Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selskar Abbey

Options
  • 01-08-2011 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Why isnt it open to the public...why isnt it restored to some sort of prominance.... why is the area now almost like a building site and overgrown with headstones broken...

why isnt it floodlight at night???

apart from the obvious history of the abbey alongside the gatehouse there, it was also the place where Strongbow's sister Bascilla is supposed to have married.

i do not understand how somewhere so important to wexford's history and one of the last remaining parts of the old town wall hasnt been held in more prestige!

its shameful....

i walk along the town at night and i see that old ruin and it looks amazing...its such a bloody disgrace nothing has been done with it and its obviously a massive potential for tourism.

we have to start looking at what all this mooney is being spent on..because it looks like its going on the wrong things!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Well there is no money to spend on it years ago FAS paid a few people to take of the place and kept in good shape, the reason it isn't open is insurance cost if it was open to the public and and old brick knocked someone on the head the corpo would have to pay out allot of compo
    why is the area now almost like a building site and overgrown with headstones broken

Thinker Drinking

How can this place actually make a profit to pay for its upkeep I don't thing it can apart from 1 or 2 yearly events but nah close it up build up the walls and keep everyone out just like the other churchs and graveyards in town.

Oh and there is some plague in there regarding some blokes family who he went onto found the parliment of canada or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

its mad...somthin should be done with it.... its looks great and could be so much better.. surly they could do somthing with it for tourism....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why isnt it open to the public...why isnt it restored to some sort of prominance.... why is the area now almost like a building site and overgrown with headstones broken...

why isnt it floodlight at night???

apart from the obvious history of the abbey alongside the gatehouse there, it was also the place where Strongbow's sister Bascilla is supposed to have married.

i do not understand how somewhere so important to wexford's history and one of the last remaining parts of the old town wall hasnt been held in more prestige!

its shameful....

i walk along the town at night and i see that old ruin and it looks amazing...its such a bloody disgrace nothing has been done with it and its obviously a massive potential for tourism.

we have to start looking at what all this mooney is being spent on..because it looks like its going on the wrong things!

+1 was there at weekend, such an amazing building which will go back to ruin - just like the waste of 1 million euro on doing up the bull ring market - AND NOT PUTTING IT TO FULL USE !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

Why would you want to go into the place anyway?

You would need to be donned in armour to avoid cutting yourself to ribbons on the metre high deep Dutch Gold/Tuborg cans left by the itinerant drinking rats that frequent the place.

The area just above it (leading to Westgate Park) used to be lovely too. Now that too is full of crates and the trees and benches have been ripped from the ground.

Knock the place I say. Least that way they can drink among the rubble and not be spoling the place.

Advertisement