Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directions from Newry station to Quays shopping centre

Options
  • 01-08-2011 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

In Dublin next week and thinking of heading up to Newry to the shopping centres but not sure of where everything is in relation to the station. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭JG1

As Victor said there should be a free shuttle bus from the train station which will leave you at the bus station. The bus station is a skip to Buttercrane shopping centre which is also very close to the Quays shopping centre. Alternatively you could get the bus to Newry from Dublin, think they go every hour (slightly longer journey) and that will save you transferring from the train into town - more time for shopping!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, consider the prices of travelling direct from home to Newry -v- separate tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

JG1 wrote: »
    As Victor said there should be a free shuttle bus from the train station which will leave you at the bus station. The bus station is a skip to Buttercrane shopping centre which is also very close to the Quays shopping centre. Alternatively you could get the bus to Newry from Dublin, think they go every hour (slightly longer journey) and that will save you transferring from the train into town - more time for shopping!
    Victor wrote: »
    Oh, consider the prices of travelling direct from home to Newry -v- separate tickets.

Thanks a million guys for the replies, hadn't considered taking the bus so will check out the prices, usually drive or go by train, so will check it all out. Thanks again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 grahamal2003

Having spent more than two hours trying to find Newry train station I can now reveal where it is located. I live in Drogheda. I took the M1 to Newry ( becomes the N1 at Dundalk and then the A1, but all the same stretch of motorway). Do not exit at the first exit off the A1 marked Newry (Mourne coastal route). Do exit at the second exit ( a couple of miles further north) marked 'Daisy Hill Hospital' and also 'A25 Camlough, Market hill, Bessbrook etc'. Turn right at the end of the slip road. You are now on the roundabout. After the 'A1 Belfast road,' exit take the very next left. It is marked with a sign with a symbol of a train on it but keep your eyes peeled. You will know that you are on the right road as you will see B@Q at the bottom of the hill. Four hundred yards down this road is a sign pointing left and marked 'Train station'. Turn left and drive up the hill. At the top is Newry train station. Car parking is free and cars can be left overnight. The train station is closed at 22.30 except Sundays when it is closed at 21.30. This is a big modern train station with toilets and vending machines. I nominate this station as one of Northern Ireland's best kept secrets. Even the locals don't know where it is. :0). Its not marked on any map, including the map of Newry handed out by the tourist information office. Help!!! NB. If you take the turn off on the roundabout marked 'Daisy Hill Hospital ... Newry North' then you have missed the turn off to the train station. Go back around the roundabout and take the turn off just before the 'Daisy Hill Hospital' turn off but just after the 'Belfast A1' exit. Good luck!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Having spent more than two hours trying to find Newry train station I can now reveal where it is located. I live in Drogheda. I took the M1 to Newry. Do not exit at the first exit off the M1 marked Newry (Mourne coastal route).

Just to clarify, it's the A1 at that stage. The M1 from Dublin becomes the N1 north of Dundalk and then the A1 at the border. It's all motorway-standard, however, at least until it gets north of Newry, when it isn't just so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 grahamal2003

Thanks Richard. I have added this information to the original directions. Hopefully all who seek the station will find it from now on, including all those baffled tourists who have searched in vain. :0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Hi this is an old thread I know but thinking of heading up within the next few weeks. How long and how much would a taxi be from the train station to the town centre?. Is it very far from shopping facilities?. Never been across the Irish border and think I'd really like to go this summer. Coming from Clare even getting to Dublin take's a few hours, so I had been thinking Newry, but if the train station is badly located? :) thanks S

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Check if the free bus is still running. I'm not sure if it takes you all the way to the Quays SC?

Taxi trip would be 3.4km each way. I don't know if there is a rank at the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

So does anyone know then if there is taxi's at the station? Is there anything at all at the train station?Fresh coffee?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Unless you're already near a train station, the bus is way handier.

It lands in center of town (hourly). From the buscentre (they sell coffee etc) take a bearing of 145o (SW) 150meters and you're at buttercrane which has a very good fx bureau near the entrance (closest to inter-bank rates). Keep heading same bearing 145o, out the other side of this center, cross the busy road and you're at the 2nd shop center (Quays).

Alternatively head 270o (W) 200m from the bus arrival and you're at Argoose, TkMax etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement