Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Cross ?? What happened ??

Options
  • 01-08-2011 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭

I just seen some comments on Facebook about the cross been destroyed last night, Any info or pics please.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

charlemont wrote: »
    I just seen some comments on Facebook about the cross been destroyed last night, Any info or pics please.

Act of vandalism at Holy Year Cross, Clonmel

Annual Mass at the Holy year Corss in Clonmel will go ahead this morning despite an act of vadalism at the site overnight and earlier this week.A number of wooden stakes , erected at the site, were stolen and burned during the week.Spokesperson Sean Prendergast explained they arrived at the Cross this morning to discover that burnt oil had been thrown over the altar and over the holy statues which are used on the altar.He said it was a deliberate act of vandalism

[Source : Tippfm.com]

I have to say this is a disgrace, there's no need for it, the bank holiday mass at the cross on the Bank Holiday in August, is one of the few traditions still going in Clonmel and to have the area ruined by low-lifes is a shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Possibly a local farmer with a jeep as I cant see the local scumbags bringing oil all the way up the hill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sherro

From what I was told wooden stakes were placed around the cross to stop sheep getting into the altar area and they were removed during the week and burned. My first thought was that some scumbag from town might have done it but I can't see someone carrying oil up just to destroy the cross.

I do hope however that who ever did this never has a bit of luck again. It's a disgrace what was done to the cross and I hope they name and shame who ever did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Sherro wrote: »
    From what I was told wooden stakes were placed around the cross to stop sheep getting into the altar area and they were removed during the week and burned. My first thought was that some scumbag from town might have done it but I can't see someone carrying oil up just to destroy the cross.

I do hope however that who ever did this never has a bit of luck again. It's a disgrace what was done to the cross and I hope they name and shame who ever did it.

I brought my tent up to Glenary about 13 Yrs ago and forgot the pegs so the only thing I could do was head back to the cross and put the tent in behind the alter. It saved myself and the girlfriend from having a crap night.
    The sheep have been using the alter as long as I remember, So maybe one of the local farmers got annoyed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

It appears that it was done by some local farmer with a gripe against people walking on his land,that's no excuse for the vandalism though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sherro wrote: »
    From what I was told wooden stakes were placed around the cross to stop sheep getting into the altar area and they were removed during the week and burned.

The story I'm hearing is, it was a local farmer who had been told not to have his sheep up there took exception to the stakes and sought revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I wasn't up there today, which I was hoping to do, but this act of desecration is utterly appalling.
    charlemont wrote: »
    Possibly a local farmer with a jeep as I cant see the local scumbags bringing oil all the way up the hill.

Not to go against your opinion here but the Cross has become a bit of a hangout for the local boyos and scumbags. I reckon it was them, or this disgruntled farmer.

If it was a farmer, I hope they find shame in what they did. I'm not against this from a religious point of view but the committee work hard to keep the Cross in good nick and it's become a tradition in the town to head up each 1st August. Horrible incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PKWATERFORD

I doubt it was a local.

The stakes were burned by a bunch of scumbags camping on Monday night or Tuesday morning (I passed them early in the morning).

None of the locals would do anything like this. I would think it was just someone who wanted to cause hassle and see some results.
    Well done to the committee who managed to get plan b in place straightaway and show these people that the tradition will be carried on no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Rain Over Me

What right does the church have to section off irish farmers lands and allow trespassers on their fields?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PKWATERFORD

Firstly the church doesnt do it, its a local committee. They invite the priest to say a mass each year. this has been going on for over 60 years without a problem.

Secondly the area around it is sectioned off for a week at the most while the place is painted and cleaned. The area in question would not sustain a sheep for an hour.

Thirdly it is commonage. Nobody owns the land. There is no trespassing involved. THe committee make sure all the gates onto the hill are closed afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

What right does the church have to section off irish farmers lands and allow trespassers on their fields?

Ah! A church-basher, ever so common these days. The event has been occurring for the last 60 years with little to no problems, and then this occurs. Like the above poster said, it's a common area and from past experiences it looks agriculturally unsustainable.

If it's not a farmer, which I'm finding it hard to believe, I've full faith that it's the work of local scummers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sherro

A friend of mine told me that some committee members had been up by the cross until 9pm getting it ready and it was fine when they left then they went up early the next morning and someone had poured oil over the statues and wall.

It's either good timing on some scumbags part that they went up after the members had left or someone near by saw them leave and decided to undo the work that had been done.

Advertisement