Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭marcus1971

Marcus, I totally take your point on board about the IWC- if that's what he wants, he'll get one eventually, so maybe I should get him something totally different and classic.

Not sure what Omega he has, I know he told me they retail just under 2K, but his ex gave it to him, he got a friend to sell it for him for way less than that, so I want him to get something totally different from me iykwim?

I really like the look of those Tags carrera heritage, but I will have to suss him out further about where he stands on Tags, because they're certainly not all the same.

I wouldn't really have the confidence to buy vintage, I'd be so worried about getting a fake, or non-existent after-sales service. I've never bought anything on ebay in my life haha, not even sure how it works. I don't think I could afford a Rolex datejust though, I've just done a quick search on ebay, cheapest is 2,599 dollars, most are way more than that though...is this the type you were saying you like?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-MENS-FULSZE-36MM-16030-SS-DATEJUST-QUICKSET-2599-/370530653086?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item564559139e#ht_13226wt_1189

Not a bad find for your first attempt, there is only one little flaw I can see with it though...I'm sure the experts will spot it.

I'm living in the States for the next few months, the market here is very different to Ireland, there are hundreds and hundreds of the Datejusts on ebay here for well less than your 2000Euro limit (remember thats $2800) and as for thebrick and mortar stores almost all of them (exept Rolex) will give around 25% off retail.

...but if you aren't too happy using ebay then its not for you, a good place to look at vintage stuff that you can pick up and examine is in the Powerscourt Town Centre there are a few 2nd hand jewellery stalls/stores on one of the upstairs levels, not sure of what kind of prices they offer but maybe a good idea to just look at them, get a feel for what looks good and what has lasting appeal, I'm sure other bigger jewellers have used stuff too...and there HAS to be good discounts on them.

...I know a lot of these watches we rave about are really great but this should be something for a lifetime not a fad...

ever seen other peoples wedding pics where the fellas had perms and staches?, they thought they were the height of cool back then

...there are divers watches out there I would run over hot coals for now, but I really know that I will not be wearing them in 20 - 30 or 40 years time, the only watch I have that I would NEVER sell is my Rolex AirKing that I got in 1992 for my 21st (second hand from 1985 & 400Punts) and as old as it is now, it doesn't look dated and I could see myself wearing it for the rest of my life unlike my Omega Ploprof that I will probably get rid of in the next couple of years and wonder what the hell I was thinking of buying it for in the first place and what an idiot I looked wearing what basically looks like one of those ankle bracelets the crims wear under house arrest.

Lots and lots to consider, but I would strongly recommend looking and looking at lots of different watches in the flesh as it were, what you see as a giant, blown up picture on your computer screen with lots of photoshopping and professional photograping can be very very underwhelming in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭winterlight

Thanks a million Marcus, a lot of very useful info there. I really enjoyed watching that TimeMachine vid too. I have 3 questions about the watches I see on ebay:

1. Why do so many have a number written in pen or marker on the back of the case of the watch?

2. Why are the serial numbers blocked out (as is the case in the 2nd last picture of the ebay rolex I posted earlier)?

3. Now I'm curious as to what this 'one flaw' is that you noticed?

Thanks a million Marcus, a lot of very useful info there. I really enjoyed watching that TimeMachine vid too. I have 3 questions about the watches I see on ebay:

1. Why do so many have a number written in pen or marker on the back of the case of the watch?

2. Why are the serial numbers blocked out (as is the case in the 2nd last picture of the ebay rolex I posted earlier)?

3. Now I'm curious as to what this 'one flaw' is that you noticed?

1. The number you see inside the caseback is the last time it was serviced... they used to scratch this number inside the caseback, like a tiny engraving, but collectors don't like them to be scratched up like that so a lot of watch makers will date the service with a felt pen.

2. Serial numbers are blocked out to basically preserve the security of the numbering system.... If I had a serial number for a watch that I value at a level my home contents will cover all I would have to do (if I were a crook) would be quote the serial # and say it was stolen from my house and pick up my cheque.

3. The watch has a silver dial, Stainless Steel with engine turned bezel but it has a gold datewheel (although it might just be slightly discoloured or badly photographed)...datewheel should be silver, good start though.....

A "classic" DJ to most would be: 36mm (not the smaller 34mm) silver dial (sunburst/linen/tuxedo/tapestry), Plastic (Acrylic) Crystal, Fluted Bezel....catches the light better than smooth or engine turned bezels & a Jubilee Bracelet.

Its easy enough to find a good one and the sellers all have a %rating...every sale gets a point, every buyer leaves feedback based on how they feel about their purchase, they calculate a percentage feedback system based on happy buyers/sales.....so if a seller has 10,000 sales and a feedback of over 95% positive, its safe to assume that they are good to deal with and its down to your own product research from there....which you are making a good start at.

There are some TT (two tone - gold and stainless steel) versions also, a nice example for sale now on the Rolex Forums:
    http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=187665 - He is asking about 1750 in Euro and the seller has long standing membership there and is most likely trustworthy.

The Rolex Forums and Watchuseek have their own sales areas that usually have decent deals from people that usually look after their watches - whatever the brand - better than the average person.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if he likes the iwc portuguese (which coincidentally is what i got when we got engaged) and you want to get him something that wont look silly on your wedding day with a suit, the stowa 1938 has already been mentioned and its a beauty, they also do a flieger chrono.

http://www.stowa.de/Flieger+Chrono,i1.htm

if he likes the iwc fliegerchrono, in my opinion the archimede is the closest approximation and a lovely watch.

http://www.archimede-uhren.de/EN/Pilot-Chrono.htm

lots of choice for £2k especially if you are prepared to go preowned maybe?

most important thing is that its something he really likes, he will have it a long time :)

Does anyone know- If I was to buy a pre-owned watch online for $$$, would I have to pay tax?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know- If I was to buy a pre-owned watch online for $$$, would I have to pay tax?

Buying from anywhere in the EU is tax free.

Buying from outside the EU will/may attract customs attention..... it can be a bit of a lottery.

I have in the past had more than a few watches sent from the States and they got in under the radar without any additional taxes.

If in advance you ask the seller if it is possible to send it as a gift and reduce the declared value and list it as "watch parts" on the customs declaration it can slip through, if it does not get through scot free there may have to be taxes added.... in general though a good buy from the states, even if it has duty/tax added on arrival, can still be a much better deal than buying in the EU. If your budget is 2000Euro plan on spending around $2400 (1750ish Euro) and you should have enough aside that if you are caught with tax it is still in budget

*Most Important IS To Send Via Regular USPS Post and NOT UPS, FedEx or DHL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭merc3ps

I have seen items marked as "horological item" instead of "watch". Perhaps that fools them!

Reloc8 wrote: »
    I did - if he likes IWC portugese style that might be as close as you can get for the money.

Reloc8, I was just wondering if your Stowa chrono arrived and if you were happy with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Reloc8 wrote: »
    I did - if he likes IWC portugese style that might be as close as you can get for the money.

Reloc8, I was just wondering if your Stowa chrono arrived and if you were happy with it?

He did, he was teasing us during the week with photos. It looks great.

He posted photos here: http://www.boards.ie/thread/2055508118?page=40

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I have a Hamilton Khaki auto chrono which has a similar look to the IWC pilots chrono. Its a good watch for sure, but not really a "special" watch.

For a classic instrument style flieger there's always Sinn or maybe Fortis, who also make the official cosmonauts watches selected for use on the international space station (admittedly, still not quite the cache of a Speedmaster Pro!).

I also like the Oris BC4s, they are not like the IWC pilots but are quite distinctive and modern looking, and Oris are pretty good quality for the price.

Jurawatches in the UK are an online source for all of the above.

Just thought you might be interested to know what watch I ended up buying my fiance. Although he still loves the look of the pilot watches, he was a bit concerned about how big they are. I showed him lots of Stowas, Steinharts and other brands and in the end he fell in love with the Blue Tag Heuer Carrera Heritage Automatic Calibre 6. It's not available in Ireland yet. In fact I had to buy it from the Tag Flagship store in the Westfield in London. Other UK jewellers said they could get me one, but it mightn't be until after Xmas, whereas the Tag flagship store actually had one in stock. So they're sending it out to me. I'm attaching a picture. This is the 39mm one- so not too big! Very excited about getting it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Beautiful and great choice. Now good luck with the wedding.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Beautiful and great choice. Now good luck with the wedding.

I have to thank you Bullseye for pointing me in the direction of the Carrera Heritages!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I have to say that is a stunning watch

Nice find

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

marcus1971 wrote: »
    If it were my watch you were buying I would put as my #1 choice the Rolex Datejust 36mm
    ...a vintage, plexi glass, stainless steel, jubilee bracelet, silver/white/linen or tapestry dial.. one of the most elegant, timeless, understated watches that you could buy within your budget

Bit late now but they actually have one in Delphi antiques in Powerscourt. In the exact spec outlined. Lovely watch and very tempting. I think it's a watch you could buy on your 21st and enjoy for life. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Bit late now but they actually have one in Delphi antiques in Powerscourt. In the exact spec outlined. Lovely watch and very tempting. I think it's a watch you could buy on your 21st and enjoy for life. :cool:

price?

Cyrus wrote: »
    price?

No idea, just saw it in passing. High no doubt.

Cyrus wrote: »
    price?

€2,850

Advertisement