Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City today

• 01-08-2011 8:28pm
    Site Banned Posts: 40

Went to Cork today with the missus ! Had a super day...
    They may be in a recession down there ,I would say Limerick is in a depression..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Galway's the same.

Limerick is very, very badly off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Butterfly25

soprano123 wrote: »
    Went to Cork today with the missus ! Had a super day...
    They may be in a recession down there ,I would say Limerick is in a depression..

Yea theres a great atmosphere in Cork City! Love it down there! Limerick has great potential, if only someone would take some interest in the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Agree completely. Was down in Cork a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't believe the buzz around the place, not to mention how busy the streets were, and the fact that there were hardly any shops closed down or boarded up.
    Limerick is definitely an absolute disaster in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Limerick's downfall isn't a consequence of the recession. It's down to suburbanisation, a result of bad planning by the city and county councils.

• Site Banned Posts: 40 soprano123

Also a big problem is the traders don't work together...its all me me and me ! Nothing on for the weekend again..
    Also we were promised 2 concerts in Thomand Park this year and we end up with one .A poor one at that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Also a big problem is the traders don't work together...its all me me and me ! Nothing on for the weekend again..
    Also we were promised 2 concerts in Thomand Park this year and we end up with one .A poor one at that

Its Thomond park ffs :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

I just passed through the city centre and i agree....it is border line depressing..it saddens me to say it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Barely a soul in there at half 3 last Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

I blame the loss of visitors on the ingenious proposed tourist attraction that floated down the river after Christmas.... what other reasons are left to come to our fine city (sarcasm) :)

I blame the loss of visitors on the ingenious proposed tourist attraction that floated down the river after Christmas.... what other reasons are left to come to our fine city (sarcasm) :)

are you talking about yourself again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

From Cork and recently returned to Limerick, I lived here about 15 years ago and it was great, but jaysus its bleak now.

As a test go to entertainment dot ie and look for gigs in cork versus limerick.. or even clonakilty versus limerick...

I really dont understand why the river has been so neglected and mismanaged in terms of development. All those manky apartment buildings on one side and nothing on the other? In most other cities the river is the centre of development and everything radiates from there?

Limerick should be buzzing... should be. At he moment its just a provincial passthrough

Free parking in the city centre and more events to pull people in would be a nice start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭pebbletroy

yeah, im going to CORK FOR 3 DAYS ON WEDNESDAY & EVERYTIME I GO THE PLACE IS BUZZING. I WAS IN KILLARNEY 2 WEEKS AGO & THE PLACE WAS ELECTRIC, ANYTIME I VISIT GALWAY I LOVE IT TOO & IM OFF TO DUBLIN SOON TOO. I AM A PROUD LIMERICK GIRL & ALWAYS DO MY BIT TO SUPPORT THE CITY BY GOING TO THE PUBS & RESTURANTS & ACUTALLY WALKING AROUND THE PLACE, ALL MY FAMILY & FRIENDS JUST GO TO THE CRESCENT. LIMERICK HAS SUCH POTENTIAL BUT LIKE MANY SAID ITS JUST BEEN NEGLECTED, IT SHOULD HAVE SOME UNIQUE SELLING POINT LIKE A GREAT SHOPPING HUB OR LIVE MUSIC BUT APART FROM SPORT IT DOESNT. WHAT I SUGGEST LADS IS TO WRITE TO ONE OR ALL OF THE THESE THREE PEOPLE, JIM LONG THE MAYOR OF LIMERICK, TOM MACKEY THE CITY MANAGER OR LAURA RYAN OF THE LIMERICK COORDINATION OFFICE. I E MAILED TWO OF THEM & WROTE TO THE OTHER, YE MIGHTNT GET A REPLY BUT STILL AT LEAST THEY WILL KNOW THAT SOME OF US ACTUALLY DO CARE ABOUT OUR CITY & DONT WANT TO SEE IT GO DOWN THE SWANEE, I'LL LET YE KNOW ABOUT MY RESPONSES. ANYWAY ITS BETTER THAN JUST COMPLAINING.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

pebbletroy wrote: »
    , ALL MY FAMILY & FRIENDS JUST GO TO THE CRESCENT. .

And that is the problem. When your city gets replaced by a souless fuckin pit like that.

Mass boycott the cresent and every other out of town superdump. Get real local shops into the city centre, support them, free parking, lots of music, lots of cops taking no ****e from wasters.... and it has a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

spent a lot of time (and cash) in limerick years ago, very rarely go near the place now, as mentioned the city now all over the place, too many suburbia (spelling??) centres, and the city centre itself is nothing short of derelict rubbish dump.

spent a couple of days in belfast last week, just fabulous, something for all interests and the place is spotless

• Site Banned Posts: 40 soprano123

Limerick Co Ordination office is a joke ....
    Not up to the job,grand during the good times,but now the whole country is fighting for tourists!their not up for the job.
    Its a joke ! USELESS !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

IBTL

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

IBTL

:confused:

Go on..?

Go on..?

I also wondered about this this morning as i ate my brekkie....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

As much as it's in the past and over two years now, Dell wrecked this town by leaving it. The unemployment rate here is shocking so it's no wonder the town has been feeling the pinch. One thing the crescent doesn't have, thankfully, is pubs. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The Population of Limerick floats around 90,000 and Dell let go around 1800 people. That is a small percentage(A lot of people but a small percentage none the less). Dell did not kill Limerick.

Look at Cork City.

Cork lost Ford and Dunlop all those years ago and look at the city now. Dell was never the final nail in the coffin for Limerick. Limerick had high unemployment prior to the recession, during the recession and pre and post Dell and all the ancillary business's.

Increased Taxes, commerical rates, pull out of UK stores, upward only rent reviews, miniscule access to credit, lack of overdrafts etc etc is why some stores are struggling and/or gone.

Couple that with the consumer who is hit with challenge upon challenge. Increased Mortgages Interest Rates, Lowered Tax Band Cut offs, Universal Social Charges, New Housing Tax or whatever they want to call it, Lower Social Welfare payments, small access to credit and/overdrafts.

All this works against the prosperity of the city. Dell didn't wreck this town. This town put a lot of eggs in Dells basket and like any proper business they moved to where they could make more money with lower operating costs.

Mind you, they lost their hole in Poland because their most recent buyer pulled out of the deal and Dell are still stuck with it after wanting to move to Malaysia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Beer Baron wrote: »
    The Population of Limerick floats around 90,000 and Dell let go around 1800 people. That is a small percentage(A lot of people but a small percentage none the less). Dell did not kill Limerick.

Look at Cork City.

Cork lost Ford and Dunlop all those years ago and look at the city now. Dell was never the final nail in the coffin for Limerick. Limerick had high unemployment prior to the recession, during the recession and pre and post Dell and all the ancillary business's.

Increased Taxes, commerical rates, pull out of UK stores, upward only rent reviews, miniscule access to credit, lack of overdrafts etc etc is why some stores are struggling and/or gone.

Couple that with the consumer who is hit with challenge upon challenge. Increased Mortgages Interest Rates, Lowered Tax Band Cut offs, Universal Social Charges, New Housing Tax or whatever they want to call it, Lower Social Welfare payments, small access to credit and/overdrafts.

All this works against the prosperity of the city
    . Dell didn't wreck this town. This town put a lot of eggs in Dells basket and like any proper business they moved to where they could make more money with lower operating costs.

Mind you, they lost their hole in Poland because their most recent buyer pulled out of the deal and Dell are still stuck with it after wanting to move to Malaysia.

All of those things work against the consumer in every town and city so Limerick is not unique in that sense and cannot use that as an excuse for being so run down and poor in terms of being a modern big town/small city.

Limerick has had most of the damage done to it by the authorities/councils/planners who were meant to be growing Limerick, and making Limerick an attractive and modern option for retailers and other businesses.

All Limerick has is people who work for those authorities or for various PR groups who love to give soundbytes of how Limerick is the envy of Ireland/Europe and has the best shopping facilities/tourist facilities/clubbing facilities/best "historic" music venue as I have heard Thomond Park called/fill in whatever amenities, they are trying to BS the public about.

Places like Cork and Galway try to ensure that they have shopping areas, business areas, entertainment areas etc etc that make people on the outside recognise them as cities worth going to. The Limerick approach is to just have people make big claims about how much is in Limerick in order to make people think that it is a city when more and more it is resembling a run down big town.

I have always said that Limerick is a spot that has huge potential that is pretty much untapped, and it will remain that way for a long as the people in charge are small minded parish pump politic types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Go on..?

Well seeing as you asked...
    Without getting snippy, you seem to enjoy closing threads. Now a thread with a title like Cork City Today, I would have assumed it would be like catnip to you and you might find reason to close it.
    So by adding IBTL to the thread, I thought I might call your bluff or use reverse pyschology (call it what you will) and that you may leave the thread unlocked. ;)

Nobody likes getting second guessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ah but in Limerick we have JP who we can go to "cap in hand" and ask to "fix" our city or get his friends to fix our city.

Take one bad example from a recent Mayor whom wanted to send all the "foreigners" home so Limerick/Irish people could get the jobs.

We are a River City supposedly yet we never capitalised on it. Take Lapps Quay in Cork for example. Its right next to the Docks. We also have a Quay right next to the Docks. They have a Clarion on that Quay(with a Jurys around the corner), so do we. They have apartments, so do we. They have cool little glass cafes, we have clampers and a grafitti clad skatepark(cant win really, because we needed it). Lapps Quay in Cork is full of drunks and scang balls after dark but then again Steamboat Quay can be victim of that sometimes as well. Its just a little section of Limerick that was never capitalised on. Remember Aslan would play on a stage down there when the pub was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

This town is depressing as fook, theres nothing to do here aside from pubs or cinema after 6pm most nights , go to Galway and places are buzzing even midweek, loads going on, plenty of tourists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Limerick Co Ordination office is a joke ....
    Not up to the job,grand during the good times,but now the whole country is fighting for tourists!their not up for the job.
    Its a joke ! USELESS !

That's because it doesn't exist anymore, it was relaunched as the Limerick Communications office some time ago.

http://www.limerickcommunicationsoffice.ie/

I think the people behind Limerick.ie make a reasonably good attempt at promoting the good things happening in the city, have a look at their website for the August events:

http://limerick.ie/visiting/highlights/augustevents/

However, as somebody else pointed out, perhaps there is too much of a focus on sporting events alone. Actually looking at the Limerick Communications homepage, 4 of the 6 events on it are promoting sporting events. There is also a piece about JP's €50,000 Community Challenge initiative to clean up different neighbourhoods, and a piece of promotional fluff by the city's hoteliers (one of whose number recently jacked up the price of someone's reservation because it fell on a rugby weekend, according to a recent poster in this forum).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Problem is that we have a lot of dopes in positions of power, went to them with loads of ideas for tourism generation in the city and they all said thats great, fantastic, brilliant go away and do it but if you want help doing it go and f*** yourself as we are busy fighting over who hacked our phones or who sent scuriless emails or JPs medallion FFS and until we sort these out the city can fall down for all we care, shower of ***** :mad:

Advertisement