" for the same run the results are way different. Can anybody explain why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Up to 69 now going by Daniel's formula.
    Can we ask which race you got that it? What I mean is 69 as a strong vdot value so you must be running well and perhaps some of us boardies will have to keep any eye out.

emerald007 wrote: »
    Can we ask which race you got that it? What I mean is 69 as a strong vdot value so you must be running well and perhaps some of us boardies will have to keep any eye out.

I actually ran it as a tempo so it might be a bit distorted, it's usually around 66 to 67.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I actually ran it as a tempo so it might be a bit distorted, it's usually around 66 to 67.
    Wow. What distance/events/times do you normal compete at?

• Advertisement

Wow. What distance/events/times do you normal compete at?

Normally 3-5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Normally 3-5k.
    Around the 15 minute mark for 5k? Very impressive. You must be at the upper end of the field and picking up a lot of silverware!

Around the 15 minute mark for 5k? Very impressive. You must be at the upper end of the field and picking up a lot of silverware!

Haha, not yet anyway. I ran around 15:40 on the track a few weeks ago with a little less training but just ran 8:53 for 3k at the weekend.

Haha, not yet anyway. I ran around 15:40 on the track a few weeks ago with a little less training but just ran 8:53 for 3k at the weekend.
    Impressive on 25 miles a week :) , were these races or did you just time yourself ?

rom wrote: »
    Impressive on 25 miles a week :) , were these races or did you just time yourself ?

They were track races.

They were track races.
    How long are you running ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ah lad, you need to get your head outa your ass and do some proper times soon, ya waste of space :P

Updated the table, I think the Vdot is certainly bias towards short distances, My 1500 time is far from spectacular but I got a pb in it last wk and it still gives me a better vdot then for 5k etc!

Top end of the table is all changed again after a 5k tonight, with Ian dipping under the 16mins and bumping his vdot up to 64! I may get the finger out myself now ha, I don't like going backwards!

While ye top of the table lads are bickering I'll just update the figures lower down the table again. Up to 47 from this evenings 5k in Craughwell & just ubder the 21:00. Ran a 20:59.

• Advertisement

Picked up another 1 point gain last night. Thats the end of the 5k's for a while though. What are the chances of improving it on my first 50k? (My first marathon too actually)

20.23 last night in Tuam. Really enjoyed the 5k series. PB'd with each race which was my aim for the set, never thought I'd get as low as I have (went in with a PB of 24.28), but I am slightly dissapointed at not getting sub 20 last night. Big ask as I had 59 seconds to make up but I felt confident.

Overall can't complain though.

Up to 48 on the VDot, 8 point gain since turn of year, just another 12 to go before years end :)

PS: Table is in a bit of a mess though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Tec Diver

Just seeing this now. From the Kells 5k I get a vdot of 44. Another 5k coming up on Saturday on a hopefully flatter and drier course...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bludub

Vdot up to 48 after Trinity track races - see how long that lasts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Up to 43 now after the streets of sligo 5km. I did a 5k in dec which gave me a vdot of 34 so a gain of nine so far this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

up another 1 to 41 after my new PB in SOH 5k..slowly but steadly climbing up the numbers.....:D

up 8 for the year to 52 from 5K tonight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Gained a point to the good this evening with a 5km race in 17:30. Thought I needed to go faster than that to get back to a positive change for the year again. Anyway, this evening was mostly run just to ensure I beat someone else in the club and not for the time. But good that I got the time despite a distinct lack of training recently.

Up another point to 53 to round off a nice 9 point gain for the year on a 4 Mile yesterday from same 4 mile last year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Had forgotten about this one, was hoping for more of an increase in the vdot from my recent pb times but I'll take the 3 point increase for the year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement