Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Science stage 2 pathway selection--advice?

Options
  • 01-08-2011 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hey boardsies. I'm looking for some advice from the been there done that social science students. I'm going into stage two and have but a short while left to pick my pathway. I'm pretty set on the crime & social order pathway, in which i must take a joint major in sociology and another social science subject.

I've boiled my second major choices down to social policy, politics and information studies, but am confused as to which subject choice would be best. I'm planning on doing a criminology MA in UCD after my social science degree.

Would anyone have any advice on which would be the best joint major to take with regard to relevance to a criminology MA or even any advice on pathway selection in general? Any info is priceless to me, warm regards & thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I'd say social policy is your best bet for your other major. Social policy will involve looking at crime, criminal justice, and how social policy can work to reducing crime, whereas I doubt politics or information studies would really touch on these subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Having done this degree, i can tell you that the Social Policy course does not look at crime in the way described. The course more looks at concepts like poverty and education (for example) and how they are/were structured, the history behind them and which direction they are headed in.

Good course, can be dry at times, but worth it in the end.

Advertisement