Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with hours/contract

Options
  • 01-08-2011 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Basically my problem is with my hours. I'm on a full time contract for nearly a year (it doesn't give a minimum amount of hours, just says I work X amount per week). It says that this can change due to demand increase or decrease.

Thing is, in the last 5 months or so, I have been on a 2 day week, sometimes 3 if I'm lucky. I'm on an average of 15 hours per week when I should be on 40. I understand that in a downturn of sales I can expect my hours to be cut but in the last 5 months, there have been new people hired, 8 that I can think of off the top of my head, ALL of whom are being given more hours than me, even the part time staff. The part time staff get one day more per week than I do, so clearly as full time and part time people are being hired, there is a demand. All of the other full time staff in the job (it's a big company, over 50 staff in this particular branch) are on more hours than me, as are all of the part time staff.

I have queried this with my manager, area manager and HR manager, and have been given no answer, only been told that they don't have to give me more than 8 hours per week. Where this number came from, I have no idea!

That's the first problem. Am I entitled to my contracted hours when every other staff member are getting them and new staff are being hired constantly, so there is a definite need for the staff? If they won't give the hours to me, what do I do? What are my rights?

My other question is this - every week since my hours were cut, I have given written requests for more hours, to let them know I am available for full time hours. I have asked my manager to sign a form for social welfare so that I can get the casual dole, and he refused. Apparently they don't sign them. Is there any obligation on him to sign it?

Thanks in advance. By they way, I've never had so much as a verbal warning from this job and am very good at my job, so there is nothing wrong with the quality of my work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Hi,

Basically my problem is with my hours. I'm on a full time contract for nearly a year (it doesn't give a minimum amount of hours, just says I work X amount per week). It says that this can change due to demand increase or decrease.

How many hours does it say here or does it just say you are on a permanent contract?
    My other question is this - every week since my hours were cut, I have given written requests for more hours, to let them know I am available for full time hours. I have asked my manager to sign a form for social welfare so that I can get the casual dole, and he refused. Apparently they don't sign them. Is there any obligation on him to sign it?

Yes they do have to sign those letters. Report them to you local SW office and I would check with the tax office too just in case the tax they are deducting is not being paid for you.

It sounds like you have an 8 hr contract. So no they don't have to give you more than 8 hrs per week. Unless you can prove discrimination against you in the way the company gives hours to the new recruits instead of you. you could try making a formal complaint about this to your manager and see where it gets you, but as you have asked already, you may not get anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

double check ur contract and bring it in and show them that you are on a full time contract if u dont have one a copy should be AVAILABLE in HR than bring it to the attention of who ever does ur roster that ur full time and states in ur contract

Advertisement