Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Life in UCD?

Options
  • 01-08-2011 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Hey all I want to do Arts when I get my offers on 22nd August.

I want to do it in either Maynooth or UCD. I live in Leixlip so getting to Maynooth is handy but I've recently been concerned that I may not get the points.

So I was wondering about doing Arts Omnibus in UCD as it was 365 points last year, which is 10 less than Maynooth (375).

My only worry regarding UCD is that its such a huge university and people have told me its hard to make friends there as being in a 17,000 student university there is no sense of community. That is the up side to Maynooth because its only 8,000 students and its small enough to always see people around.

So in your experience of UCD is it easy to make friends just by joining clubs/societies?

Also whats the latest time the 66X returns to Leixlip? I'm worried I may not be able to attend many social outings if they are in the evening and that might make it awkward for me to get back to Leixlip.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Yes, it's bigger, and some people see it as less personal, but UCD is really what you make it.

You could sit back, not get involved in Socs / clubs, not go out on class nights out, and make no friends, and find it very impersonal.

Or, you can join Socs / clubs do class nights out make loads of friends and have the time of your life.

You get out what you put it. The more effort you make, the more friends you will gain.

Yes it really can be impersonal, but only if you let it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

I didnt really make any friends in first year at UCD because i did nothing whatsoever. I joined ****loads of socs but i never went to their meetings or went to groups mainly since I was 17 and wouldnt be able to get into nightclubs. I effectively wasted 20 euro on socs that i never went to... ever. Spent most of my days randoming around, i only made 1 proper good friend in first year. Since im now 18 im going to go on every night out with the main socs, and join volleyball etc. Like whats said above, what you put in is what you get out. The friend i made couldnt walk down a corridor without spotting a good friend you know. Its pretty much the same as every first year in college, its new, scary, you feel overwhelmed, but if you relax, talk to everyone in your class no matter what its about you'll make friends. Everyone is in the same boat as you, scared about making friends, so once you actually try, it will be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Ok just wondering will there be accomodation places left for 1st years when the LC results/offers come out?

I really don't want to make up my mind until I know for sure if I'm going NUIM or UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

I didnt put my name down for a residence until the week after I accepted my place, I got offered one in the end but according to my brother is wasnt the best so I just ignored it. Put your name down right now, they give you a timeframe to accept it and then if you accept but decide to go to NUIM you can just cancel it! So go ahead, either way it'll be worth it!

Advertisement