Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N64 essentials

• 01-08-2011 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭

Just picked up a N64 with a couple of games and looking for recommendations of the must-have titles for this.

So far I've got GoldenEye, Mario Kart 64, Shadows of the Empire, Zelda OoT with Perfect Dark & Llyat Wars on the way.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So far I've got GoldenEye on the way.

All you need :P

Not an expert on N64 by any stretch - PS1 house - but Majoras Mask and Mario 64 are two terrific games. Pilotwings 64 is crack too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Prepare to be disappointed by Goldeneye. However if you can play it with roes tinted glasses intact then you might be able to enjoy Perfect Dark.

A 4 MB RAM expansion is essential for some of the later games.

Also the N64 is going to look absolutely terrible through the standard cables on any TV. My advice is to pick up some modified s-video cables from consolegoods.co.uk to get the best possible picture quality.

Anyway other than what has been mentioned the essentials would be:

Banjo Kazooie and Banjo tooie
    Conkers Bad Fur Day (I hate it but some people have no taste)
    Turok 2
    Space Station silicon Valley
    Rayman 2
    Donkey Kong 64 (not a fan of this either)
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Mystical Ninja
    Goemons great adventure
    Kirby 64
    Robot Rocket on Wheels
    Mischief Makers
    Castlevania (not as bad as some let on)
    Castlevania curse of darkness
    Body Harvest
    Blast Corp (pretty much essential!)
    Starfox 64
    Smash Bros
    Pokemon Snap
    Wetrix
    Beetle Adventure Racing
    F-zero X
    Excitebike 64
    Jet Force Gemini

And if you are into importing (you'll need a US Machine and a modded one to play the Jap games):

Sin and Punishment
    Ogre Battle 64
    Bangai-O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Super smash bros!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Read the charter.
    Spamming
    - Topics/posts that are just complete nonsense will be deleted.

LoGiE

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Enjoy your trip.

Hyrule is a damn nice place to visit. Lots of polygons though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Cheers, off to ebay I go then :)

Will be playing on an old 21" tv so will probably have to make do with composite I guess. Some difference going from Dragon Age 2 on the PS3 to Zelda on this :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's got an s-video port and you use one of those modified s-video cables it's going to look fantastic on a CRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If it's got an s-video port and you use one of those modified s-video cables it's going to look fantastic on a CRT.

I use one of these lads with the svideo from the N64, works very well. it really is as close to RGB you'll get without the messy job of modding the console...not much difference in RGB & a BIG difference in the image.

scart2.jpg

I must get one of them myself. I inherited my brothers piece of **** TV recently and it hasn't any s-video sockets while my great LG TV has been taken by the parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

RE: Perfect Dark

If you play it for about 6 hours straight your eyes adjust and it starts to look good again... but be warned, when you reenter the real world, don't get freaked out when your in a room with more than 3 people and nothing slows down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I've a soft spot for the Doom conversion on the 64, I reckon its worth a punt .
    (except for having to reconfigure your controls each time , and a password save that is)

Advertisement