Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train stop in carrigtwohill ?

Options
  • 01-08-2011 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

just wondering is there any path or shortcut form the train stop to the IDA industrial estate at the start of carrigtwohill or must you walk all the way back to the main road and around?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

just wondering is there any path or shortcut form the train stop to the IDA industrial estate at the start of carrigtwohill or must you walk all the way back to the main road and around?

The Irish way, Sure if we had a shortcut or path it would be full of drugs and teenagers, Sure we couldn't have that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

it just seems like a bit of a planing mess up really not having the station nearer where probably a few thousand people work. Would i be right in saying prob a 15 min walk from the stop to the industrial est ?

A station was actually planned for there but I don't think anything will be built in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

it just seems like a bit of a planing mess up really not having the station nearer where probably a few thousand people work. Would i be right in saying prob a 15 min walk from the stop to the industrial est ?
    Yes it would be, give or take a few minutes! Bit of a disaster alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There was meant to be a road through Castlelake that would have cut the walk down to less than 10 minutes. In typical Irish fashion this was supposed to have been opened years ago, but nothing has happened.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »
    There was meant to be a road through Castlelake that would have cut the walk down to less than 10 minutes. In typical Irish fashion this was supposed to have been opened years ago, but nothing has happened.

logo-guaranteed-irish.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

IDA will be funding the new station.
    And with another new factory going in there over the next year or two it is badly needed.
    In the short term could you pick up a cheap second hand bike and leave it at the station.I say it would only be a 5 min cycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrigtwohill_West_railway_station

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'd take the bus tbh. It might be a bit more crowded, less comfortable and more expensive, but there's a bus stop right outside the industrial estate.

A new stop for the industrial estate? In terms of the train track that's only a few hundred yards between stops. :eek:

Oh, and though there's no road through Castle Lake, you could probably take a short cut through there anyway if you don't mind getting your boots dirty. Could cut the journey almost in half.

I'd take the bus tbh. It might be a bit more crowded, less comfortable and more expensive, but there's a bus stop right outside the industrial estate.

A new stop for the industrial estate? In terms of the train track that's only a few hundred yards between stops. :eek:

Oh, and though there's no road through Castle Lake, you could probably take a short cut through there anyway if you don't mind getting your boots dirty. Could cut the journey almost in half.
    Sure it doenst matter if its a few hundred yards between stops, the fact is the stop is a fair bit away walking from the industrial estate it actually passes through , where thousands of potential customers work every day. Hopefully the IDA follows through with their plans soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

There is a bus stop right outside the IDA business park, maybe catch the bus in future if there is a stop near you?

If you are in the city centre you can get a bus from the main bus station.

Also, there was a train stop planned for the business park but that was because of the Amgen project. As that was scrapped (and subsequently relocated to another county) I don't think that train stop will ever be built.

• Advertisement

kingtut wrote: »
    There is a bus stop right outside the IDA business park, maybe catch the bus in future if there is a stop near you?

If you are in the city centre you can get a bus from the main bus station.

Also, there was a train stop planned for the business park but that was because of the Amgen project. As that was scrapped (and subsequently relocated to another county) I don't think that train stop will ever be built.
    I think amgen was actually meant to be on that huge site on the left hand side of the dual carrigeway after carrigtwohill but before mideltion , they cleared the site and build access roads and everything.

It doesnt bother me, im just thinking its a bit of a fail in the planning dept .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

You should see their future plans for the village....

You should see their future plans for the village....
    Yes their plans have been great so far, half finished apartments as far as the eye can see.

Advertisement