Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Campagnolo Mirage Crankset

Options
  • 01-08-2011 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have just started cycling a couple of years ago I now started taking part in organised 100-160Km Cycling events across Ireland. I recently bought a Claud Buttler Milano road bike second hand (2006 approx) It is equipped with the following:
    Campagnolo Mirage (170) 2x9s Speed 39T-53T Crankset.
    Campagnolo XENON Front Derailleur
    Campagnolo Xenon Lever Set
    Campagnolo Veloce UltraDrive 9s Speed Cassette 13T/28T
    Campagnolo XENON 9s Speed Rear Derailleur
    Campagnolo Xenon Lever Set.

I find it to be a lovely smooth changing system, and I am quite pleased with it for normal road use, however I am now doing a lot more hill work (Cat 3 and 4 MapMyRide.com) so I am finding this gear set not to be low enough.

I have been looking to replace the Crankset with Mirage (170) 3x9 Speed 30T-40T-53T Crankset but they seen to be discontinued, I can locate CampagnoloTRIPLE™ COMP 10s crankset. Can anybody advise me if this can work with my existing 9s Speed Cassette, and Lever Set and if so what else needs changing? or is there a better way to go about this?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

If you are moving from a double (9 x2) to a triple (9 x 3) you will need a new set of shifters as the shifters you have will not allow the movement needed to move the chain across the 3 rings. You will also need a new triple Front derailleur for the same reason as the shifters.
    It may be simpler and cheaper to invest in a compact chainset. This is normally 50-34 or sometimes 50-36. The 50- 34 will give you plenty of space to get up any climb available here in Ireland.
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Suppless

Actually there would be no need for new levers, because Campagnolo levers can be used with a double or triple chainset.
    According to the Wiggle website for the chainset you mentioned
    " Supplied with 30-42-52 rings which are compatable with 9 or 10 speed chains "
    What you would need is a longer bottom bracket, as the triple chainset is wider. I think the correct width is 115.5 mm.
    And also a triple front der. as bcmf stated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ResDesRun

Thank you both for your prompt reply!
    I have looked at the possibility of using a compact set, but I feel I will lose out on the top end, as I do like to kick it out while descending, so I think the Triple is my best option, however as I said above the Mirage 3x9 Speed seen to be discontinued. the best available is Campagnolo TRIPLE™ COMP which is a 10 speed system. Assuming I use this with a new triple Front derailleur, and I believe the shifter is compatible with both (confirmation from Suppless, thank you!) I am wondering can I leave the rear 9s Speed System in tack as is? do I need to change the 9s chain to the 10s chain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

You dont have to use a campy crankset.
    Have a look on ebay/crc/ribble/shiny bikes for an FSA/Truvativ/raceface/Shimano etc. You can use most brand cranksets.
    Yes a 10sp crank will be ok to use with 9sp chain.
    You may well need to get a longer cage Rear Mech if you are going the triple route as there will be a lot of slack to be taken up.

To be honest it may just be cheaper to get a compact and a cassette with a 12/or 11.

On a side note I amn't 100% sure the levers are comatible. I currently have a set of Record triple levers and the lever has 10 clicks whereas, if I remeber correctly,my Ultrashift Veloce's had nowhere near 10 clicks. But I do stand to be corrected.

• Advertisement
Advertisement