Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did you get your Baby's name from?

Options
  • 01-08-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

We are expecting our first in early November. We both decided to write down about 10 boys and girls names and compare them before we narrow it down.

Just wondering where did you get your childs name from?
    A film, tv programme, a book, relatives name?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

From the baby name thread here..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yup, there's a baby name thread in the pregnant section...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055337887

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I have a thing about not posting my kid's name on d'internet, but basically we gave him his first name because it is a strong family name on both sides and his second name because we liked it. We ended up calling him by his second name though as my brother (same name) was living with us at the time and it was all too confusing. His second name (ie the one we call him by) is one I have always loved, we have an old friend that name and it reminds us of somewhere we used to live. It totally suits him too. I think no matter what name you end up giving a child, they make it their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

We wanted Irish names and had two girls and two boys (we've twins) picked out from a list of about 5 each initially. We went with them purely because we liked them. No family connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Had a little girl eleven weeks ago and called her Lexie. I had no particular reason for picking it at the time - I just liked it. About a week after I had her I realised that the name was probably in my head from watching Greys Anatomy :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

When I found out I was pregnant I gave my other half the job of naming the baby. He spend months on it and came up with 5 boys and 2 girls names. I was so no on this planet in the hospital that I went with whatever he said but 10 months later I love it, even if my mother can't remember it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

egan2020 wrote: »
    Had a little girl eleven weeks ago and called her Lexie. I had no particular reason for picking it at the time - I just liked it. About a week after I had her I realised that the name was probably in my head from watching Greys Anatomy :o

I have an Addison here!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

1st time I heard the name Dearbhail I fell in love with it, so many many years later I got to use it.
    Caoimhe was also one of my favourite names since I was a child and luckily himself likes it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

There was a girl in my primary school with the same name (who I didn't particularly like) so I thought I would be put off it for life. Then when we were thinking about names one day my OH suggested it and I really like it, it really suits her too I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Ours was just a name that we both liked. We both wanted a name that wasn't too common but not completely wierd either. We've two names picked for our next one which are both uncommon but not completely unusual. Remains to be seen which one will be used!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

January wrote: »
    I have an Addison here!

I have a Mya too but she was born before Private Practice started so it didn't come from there. My sister had a little boy recently and called him Sam - he might meet your Addison some day :D

My daughter heard Victoria Beckham called her daughter Harper and she said that she must watch Wizards of Waverly Place. American TV appears to be very influential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Thanks for the heads up on the baby name thread, must give it a trawl and see if anything springs up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My son is named after his granddad, that was never going to be discussed, it was just fact.

However since we did not know the gender before he was born, we both came up with our favourite girls names (had to be Irish) so he had Caomhlinn and I had Clodagh, but since we did not like them he suggested Aisling and I loved it too. So it was decided like that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

we went through baby name books, to find names that we wanted,

i wanted something that was easy to spell pronounce and that (as sad as it sounds) you could easily find on those cups/stickerbooks/cards/balloon things..

growing up i had one of those names it took me until senior infants to learn how to spell and was always mis pronounced throughout school/work and when i was in 3rd class the majority of my class got sticker books with their names on the front and i never could find one with my name it was for me at the time a very traumatic experience :(, same thing happened in years to come with pens, everybody had pens with their names on them but my mother could never find one with my name on it.

in the end we picked one that he found that matched my criteria and fitted perfectly with her middle name (same name as both of my grandmothers) and her surname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Not quite sure - went through baby name books and thousands of lists and her name never even made the shortlist.

Then the week before she was born, it popped into my head and after she was born, it was the only one that suited her. And it went well with the middle name I had my heart set on - her middle name is a version of a family members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mw9121970

I have a thing about not posting my kid's name on d'internet, but basically we gave him his first name because it is a strong family name on both sides and his second name because we liked it. We ended up calling him by his second name though as my brother (same name) was living with us at the time and it was all too confusing. His second name (ie the one we call him by) is one I have always loved, we have an old friend that name and it reminds us of somewhere we used to live. It totally suits him too. I think no matter what name you end up giving a child, they make it their own.

We also gave our son a name that was in both families. I was completely blown away by my husbands, aunts, reaction. She made me feel like I brought someone very dear to her back to life - well at least the very fond memories.

We used a book of names and a felt-tip pen.

We bought a book of names. One or other of us would take a letter of the alphabet and black out any name we didn't want with a felt-tip pen. Then the other one would take the remaining names and do the same. We never discussed this while we were doing it. The theory was that eventually we would come up with a short list of names that neither of us disliked, and then we'd pick one of those.

By the time we'd gone through the book, we were left with about 20 names in all - about the same number for boys and girls. Every so often over the next few weeks, one or other of us would strike out one of the names, and again with no discussion about this between us.

About 3-4 weeks before the due date, we were left (I kid you not) with 2 boys names and 2 girls names. Then we sat down and talked for a while before deciding which names we'd use - one of each.

I don't really remember much about our "long" shortlist, except for two things. None of the names were Irish, and all of them had a very long history. The two names we finished up with were both more than 2,000 years old and have variants in loads of different languages.

By the way, if you haven't read about it before, you should keep in mind a test I once read about in a magazine article. The test is to put the name you've decided to give your child into three sentences - and if any of the sentences sound wrong then you need to think about a different name.

Assuming you want to call your daughter Mary (as many of us did here in days of yore), here are the three sentences:

* Is Mary coming out to play?

* I wonder if Mary is ready for this promotion.

* I love you, Mary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

First child (male) called after a film star, he was a few weeks old and referred to as baby as we couldn't agree on a name, after watching a dvd, looking at the credits I said what about **** and we went with that, his co-stars name was Holly, that would never have worked!!

Second child (female) named after a current affairs broadcaster, just because we liked the sound of the name

Neither names are very common which we also liked

Advertisement