Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I do to make this better?

Options
  • 01-08-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

I have this old piece of you know what, no money YET, to build a completly new one, just want to know how to make the most of what I have, dont suggest to get a completly new one , I just want to know that If I had to, what could I do to make the most out of this PC, for gaming.
    And yes, again its pretty sh!t.

D915GUX Motherboard
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    2GB Ram
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
    GeForce FX 5200
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

airmax87 wrote: »
    I have this old piece of you know what, no money YET, to build a completly new one, just want to know how to make the most of what I have, dont suggest to get a completly new one , I just want to know that If I had to, what could I do to make the most out of this PC, for gaming.

D915GUX Motherboard
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
    2GB Ram
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
    GeForce FX 5200
    Realtek High Definition Audio

not being smart - feck all...

i would not waste money putting money in to that. biulding a freash pc will be cheaper.

Is it prebiult? if not, you might salvage a case, ather then that - bin. Even then i would just suggest biulding new pc and keep this one as multimedia centre etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

shadowhealth is indeed correct saddly the pc is more or less at a dead upgrade wise and what little you can do to it would cost way to much because components become more expensive after they stop making them yur better off waiting till you can afford to build a new pc will cost you alot less in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Cheers, just needed to know a straight awnser, Could I keep the dvd drive,hard drives, and case and just get everything else yeah ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well. In all fairness hdd and dvd roms are dirt cheap these days. It's allways better have a fresh hdd for new system.

I don't know about case. That's why I asked about pc: was it pre built or custom built.

If it is aftermarket third party case, then you shouldn't have problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

well it also depends on what interface they have aswell, aslong the interface of the two are sata there grand but considering that the pc is a pentium 4 based pc i'd say there ide which are pretty much usless now as most new motherboards dont support them anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

airmax87 wrote: »

You could try slap a slightly newier low end gfx card into this PC and it would do for older games/running the new stuff on low settings.

It really depends on what type of games you want to play and if you have a PCI express slot on your motherboard.

What games do you want to play? @ what settings?

If you do decide to build new: bin all of the old pc none of the parts are worth keeping, you are better flogging the old pc after giving the harddrive(s) a good dban wipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

As Uberpixie asked - what games you want to play? I guess for around 100eur upgrades you can play something like Counter Strike etc..many good games based on DX9 graphics..

BUT it requires you got good Power unit - what brand, model, watts? there should be sticker easily visible when you open a side panel of the case?

Motherboard: Intel D915GUX CPU socket (Socket 775)
    • 4 x DDR2 SDRAM DIMM (differ by color, grouped in pairs)
    • 1 x PCI-E x16 (with a latch)
    • 1 x PCI-E x1
    • 2 x PCI 32-bit 33 MHz
    • Power supply: standard EPS12V (24 pins), AUX, and 4-pin connector for 12 V
    • 1 x FDD
    • 1 x IDE (Parallel ATA) – in the chipset
    • 4 x SATA (Serial ATA) – all in the chipset
    • 2 x USB 2.0 (for additional brackets)
    • Header for a chassis intrusion sensor
    • Header for the bracket with additional Audio-Outs
    • 3 fan headers (each with rpm control).
    You can buy 2gb-kit RAM upgrade for 22eur. Thats cheap np.

Then maybe check out Adverts.ie for GPU bargains like Nvidia 8800GT, Nvidia 9800GT, Nvidia Gtx260, ATI HD4850.. these are all worth under 90eur as second hand but faster than new cards in the same price range!
    Also find out the length of the card you choose if it fits to your PC case?
    What size case you got? Measure the distance between back panel and hard-drive rack.

Even if you had more money it's useless buying better graphics because Pentium4 processor will become huge bottleneck.
    * Ebay finds you the maximum 3.6Ghz CPU your motherboard eats for £29 postage included. But I m not sure how big boost this would be compared to your 3Ghz now.

*New gaming rig could cost you around 500eur if you go that road*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

I can alreayd play CS, piss easy to run, It runs unreal tournament 2004 fine aswell wiht the settings on medium, I'm just going to get a whole new computer, cheers for the help.

Advertisement