Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being in school and 18-supervison

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

spurious wrote: »
    OT, but how has your school's repeated widespread failure of Chemistry not come to the attention of the SEC?

I'd say if it's anything like mine was, the grades aren't noticeably lower - and maybe even higher! - because lots of the students will get grinds, especially in a subject like chemistry which can be a requirement for certain college courses.

My physics teacher was woeful but always had classes full of As - my LC class of ten had eight getting grinds, and everyone working harder on physics than most other things to make up for not covering stuff in class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Everyone is getting grinds in the class, as well as that the tests she sets are incredibly easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

I tried this approach when I was in 5th year. I asked the principal if I could sit out Computers, Religion and P.E as I was trying for medicine and needed to work on my French. He refused, citing the school rules but in 6th year when I took up Business Studies as an 8th subject I asked again and he was more accomodating.

I think it's really about how you ask and the strictness of your school. I had a friend who wrote a strongly worded letter regarding the religious tution and the teacher refused to teach him so he was given "detention" for every religion class in which he was allowed to work on other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Allie79

I totally understand where you're coming from, my chemistry teacher was appalling, we pre-prepared for classes, constantly corrected her while she was teaching (which she didn't enjoy but it didn't change anything even though some days it was every other sentence), got notes from other classes and other schools and shared them round the class. Every single assessment we had would result in her arriving in the classroom with swathes of notes covering material that we hadn't done that she realised the other chem teacher had put in the exam and we had to learn by tomorrow's exam. Nightmare. She was nice enough, just a rubbish teacher who'd been a research scientist (PhD in biochem) and then decided to teach and had been at the school forever so noone would hear anything bad about her! Good luck, I hope you sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I study in the assembly 6 classes a week, I went to my principle and deputy principle when I asked if I could just not go to the class. They didn't have a problem with me dropping the subject but insisted I sat in the class, the class was construction and at the time we had started preparing for the practical so there was no way I was getting any work done. I just sat out in the assembly anyway and nobody said anything.

I think my teachers have been more lax about it than they should be though, my deputy asked me one day if I was going to the class each day and making sure I was being put down on the roll, "Of course miss!" :P

I do get a good bit of work done in the free classes, so I reckon you should try it if you feel you'll benefit, Worst case scenario the teacher's will make you go back to class. (Glad it's not chemistry I have to take outside of school though, I can't imagine how I would have grasped some of the concepts on my own)

• Advertisement
Advertisement