Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Wireless Router?

Options
  • 01-08-2011 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Brother has a large house and has eircom broadband installed. Just a standard telephone cable into back of router as they are based in Cavan. I am looking for an extended wireless router I could use instead of the standard Eircom one they supply. Any ideas? one that is supported with the telephone connection

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Brother has a large house and has eircom broadband installed. Just a standard telephone cable into back of router as they are based in Cavan. I am looking for an extended wireless router I could use instead of the standard Eircom one they supply. Any ideas? one that is supported with the telephone connection

I am not quite sure what being based in Cavan has to do with a standard telephone cable going into the back of the router? Thats the way dsl bb works everywhere!

I presume that you want to find a router with a stronger signal? The unfortunate thing is that it is very difficult to predict the performance of wireless equipment in any particular situation - it might be that plugs might provide a better solution that wireless.

Just an example:

http://netgear.co.uk/home/products/powerline-and-coax/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You're not listening, there's no such thing as a stronger wireless router, if they advertise as such its just "go faster stripes". If its a large house you need to investigate other methods; cable directly to the devices, use homeplugs or cable and add a second wireless device on another channel to cover the areas of low signal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You're not listening, there's no such thing as a stronger wireless router, if they advertise as such its just "go faster stripes". If its a large house you need to investigate other methods; cable directly to the devices, use homeplugs or cable and add a second wireless device on another channel to cover the areas of low signal

Who wasn't listening?????

The question was if any of the above wireless routers would work with Eircom. Nothing about stronger router. Simple question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Who wasn't listening?????

The question was if any of the above wireless routers would work with Eircom. Nothing about stronger router. Simple question

Ok, what did you mean by "extended wireless router"? :confused:

None of those you listed will work on their own with Eircom without using the existing modem to connect to the Eircom socket on the wall. They're routers, You need a modem router with an rj11 phone jack.

You'd need an adsl modem router like this:
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/18_NETWORK/14_ROUTER/productdetails/10022277/Linksys_Wireless_N_Home_ADSL2%2b_Modem_Router/WAG120N_EW/default.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement