Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

did you know ?

Options
  • 01-08-2011 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

OSCAR wilde's mother was from the bullring in wexford...where diane donnolly's shop is now in the corner beside fatface.... that was where his mother was from...and not even a plaque to commorate this....

DISGRACE !

are they looking to help with tourism or what ??? its a fairly big thing i reccon and well worth a plaque ..if "jem roche" the boxer has one in the bullring i think oscar wilde's mother is of significance!

also Harry Clarke, Ireland's and the Worlds most prolific,best known and most respected stain glass artist has a unique work in Bride Street Church where he was commissioned to do a piece on the virgin mother and child...

Does the wexford council want tourism in this town or not!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Yes I did know, everything that needs to be known about Wexford Town I know If I don't know it then it isn't worth knowing.

Jane Wilde the daughter of Charles Elgee was indeed born in wexford town the place known as La Speranza but why should there be a plague to her do you really want the town littered with plagues where people were born and had nothing to do with the town its a small town and there is enough piontless plaques around the town.

Jem Roche was born and raised here in town and his family has a long history with this town to this day he should be remember rather than someone who was just born here.

Harry Clarke is named in the Church so whats the problem there.

The Coucil is not to blame with Tourism the fault lies with Failte Ireland and there piece of crap tourist office and there ideal of what tourism is thats the problem what they think tourism is and how it should be promoted is out of date and needs a good kick up the arse but it ain't going to happen till.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

Yes I did know that!

Don't think a plaque would attract too many tourists though tbh! I seen a plaque in Rosslare Strand recently for the house where Marconi sent received the first transatlantic telegraph. I doubt that one attracts many people to Rosslare, if it does I'd imagine they would be fairly disappointed with a house you can't enter.

The stained glass would be a good thing to put in guide books, it's a nice piece of art.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

didn't know that...............but I know that George Harrison's grandad was a Wexfordman.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

patff wrote: »
    didn't know that...............but I know that George Harrison's grandad was a Wexfordman.

Would the two f's in your user name be a coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I'm all for bringing tourism to the county but I'd have thought a plaque marking the birth place of Oscar Wilde's mother might be overkill. I'm not sure that it would attract mass numbers of tourists even if it was put up.

• Advertisement

mcgarrett wrote: »
    Would the two f's in your user name be a coincidence?

not coincidence, but not of much relevance either.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

patff wrote: »
    not coincidence, but not of much relevance either.

Heard years ago that the surname of Harrisons relations in Wexford was Ffrench, hence the speculation on the two ff's ;)

mcgarrett wrote: »
    Heard years ago that the surname of Harrisons relations in Wexford was Ffrench, hence the speculation on the two ff's ;)

George Harrison's grandad was John French, from north Co. Wexford I think. He emigrated to Liverpool and joined the constabulary, I believe. A connection with the Ffrench's is hard to establish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

How about putting a plaque at 29 South Main Street, the house reputed to have been stayed in by Oliver Cromwell when he 'visited' the town in 1649.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

How about putting a plaque at 29 South Main Street, the house reputed to have been stayed in by Oliver Cromwell when he 'visited' the town in 1649.

I allways said a yearly reenactment of Cromwells visit would be brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

well im not saying people will come here particlaurly to see a plaque on the wall of oscar wilde's mother's birthplace but i think its an interesting point alot would feel is worthwhile to note... as the terrible slogan of a well known multinational now says "every little helps...."

and i still think my guinness bok of records adventure visitor centre idea would be a good idea if the money was available (which i know it isnt) :P

and i still think my guinness bok of records adventure visitor centre idea would be a good idea if the money was available (which i know it isnt) :P

Hmmm... you might be on to something with that, it might have some tourist potential, from the Americans anyway. What would you envisage, exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

i have loads of ideas for this town... just need the cash injection! :)

i have loads of ideas for this town... just need the cash injection! :)

My ideas in general suffer from that problem!

Advertisement