Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Erasmus Question

Options
  • 01-08-2011 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm doing business and law, just wondering in relation to the erasmus, what level of french would I need to have to be able to go and to get on ok with the work in France?
    I got an A2 in honours French, but haven't spoken it in over a year. I'd be willing to take lessons once a week for the year before I go, but I feel that that still wouldn't be enough to cope with business and law in french!
    Anyone have any experience of an erasmus in europe without having the language as part of your degree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I did erasmus in Lyon a few years back in a different college. Hadn't spoken french in years but you pick it up pretty quickly once you are "living the language".

Would be very wary of French colleges, I went to a Grand École and they were pretty hardcore. My own universities coordinator was also useless and had no idea about Erasmus as a whole and was no help to us. 3 out of 4 of us who went from our college were failed and had to re-sit the year.

If you plan on doing it make sure your coorindator is up to scratch, knows how many credits you have to do and how they transfer (if at all). French college system is very different to ours. Courses stop and start on various dates and aren't broken into semesters. We'd a few courses worth 2 ECTS credits that only ran for a few weeks and others which spread over the 2 semesters. Also 40% is considered a fail there, pass mark in the university I attended was 50% and they will not transfer credits regardless if UCD's pass mark is 40.

Having said all that I wouldn't trade it for the world, met amazing people, learned a new language and culture. Academically it was useless though, but that was more down to the organisation or lack there of from my own university.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Jigglypuff

Will wrote: »
    I did erasmus in Lyon a few years back in a different college. Hadn't spoken french in years but you pick it up pretty quickly once you are "living the language".

Would be very wary of French colleges, I went to a Grand École and they were pretty hardcore. My own universities coordinator was also useless and had no idea about Erasmus as a whole and was no help to us. 3 out of 4 of us who went from our college were failed and had to re-sit the year.

If you plan on doing it make sure your coorindator is up to scratch, knows how many credits you have to do and how they transfer (if at all). French college system is very different to ours. Courses stop and start on various dates and aren't broken into semesters. We'd a few courses worth 2 ECTS credits that only ran for a few weeks and others which spread over the 2 semesters. Also 40% is considered a fail there, pass mark in the university I attended was 50% and they will not transfer credits regardless if UCD's pass mark is 40.

Having said all that I wouldn't trade it for the world, met amazing people, learned a new language and culture. Academically it was useless though, but that was more down to the organisation or lack there of from my own university.

Thanks for the reply.
    Can I ask what level of French you had before you went to France and was any support given to you in the run-up/in France RE speaking the language?

Am I right in saying it's only our own registration fee plus living expenses? Did you find the living expenses cheaper in Lyon?

I would be concerned about the academic part, I wonder would employers look negatively on my degree if the college in France turned out to be sub-par academically, I think it's only worth going if it's a decent college so I'd have to look into the options and make sure it's properly organised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Jigglypuff wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    Can I ask what level of French you had before you went to France and was any support given to you in the run-up/in France RE speaking the language?

Am I right in saying it's only our own registration fee plus living expenses? Did you find the living expenses cheaper in Lyon?

I would be concerned about the academic part, I wonder would employers look negatively on my degree if the college in France turned out to be sub-par academically, I think it's only worth going if it's a decent college so I'd have to look into the options and make sure it's properly organised!

I had leaving cert French but hadn't spoken it until I went and moved to France. So about a 3 year absence. Secondary school french is not enough. The university ran a 2 week course prior to the start of the year which gave us a leg up. To be honest I wouldn't worry about the language barrier, you will get there.

Registration which you pay to UCD I'm guessing, then rent and living expenses. Stuff is cheaper in France as a general rule yes.

Find out what universities they are offering and if you want PM me. Can give you a run through. I was studying computer science so it's going to be a lot different to what you are doing. Most employers were impressed that I spent a year abroad and went through uni there all through French.

Advertisement