Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Entry Level Road Bike €1,000 - €1,200

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭bonaparte2

check out what your man cadel evans rode in the tour, BMC
    anything else is a compromise and frankly a waste of time!

Seriously , they are all beautiful bikes, you can't go wrong

I started doing triathlons this year and needed to buy a road bike. I did too much research on the net, got too involved in the minutiae of components and stuff. I bought a felt f95 and am perfectly happy with it. I was measured for it and bought off a local bike shop. I think having the bike fit you perfectly and you liking it should be the main thing. I'm five minutes off the pace in any road race I enter so tech spec isn't going to help me. But I love the damn bike, and I never thought I'd say it but cycling is a pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

For 1000 euro my brother got one of the new Boardman bikes from Halfords, they are nice with a good spec. I used to have the last Boardman myself and it was a great bike i must admit.

here's a link to the one my brother got anyway: http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_777713_langId_-1_categoryId_212536

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭tech

where did you get the price for KTM 2000 ?? im looking at one of these myself

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Johnners1878

FWIW, I went through this process a couple of weeks back - checked out Treks, Giants, Specialized, etc. Didn't seriously look at web-only options. Ended up buying a Forme Vitesse for €1,100 (with a little haggling). The same spec big-brands were several hundred Euro more for similar spec - 105 Group set, Carbon Fork, Carbon Seat Post (on non-UK versions). So far, so good - I'm very happy with it.

Here's a review from BikeRadar - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-forme-vitesse-11-43327/

and one from Cycling Plus - http://www.formebikes.co.uk/press/reviews/article.php?id=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

In the same situaition myself,was looking at this www.eurocycles.ie/Road-b/Corratec/Corratec_Dolomiti_105/4651_p.aspx .I see it has the shimano 105,as opposed to the shimano tiagra. I am a complete newb myself,dont know if I would even notice the difference,just looking for the highest spec for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

For the models which you've linked at the respective prices which you've stated Cube>KTM>Ridley>Giant IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 joe1982

I bought a KTM last year and I cant fault the bike at all. Its got a full 105 groupset and it rides very well. Far better value than usual Trek, Giant bikes and a lot less of them to be seen on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2106

Full Ultegra 6700 group set and Aksium wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I'm looking myself at the moment, with a similar budget in mind. I've found that shops are willing to knock a nice bit off this year's models, as the 2012 ones will be coming in over the next month or so. The last road bike I bought was in August 2004, and I got 30% off a Trek, as it was the 04 model and the 2005s had just arrived in the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Another vote for Canyon. Brilliant bike.

Don't forget to budget for pedals, shoes and gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭dubdamo

www.eurocycles.ie/Road-b/Corratec/Corratec_Dolomiti_Ultegra/4050_p.aspx I noticed that this one has Ultegra and the Mavic Askium wheels like the canyon has.You also get a few bob of accessories under the cycle to work scheme.Think I might go with this one unless anyone has any doubts that they might like to share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

dubdamo wrote: »
    www.eurocycles.ie/Road-b/Corratec/Corratec_Dolomiti_Ultegra/4050_p.aspx I noticed that this one has Ultegra and the Mavic Askium wheels like the canyon has.You also get a few bob of accessories under the cycle to work scheme.Think I might go with this one unless anyone has any doubts that they might like to share.

Corratec are another kraut brand with a good reputation. That's a decent price.

nitrogen wrote: »
    Another vote for Canyon. Brilliant bike.

Don't forget to budget for pedals, shoes and gear.
    I'll vote for the Canyon also, i have the RoadLite 5.0 myself, Sram Apex groupset. Great bike for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sirlion

The Canyon is head and shoulders above the others spec wise alright........hhhmmm bit more to think about.......thks for the adivce/input people

Sirlion wrote: »
    The Canyon is head and shoulders above the others spec wise alright........hhhmmm bit more to think about.......thks for the adivce/input people
    Incase you are wondering by the way, the service i found to be great from them. The bike was shipped on time and all was well, i even went back and bought a Canyon yellowstone mountain bike.

Add an extra €20 on to the price of that Canyon to account for Irish VAT and then about €50 on top of that again to have it boxed shipped to your door. They are only available directly from the website so pick your size wisely.
    i even went back and bought a Canyon yellowstone mountain bike.
    Which one and how do you find it? I got the Grand Canyon AL 6.0 but I've been suggesting the Yellowstone 4.0 to a friend of mine.

Lemag wrote: »
    Add an extra €20 on to the price of that Canyon to account for Irish VAT and then about €50 on top of that again to have it boxed shipped to your door. They are only available directly from the website so pick your size wisely.

Which one and how do you find it? I got the Grand Canyon AL 6.0 but I've been suggesting the Yellowstone 4.0 to a friend of mine.
    Yeah i find it great, its my first mountain bike so i wouldn't be the most up on mountain biking tbh. But so far i have had lots of fun on it. The spec as you can see for the money can't be touched in a LBS over here.

How do you find the Grand Canyon by the way??, I would have liked that one myself but it was just a little bit out of my price range, i had already pushed the boat out from the 3.0.

The Grand Canyon is great. I had a nice full suspension bike a couple of years ago. Didn't get to take it off road - what a waste. I've taken the Canyon to Ballyhoura and have really enjoyed it. Looking at this thread though makes me wish I'd kept the full susser.

Anyhow, back OT. I also have a Canyon road bike (not the roadlite, mind) and can't fault it. OP, the roadlite 5.0 and 6.0 have already sold out so if you do decide to go for a Canyon you'll have to make your mind up fairly quickly. The 2012 bikes will probably be out within the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

one thing id say to OP if buying online would be to actually test a bike with that frame. I have the 2010 cube attempt myself very nice bike, and get good bit for money paid 1125 at time.
    Canyons are excellent value for money if you can test one to check frame size etc. Stay clear of treks and giants, very common and value for money in other brands.

Advertisement