Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Grant

Options
  • 01-08-2011 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I am a postgrad student. I know the income limits for the student grant. Does anybody know is there a limit as to how much you are allowed to have in your bank account in order to still be eligible for the grant? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

lolliemc wrote: »
    I am a postgrad student. I know the income limits for the student grant. Does anybody know is there a limit as to how much you are allowed to have in your bank account in order to still be eligible for the grant? :confused:

No - they only assess income - they don't assess savings as part of the means test

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6 loli

My husband graduated in 2007 with a Degree and went straight to london to study a masters in Fine Art. He is due to begin a HDip in Teaching Sept 2011 we are way below the monetary means test. Does Anybody know if he would be entitled for a grant? In our eyes the HDip is a progressive step in terms of his career as there are no jobs at present in anything other than teaching art in that field.
    Also the other aspect was to qualify 3 out of the last 5 years must be spent in Ireland this shouldnt include time spent studying so I think he is safe with this.
    Sept 2006-2007 Living in ireland
    Sept 2007-2008 Studyng Masters in England
    Sept 2008-2010 Living in England
    Sept 2010 -2011 Living in Ireland

Any advice would be appreciated please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

loli wrote: »
    My husband graduated in 2007 with a Degree and went straight to london to study a masters in Fine Art. He is due to begin a HDip in Teaching Sept 2011 we are way below the monetary means test. Does Anybody know if he would be entitled for a grant? In our eyes the HDip is a progressive step in terms of his career as there are no jobs at present in anything other than teaching art in that field.
    Also the other aspect was to qualify 3 out of the last 5 years must be spent in Ireland this shouldnt include time spent studying so I think he is safe with this.

did he receive funding for the masters ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6 loli

No he worked throughout his degree and his masters and paid for them himself

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

By my reckoning though, that's only 2 years out of 5 in Ireland... I don't think you can count the year he was studying abroad as if he were here... although I'm open to correction on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

because he has a masters they may refuse him a grant - I'm not entirely sure of that though

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Oh I didn't even see that. In order to get a grant for postgrad study, each year of study must be an academic progression from the last- the order would be

Degree
    H.Dip
    Masters
    PhD.

Therefore, I'm 99.9999999% certain that having already having a masters means doing a H.Dip will not be seen as an academic progression from the last. That would rule him out for the grant for that reason.

Best thing to do is contact the grant department in your local Co. Council

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

In order to get a grant u must progress as follows:

Ordinary Degree
    Honours Degree
    HDip
    Masters
    PHD.

That rules u out for a grant for the Hdip as u already did a Masters.

Advertisement