Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help required for a basic charity website

Options
  • 01-08-2011 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,
    I have been asked to setup a web site for a charity I am involved with in Limerick city. I am grand with computers but web design/setup is something new to me completely! I would appreciate any help or advice off people with regard to getting it up and running. Obviously cost is a restrictor so I'm looking to try and minimise that.

Mods - Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I am a UL student so felt this might be the best place to start. Please move or close if this is a problem thread.

Gazza...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chett

If you're on about building the site yourself, that's no small thing. If you just want to get it done quickly I would look for some pre-existing solutions or make use of some blogging packages like wordpress.org. If you have the time you should start off by learning HTML and CSS...though you could nearly get away without knowing them if you're using something like Dreamweaver. There's a book called "The ten minute guide to HTML" which is a great place to start (though it's more like an hour before you can really put something basic together). Once you know HTML and CSS, you can make basic web pages. To make these pages dynamic, start learning PHP (the For Dummies books are very handy). Once you have this learned you'll be able to string together a half decent website.

The next step is to host the website. You can pay out for reliable hosting, get free 'meh' hosting, or host the site on your own private server. Next, head over to GoDaddy.com and register a domain name (something like mycharitywebsite.ie or .com or both). I think .ie will cost more than a .com.

Next make use of what you've learned and go into freelance web design and design websites for people on a contract basis. You'll easily make 500 smackeroonies per site and another 100 per year for mainenance. All the while keep learning new bits and bobs....little bit of SQL, Flash...etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gazza1000

Thanks for that Chett..

Was thinking more along the lines of advise rather than specifics.

If I decide to ever go into web design on a professional basis, I'll read your post again...

Gazza....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Gazza1000 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Chett..

Was thinking more along the lines of advise rather than specifics.

If I decide to ever go into web design on a professional basis, I'll read your post again...

Gazza....

Are you looking for a cheap web designer? Or cheap hosting and you'll be setting it up yourself?

Hi Ricky,
    Thanks for your reply. From my research I think my best bet would be to register the domain and look for free hosting (which I believe is possible for a charity website). In terms of developing the site- It is something I will do myself If I can thru free online webtools (wordpress??). What I'm looking for is someone to advise what sites for registering and hosting would be best. There seems to be a lot available (from a quick search) and I'm not sure whether they are skammers or not. If you had a recommendation of a host that is genuine that would be a great start! PM me if you want instead.

Thanks, Gazza.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

I second the above - wordpress would be your easiest option - you might even get luck with the domain name and your charity name blahblahblah.wordpress.org might even be available.

If you wanted to do something more complex but couldn't be arsed learning HTML/CSS then I suggest a content management system like Joomla.

Or even a facebook group may suffice?

No need to fork out any money if you dont want to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 KPSWebsites

Hey Gazza, myself and a friend do freelance web design part time. We have just started and are looking for our first project and would be happy to design a site for you at a very discount price. We would also be happy to help you choose web hosting.

You can check out our site here: http://www.kpswebsites.com

and if you are interested in our services use the contact form to describe what design etc you would like and we will get back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

OP have a look at using WordPress. You could have them host it for free with a domain name like yourcharity.wordpress.com but the functionaility is limited. It wouldn't be a bad place to test the waters. If you need more then get your own domain and hosting somewhere like Blacknight who have a load of stuff like WordPress with more functions and plugins available.

You can check out our site here: www. kpswebsites.com

No proper contact info and basic gallery doesn't work.

Thanks for all your replies. I'll take a look into each option and get back by PM to you...

Thanks again for all your help/advise...

Gazza...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 webtalk

not a big deal !

its very very easy and affordable!

1- buy a domin name , godady.com buy .info it will cost you less than 2 dollars

2- buy Shopaserver.com 's dollar 1 web hosting, it will give you lots of features, support at such a tiny price.

3- Install wordpress, its very easy and this will provide you ready made website no designing or hard work required tons of free themes are available, and if you are non technical than simply ask Shopaserver guys to give you a readymade wordpress website.

good luck )

Advertisement