Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the best age for a heifer to calf at?

• 01-08-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I am just trying to plan ahead here, reared a few heifers on the bucket this year, wondering what your thoughts are on when best to have them calf, some people tell me to bull them at 2 years, others say to have them calf at 2 years, suppose a lot will depend on their size, they were march born, so if they calfed at 2 years it would work with the aul fella's cows, im just not too sure. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

have nbeen afew debates on here about this , it depends on youe system ... 2.5 yo suits me fine .. some of the guys that are spring calving only have to go for 2 year old

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

whelan1 wrote: »
    have nbeen afew debates on here about this , it depends on youe system ... 2.5 yo suits me fine .. some of the guys that are spring calving only have to go for 2 year old
    Ah ok I searched but couldnt find anything about it on here, well any time would be ok for us cause at times cows calf at any time of year, id like them calfed around christmas time forward but just checked, they are april born, so to work into my time theyd be just over the 2.5 yrs, I could be a long time seeing a return, and may be just aswell sell them on this winter, but id like to see how they would do for me, im prob lookin too far into future for now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Would agree with above. We tend to bull replacement heifers born in autumn, in spring twelve mounths, ie at 18 mths, to fall in with the spring calvers.
    Aswell as age, size, condition, and I suppose breed would come into the equation too, as would the breed of bull being used to inseminate/bull them.

Yeah well theres a good bit to consider, these are black lim out of British fr, TKO would be the bull id be aiming to use aswell, very impressed with his calves, maybe I should close thread and open it in a years time again!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

If they were born Mar/Apr 2011, you'll be looking at them a while alright. But the time flies. I was told the same when I started to breed my own replacements, when you do a few every year, you always have a few coming along after the initial wait!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi OP
    Think you said they were born in April, if so it would be better to leave them till approx 2 and a half yr old to calve them. If they were born in Jan feb then they could calve at 2 yr old or perhaps 26 months.

Earlier born calves will perform much better at grass the first summer than april calves. I think they would want to be at least 350kg when going to the bull.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated, ive just tried them out for to pass the time since downturn in construction :( always done donkeywork about the place but never much else and came on here for info cause the aul fella seems to do everything assways lol! Im thinking on getting a few more this winter, decmber/jan time, it was really good boost to get you out of the house every morning and would recommend it to anyone with too much spare time on their hands!! *take deep breath after that* :D

Advertisement