Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to pick/break bicycle lock in Cork city

Options
  • 01-08-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm moving apartment and I have a bike locked to a railing here. The problem is I've lost the key to the lock. What would be the cheapest way to pick/break the lock? Is it possible to rent something like an angle grinder or should I just ring a locksmith? I have no experience with anything like this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I assume its a U lock so ya ? you can rent angle grinders at tool hire places, a hacksaw and patience would do it for you too but it would take awhile unless its a total piece of crap lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

a basic hacksaw will cut that for you , you could get a relatively cheap one in a tool shop or get a loan of one , or a loan of boltcutters they would go through it like butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Could you let us know how you get on? A friend of mine has not one but two old locks around the frame of her bike. A bit rusted where the plastic on them has been attacked with a knife, and the bike isn't attached to anything, but she wants rid of them. Not Kryptonite brand (thankfully!) but cheaper cable style locks. Especially irritating is the fact her bike is worthless and while it works it is just a world of potential disaster for the rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Hi guys,

I'm moving apartment and I have a bike locked to a railing here. The problem is I've lost the key to the lock. What would be the cheapest way to pick/break the lock? Is it possible to rent something like an angle grinder or should I just ring a locksmith? I have no experience with anything like this!
    Where are you located, I may be able to sort this for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement