Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things to do in Barcelona

• 01-08-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hey people myself and the GF are heading to Barcelona for 3 nights on the
    10th before we head to south of France
    were staying on la ramblas.
    where would you recommend we go?
    what restaurants and tapas bars?
    were both adventours with food so anything goes
    any good sightseeing tours?

also what to watch out for.

cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The hop on off bus would show you a lot in a day, and starts from the top of las ramblas The sagrada familia is worth going to see, book online before you go, and you wont have to queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Don't forget to get pick-pocketed, part of the experience, especially on Las Ramblas.

After that there's Gaudi stuff all over the place, Sagrada Família as mentioned and Park Güell

The hop-on/off bus is a good idea to see a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

I agree with Davy,Day ticket for the hop on is great value.
    Nice multistory shopping centre on theblas top of la ramblas.
    Most of the good reaturants seem to only get going after midnight,good idea to pre book before you go.
    The food market on the la ramblas is one of the best Ive seen.
    Still sorry I didnt take the cable car ride overlooking the city.
    Its a good city break ,just mind your wallet.
    Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Be careful of the Moors there, they will pick-pocket you. Go to the Gothic quarter, great little place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

what restaurants do you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

what restaurants do you recommend?

If you like steak there's an amazing place called El Paraguayo off the bottom of the ramblas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I was there last week and loved it.
    We had great tapas in a place on passeig de gracia, called Tax...something, they had photos of 51 different tapas outside.
    There is a lovely square just off Calle Ferran (off the ramblas at the end further from place catalunya) we had great food there one night and the atmosphere is lovely too...the square is beside two pubs called My Bar/Temple Bar.
    Definately book ahead for the Sagrada Familie, I did and booked to enter 13.00-14.00, we walked straight in, the queue stretched around 3 sides of the church and def was over a 2 hour wait, in 30 deg plus heat, not pleasant !!!

We were worried about pick pockets but we luckily didnt get caught. My boyfriend bought a wallet type thing that you hang around your neck and I had a hanbag which has a tie string on the zip (a nuisance for me to open, let along anyone else !!)

i would eat anything TBH nothing is off the menu.
    where can i book the Sagrada Familie?
    some good info guys keep it coming its much appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

where can i book the Sagrada Familie?
    some good info guys keep it coming its much appreciated :)

http://www.servicaixa.com/nav/landings/en/mucho_mas/entradas_sagrada_familia/index.html?utm_campaign=SagradaFamilia&utm_source=sagradafamilia.cat&utm_medium=link&CODIUSU=P001SF10

You can also buy them from the Servicaixa (yellow) atm's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭kingofburt

Most of the food in Barcelona is fairly normal, lots of seafood and meat, the only "strange" food I can think of would be tripe, sweetbreads and snails, although rabbit, kid and pig trotters are often available.

For paella go to either Salamanca in Barcelloneta, or Mil Lenari in the Sagrada Familia area. There is a great little tapas restaurant called La Bombeta in Barceloneta, the menu is in catalan, the staff speak no english and its very informal, but its really great. A more upmarket tapas place is Paco Meralgo in l'Eixample. Its a very nice restaurant and always busy, the deep fried anchovies and fried steak in pepper are unreal and they also do kid chops which look fantastic. There is also a chain of restaurants call Taller de Tapa, these are nice, especially for breakfast which can be difficult to find if you want something other than a cup of chocoalte, a pastry and a cigarette.

Try and find the Champagneria, (its near a restaurant called the 7 portes, very good if you want fine dining) You can get cava for a few euro and the sandwiches are really tasy. The square Solerina mentioned is Placa Reial, loads of outdoor restaurants, Marisco is a really nice one there and I think the tapas place mentioned is Txapela Euskal Taberna. Anywhere with Euskal Taberna is a basque tavern, which normally have wines and ciders from that region.

As mentioned by most of the others, be prepared to be pickpocketed. It is rife at the minute. Keep nothing in your back pockets, seperate your money into different places and be suspicious of anyone who stops you and tries to touch you ie flower sellers in the streets or people standing close on the metro or at attractions and have your girlfriend keep her handbag closed and welded to her side at all times. Its unbelievable how skillful the pickpockets are.

cheers for the info looking forward to getting away and sampling Barcelona

• Registered Users Posts: 25 clogs2

enjoy!!
    make sure u go to cerveza catalunya its meant to be very nice!!
    wear a high spf and buy your girlfriend lots of nice things!!

@clogs2 will do my best not
    {thats my GF trying to be funny}

Advertisement