Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want to build a chopper, Does anyone the procedure for registering one in Ireland

• 01-08-2011 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello Everyone,

As title says I'm hoping to build a chopper starting in January, right now I'm looking all the aspects I'll need to do it and well you gotta register it to insure it.

Does anyone on here know procedure for registering one in Ireland?
    I have searched online but haven't turned up much, I know in Britain you can go for the SVA test to register one off vehicles.

Is there any equilivent in Ireland?

Some additional info on my planned build.
    • Donor bike is going to be a GSXR 750 or 1000 K1 2000 or 2001 for engine and all brakes wheels and electirc's.
    • Hard up choppers rigid gsxr frame.chop-wood.jpg

Thanks for any help in advance.
    Regards
    Nic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

The father built one years ago and I can't remember exactly but I think he just used the taxbook for the frame/engine and left it at that. Course there was less red tape 20yrs ago.

Good luck with the project, should be a class machine when your finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You need to get a donor bike with logbook.
    Use the engine number as the number and stamp the frame number or use one of these plates stamped with the correct number.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 nicmcs

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You need to get a donor bike with logbook.
    Use the engine number as the number and stamp the frame number or use one of these plates stamped with the correct number.

Thanks man,

Strictly speaking is using one of those plates or just stamping the frame legal?
    I mean in the event of hassle from the law or god forbid a crash are you covered?
    Nic

Assuming you have declared all modifications to your insurance company then I can't see how you could be not covered?
    Maybe the frame builders number their frames themselves?
    Why would you get hassle from the law if you aren't doing anything illegal.
    Bikes don't have NCT tests, its up to you to make sure they are legal to ride.

Assuming you have declared all modifications to your insurance company then I can't see how you could be not covered?
    Maybe the frame builders number their frames themselves?
    Why would you get hassle from the law if you aren't doing anything illegal.
    Bikes don't have NCT tests, its up to you to make sure they are legal to ride.

No the frame manufacturer doesn't stamp the frames themselves.
    I quess once all mods are declared you'd be ok.
    I don't plan on attracting the law but I want to cover all bases.
    I don't plan on acting the messer on this bike.

Any ideas what the difference to insurance premimium would there be to insuring this kind of bike 50% to 100% more then the standard donor bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You may have trouble because AFAIK the vehicles ID is tied to the frame number not the engine number.

Found this from 3 years ago, looks like it could be difficult

Sticking a fake frame number onto a bike is just asking for trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

chop-wood.jpg

cool looking bike - though it looks like it'd just sound wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Wossack wrote: »
    chop-wood.jpg

I rather the sound of a tuned 4 to the lazy twin.

Aren't bobbers built with old parrall twins as opposed to V's? Or are they the only ones I've seen?

Del2005 wrote: »
    You may have trouble because AFAIK the vehicles ID is tied to the frame number not the engine number.

Found this from 3 years ago, looks like it could be difficult

Sticking a fake frame number onto a bike is just asking for trouble.

Exactly what I was thinking.
    I've found that there is an IVA test available to do in Ireland, looks daunting until I found the English IVA handbook, it explains things, seems to make it doable.
    Plus you'd end up with a new reg.

Wossack wrote: »
    chop-wood.jpg

Yeah I've seen a vid on u tube of one of these and they do sound rough without a can on them, I was planning to use 2 shortened slip on cans one on each side to get a decent sound .
    Also fueling would be out with just straight pipes.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    I rather the sound of a tuned 4 to the lazy twin.

Aren't bobbers built with old parrall twins as opposed to V's? Or are they the only ones I've seen?

I agree the sound of the jap inline 4's in much nicer to the ear's then the harley motors.

Bobbers were originally harley's and indian's that were stripped of unneccessary gear. then the english and european's got in on the act with cafee racer's decades later.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2005/en/si/0412.html

Section 2 (d) would seem to indicate that if this is a one off built by you or for you to your plan you don't need type approval.
    Those aren't fake VIN plates, they are used for exactly this type of situation.
    You could get the frame builder to use the headstock off the old bike and it would have the serial no. on it?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2005/en/si/0412.html

Section 2 (d) would seem to indicate that if this is a one off built by you or for you to your plan you don't need type approval.
    Those aren't fake VIN plates, they are used for exactly this type of situation.
    You could get the frame builder to use the headstock off the old bike and it would have the serial no. on it?

And this is where things get messy,
    I was under the impression that a COC (cert of conformity) was neccessary for what I would be building as a one off bike in order to be issues a new vin number.
    Unfortunately the head stock of the donor bike is aluminium and the new frame is all steel so no can do there.

And who would do this COC in this country given that we have no National Car Test for motorcycles?
    And even if the NCT was the testing authority would you really trust some unknown mechanic who may or may not know anything about motorcycles to certify your bike?
    The whole thing is geared around buying and testing new vehicles/(cars) not catering for specials. Thats why I think the regulation 2(d) is in there so they don't have any headaches when it comes to this kind of deal.

And who would do this COC in this country given that we have no National Car Test for motorcycles?
    And even if the NCT was the testing authority would you really trust some unknown mechanic who may or may not know anything about motorcycles to certify your bike?
    The whole thing is geared around buying and testing new vehicles/(cars) not catering for specials. Thats why I think the regulation 2(d) is in there so they don't have any headaches when it comes to this kind of deal.

According the NSAI the authority who are in charge of the IVA, they have approved test centres.
    here's a link to the list
    http://www.nsai.ie/Our-Services/Certification/Transport-Certification/Motor-Vehicle-Approval-Schemes/Approved-Test-Centers.aspx

At the end of the day I'm only looking for the most legally correct to register and bike my project bike.

Looking at those test centres they don't seem to do class L3e.
    Anyway, let us know how you get on with it.
    Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

My suggestion would be to talk in person to a few people who have done something similar and see how they got around it. The powers that be in this country get very jumpy around anything out of the ordinary so the trick is to come in under the radar so to speak. If you declare a new frame number you will be subject to VRT on a new bike. This money would be better in your pocket for bandanas,arseless chaps or if youre that way inclined,bits for the chop.:D
    Love those Hard Up frames. Reckon you could build a savage,standout machine for relatively small money. Im tempted to splash out on one myself.

Advertisement