Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property needing "plastered and second fixing"

Options
  • 01-08-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at a house for sale, it's partly completed and needs plastered and second fixing. What kind of cost would be involved in bringing this to a finish? House is approximately 1800 square feet.

It's in Donegal if that makes a big difference.

The house has an asking price of €70k with offers closing on September 2nd. Is that like sealed bids or something? Only spotted the place tonight so haven't had a chance to ring the EA yet.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

A lot depends on the quality of fitting you choose/specify. You are buying a shell with some wires and pipes laid in. It could be 10k for plastering. After that you will have to put in electrical and plumbing fittings as well as skirting boards architraves and internal doors. Kitchen units will have to be bought, sanitary ware for bathrooms and also fireplaces. The grounds will have to be landscaped and a driveway constructed and maybe also a perimeter wall. The entire will need to be painted and decorated. 100k could well be spent without going too mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

€100k???

Really? I've been doing some figures in my head and cane nowhere near that.

Last time I had some plastering done it was 2 full rooms, walls and ceilings and it was about €300. €10k sounds extreme! Maybe I just got lucky with a plasterer, quality was great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property

You really need to give people more information to go on.

Victor wrote: »
    Moved from Accommodation & Property

Thanks, this seems a better fit!

Victor wrote: »
    You really need to give people more information to go on.

Anything in particular that would make estimating easier?

I'll know more in the morning when I get in touch with the EA and I'll take a trip up to the site tomorrow evening but so far...
    • Location - Donegal (rural)
    • Size - 1800 sq ft
    • Rooms - kitchen, dining, living, bathroom, utility, hallway, 4 bedroom, downstairs toilet
    • Outside - As far as I can tell there is a wall around at least part of the boundary. Driveway is rough stone so will need sorted
    • Interior - I know the wife would kill for oak rather than pine for the skirting boards architraves and internal doors but it depends on the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Last time I had some plastering done it was 2 full rooms, walls and ceilings and it was about €300.
    Was it "mates rates"?

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Was it "mates rates"?

Nope. Never met the fella, he was recommended by a colleague of my brother.

Had some plastering done at "mate's rates" the year before and that was even cheaper but the guy has since emmigrated. Selfish git!

Throwing together some basic budget items here, might be a mile out and I'm sure I'm forgetting plenty but it's nearly 4am, gimme a break! :D
    • Plastering - sack the €10k estimate, I'll go €3000 if I can track down the same guy as before.
    • Kitchen - her indoors reckons she could have a fitted kitchen installed, including granite work surfaces, and wall tiles for under €10k. We know a guy who used to work fitting kitchens for one of the big chains too.
    • Bathroom - suite she likes in B&Q about €1500, we know a plumber so won't be too pricey to install. She'll want a beast of a shower though, add another €1500!
    • Downstairs loo - basic bog and sink, €200
    • Fireplace(s) - She wants a gas fire in the living room, and priced some at around €1000. Standard open fireplace in the other room if there is one, €500
    • Doors, S&A - I know if we're finishing from this stage, she'll want oak. Estimating about 10 doors @ €100 each = €1000. S&A I'm less sure on the price so gues-timating about €200 per room average? That's another €2200 then.
    • Staircase - Oak again, so guessing anything up to €2000?
    • Painting - Would intend on doing it all myself. Budget €500 for paint
    • Radiators - €2000 (rough estimate)
    • Floors - €3000 (same)
    • Electrician - €1000, based on seeing other people's quotes for similar size houses and rounding up.
    • Tiling - Main bathroom and small bog, €1000 (no doubt she'll want the priciest tiles...)
    Totalling that lot up = €30,400 and that's working to the high spec that the wife will no doubt want. Cost of plumbing won't be too much due to family member in the trade. Only other tradesman that we'd need to pay full rate for is for the woodwork. Floors, doors, S&A etc. We have pretty much all the furniture we need in our current house, but can allow a few thousand for any extra needed.

So although I'm not sure what to allow for the carpenter/joiner, we're only just breaking €30k so far. Mind you the guy I mentioned who used to work for a big DIY chain as a kitchen fitter might work out.

As I said, I'm sure I'm missing out plenty so please point it out. Never built before (or finished a half build), only renovated a fair bit in our current house so I'm quite thick when it comes to this stuff. Just make sure there's a few grand leftover to furnish my home cinema... ;)

I haven't touched on the outside as I honestly don't know exactly what state it is in. I'll know more tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Electrician - €1000, based on seeing other people's quotes for similar size houses and rounding up.
    Make sure he's fully qualified, as the ESB (or whoever you go with) won't touch the house unless it's signed off by a qualified electrician.

As for 2nd fixing... the cost will depend on how much got done before the original builder went out of business. I'm assuming that there is an electricity pole nearby the house? I ask as some "new builds" are built away from electical sources...

the_syco wrote: »
    As for 2nd fixing... the cost will depend on how much got done before the original builder went out of business. I'm assuming that there is an electricity pole nearby the house? I ask as some "new builds" are built away from electical sources...

Not sure if it was a builder going bust, or could it be a customer running out of money and abandoning?

There is an electricity pole nearby.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

have you had a full pre purchase survey carried out on this proper before you think of buying? how long has it stood in this condition?

is there any moisture damage due to no heating system?
    is there insulation in attic? water tanks etc?

some comments on your prices...

1. it would be a very plain oak stair for less than 2k
    2. oak doors will need ironmongery... add another €500 to your price for ironmongery that would suit oak doors.
    3. have you priced up an esb connection fee?
    4. is there conditions of planning not yet carried out that you would be accepting once you buy? and if so how much to cost to complete?
    5. whats your potable water? well or mains connection?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

+1 on sydthebeat

+ who was employed for Opinion on Compliance & whats the proposed BER & renewable energy requirements.

Thanks for the comments guys, very helpful.

Been up to the house this evening for a look from the outside and while it has it's strong points, (fantastic view and plenty of lawn space), it has more negatives than positives.

The site is a mess, clearly been empty for a few years. Completely overgrown and untidy, would need a massive overhaul. The house itself also looks rough. No guttering or drainpipes, and more importantly I couldn't see any electrics inside. I understood that the wiring should be in, so I was expecting to see cables hanging out of various places, instead there doesn't seem to be anything.

I think this potential purchase just took a downward turn...

Image here;
    169306.JPG

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

that house needs a hell of a lot more than just plastering and second fix...

could that possibly be 2" of polystyrene i see in the cavity?? is it 2011 or 1991??

will the vendor provide full certification of compliance with building regulations and planning permission to this stage??
    id strongly advise you to engage someone to do a full survey before you proceed any further... or choose to walk away now.

i see many of these half built zombie houses around these days. The timber will show signs of moisture problems and possibly rotting. If thats the case, then id be prepared to pay no more than what you consider the site value.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i see many of these half built zombie houses around these days. The timber will show signs of moisture problems and possibly rotting. If thats the case, then id be prepared to pay no more than what you consider the site value.

Well sites in similar spots are listed at around the same asking price as this place including the house.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    or choose to walk away now.

Quite close to that currently...

Going to have a word with the EA first though, see why they are advertising a house as just needing plastering and second fixing when it's clearly much more than that.

Advertisement